Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiesavant View Post
Canada does not have the particular 14% minority. Most Canadian cities and towns outside the big areas like Toronto and Vancouver get close to 100% white.
Please back up your post by naming the Canadian cities which are close to 100% white. Inquiring minds and all that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 09:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
About the gun issue....

It may not be a right, but many Canadians own guns, and I personally think the licensing system is fair and encourages responsible ownership. Convicted criminals are generally unable to purchase or own firearms legally in Canada, and country isn't awash with millions upon millions of firearms, so it's not easy to get your hands on an illegal one. A $500 Glock 9mm costs about $2000 on the streets of Toronto if you are one of the few people with deep enough criminal connections to even have a source for an Illegal (usually US-sourced) firearm. So it is not a situation of the bad guys having all the guns while law-abiding Canadians have no access to them. Except for a few gangbangers and those living in the wilderness, there are very few Canadians who would think they need a firearm to protect their personal safety. Civility goes a long way.
I understand the "need" but it's not about the need.

It is about freedom of choice.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Apparently, JTF2 go to a lot of places nobody else gives a sh1t about, I have a lot of respect for them...they were in Jamaica recently training local counter-terrorist-anti-drug-king-pin team to become "tier one". There's a place that could use some help! So they're getting help, which is good.
Definitely need to show them some respect here.

Canadians are some of the best soldiers in the world for a reason and JTF2 is a good example of this.

But .. here is always the big but.

I have my own favorite special force unit. JTF2 is not one of them.

I think this thread becomes lame. It kind of proves OP's point now.. Why the silly comparison? Both countries are great. Good neighbor, great country.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Guns are available to Canadians if they want to have one and fill out the necessary paperwork however the Canadian culture for the most part doesnt feel the need to be armed to the teeth to carry on normal every day activities.
Here in Montreal if you want a gun =https://www.google.ca/search?site=&s...k1.S0GdlP6XbjU

Some stats=
Gun violence by the numbers: How America, Canada and the world compare - National | Globalnews.ca

IMO to use gun ownership as the main criteria of your freedom speaks to a very tenuous base for your culture.

PS. As this letter is addressed to Canadians why isnt it posted in the Canada section instead of the American politics section.?
I know because I had the license to purchase firearm when I was in Canada.

Once again, it is about the freedom of choice not about firearm ownership.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So guns prevented the US government from puting the Japanese Americans into camps? No it did not.

Do you not think your health insurance company does not negotiate prices with hospitals and pharmaceutical companies?

And the whole idea that you could protect yourself from the army or that the army will come for you sounds ludicrous.

No one is coming down my street with a machette, the government is not coming to put me in a camp and if they were I'd rather have a rifle than a hand gun and I can legally and easily obtain one and many in my neighborhood would already own one. The last firearms I have fire were an assult rifle and two machine guns, much more powerful than your 9mm I would guess.

That we cannot defend ourselves if need be sounds like a commercial from the NRA.

Do we not have the right to self-defense? Against criminals and a tyrannical government?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Don't take it personally OP. Most Canadians appreciate and like us and all you really need to know is that there is a reason they often feel the need to point out our faults and it doesn't involve confidence.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I understand the "need" but it's not about the need.

It is about freedom of choice.
If it is strickly a mater of choice and not a perceived need why bring up the raping of daughters and wives? You want to always be able to carry a gun, you are allowed to in the States. If that is your measure of freedom then of course you would think that no place other than perhaps Yemen is as free as your own country.

We have made a choice to not be a carbon copy of the USA. If we has to adopt all your laws and ideology about safety nets and universal heath care we might as well surrender ourselves and be a colony of it. We have the freedom to make our own society and even in the 1880s guns were less common north of the border. Having to be just like you or your country is neither freedom nor choice.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:51 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do we not have the right to self-defense? Against criminals and a tyrannical government?
Canadians have the freedom to choose the politians they want and have the laws they want to have. Americans don't have a vote. If you don't want to respect our laws, don't visit.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM

27 posts, read 18,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
They come down into the political forum and argue American politics with their Canadian thoughts.

They think they live in a country that is just soooo much better than ours, makes me laugh. They can do all they do basically because of us then want to get a dig in here and there. 90% of their population lives like within 100 miles of our border yet we suck? Uh huh, sure thing.

Some Canadians I know especially relatives, like to verbally trash our country and my state, then refuse to go into Canada. They talk about how wonderful it is then live here Or the fact they know nothing of our laws or ways of governance and like to dictate to us what we should be doing. Thats like me telling you how to fix your computer... Reminds me of ole Honest Abe...

The fact is, Canada is "NOTHING" without the USA. A little respect and humility goes a long way.

Anyways if you want to argue Canadian politics down here be my guest. We don't care.

Just stay out of ours!!!

Do you have a link for this story? A citation?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If it is strickly a mater of choice and not a perceived need why bring up the raping of daughters and wives? You want to always be able to carry a gun, you are allowed to in the States. If that is your measure of freedom then of course you would think that no place other than perhaps Yemen is as free as your own country.

We have made a choice to not be a carbon copy of the USA. If we has to adopt all your laws and ideology about safety nets and universal heath care we might as well surrender ourselves and be a colony of it. We have the freedom to make our own society and even in the 1880s guns were less common north of the border. Having to be just like you or your country is neither freedom nor choice.
I brought up the raping to illustrate that you don't see you have the right to self preservation. You have surrendered that right to the government which is not even responsible for you.

I am not questioning the choice Canadians made, even I strongly disagree, but USA is better in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies