Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:05 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
While that is true for the non-driver. If the driver refuses to participate in a sobriety test, he will lose his driver license.
That is not answering a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No need to submit to the local police, walk where you want to go.
I have been harassed while walking.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
The courts have determined that sobriety checkpoint do not violate any constitutional rights. The Constitution delegates that authority to the court, not to you. If you refuse to cooperate, you will lose your right to drive. It's that simple. You have no constitutional right to operate a motor vehicle.
That's such a silly argument. The constitutional does not explicitly give you the right to spit in your bathtub either.

Clearly, the tenth amendment gives the people the power to spit in their bathtub and drive a car.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Old 08-27-2016, 04:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
No need to submit to the local police, walk where you want to go.
Tell that to the innocent people in NYC who are stopped and frisked just because of the way they looked.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Tell that to the innocent people in NYC who are stopped and frisked just because of the way they looked.
I am 68 and was stopped while walking with my weapon, a cane.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Right on cue. From a sobriety checkpoint to cops killing. Thanks for being predictable.
An excellent example of a poster missing the forest for the trees.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:57 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
An excellent example of a poster missing the forest for the trees.
A perfect example of someone that likes to use hyperbole and can't deal with a realistic response to how a normal person weighs options. You are free to react just like the kid in the video and I am free to give an answer and be on my way if I choose. It's really quite simple. As for your sensationalizing, one has nothing to do with the other, but please continue with your non sequiturs and Henny Penny type antics. I've been listening to people saying "the sky is falling" for years if we don't do "x". The sky looks just fine to me, but the scare tactics are always entertaining. Perhaps running down to City Hall with like minded people with pitchforks and sticks on fire will solve your dilemma.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 08-28-2016 at 04:09 AM..

Old 08-28-2016, 05:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The easy way to handle sobriety checkpoints is to be SOBER!

I do NOT want to share the roads with drunks, stoners or opiate users. I do not believe I have a duty to let myself be checked by the police for the above while I am using my car on a public road.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:04 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The easy way to handle sobriety checkpoints is to be SOBER!

I do NOT want to share the roads with drunks, stoners or opiate users. I do not believe I have a duty to let myself be checked by the police for the above while I am using my car on a public road.
Would you support checkpoints at every intersection? Where do you draw the line?

I have a problem with these checkpoints because they violate reasonable suspicion laws. They treat everyone as guilty. It would be wrong for cops to pull over every single driver just to check if they have been drinking. So it should be wrong for checkpoints to be set up.

Pull over drivers who appear to be drunk, but do not punish those who are not.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
The courts have determined that sobriety checkpoint do not violate any constitutional rights. The Constitution delegates that authority to the court, not to you. If you refuse to cooperate, you will lose your right to drive. It's that simple. You have no constitutional right to operate a motor vehicle.
I'm well aware that checkpoints have been ruled as legal. I said that checkpoints violate the intent of the 4th amendment.

Also, I never said anyone had a right to drive.

However, you do have the right to travel freely, including in a car, on public roads.

I'm not aware of any states where you have to answer questions at a checkpoint. Depending on the state, you only have to stop at the checkpoint, some states require you to show your paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies