Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Yap, yap, yap. This is a bunch of garbage. The U.S. isn't losing our soverignity, the U.S. isn't building a "superhighway."

The state of Texas is building a highway. People are upset in Texas. Big deal. I can't make decisions for the people in Texas.

All this is evidence of is the poor state of public education in our country.
Oh, I get it now! *smacks forehead* You're having a bit of fun here with us. A little baiting, if you will. I had a feeling when you were playing ignorant about the NAU issue that something was up. I was thinking, nobody can possibly be this clueless... I see I was wrong!

Well...you know what they say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh, I get it now! *smacks forehead* You're having a bit of fun here with us. A little baiting, if you will. I had a feeling when you were playing ignorant about the NAU issue that something was up. I was thinking, nobody can possibly be this clueless... I see I was wrong!

Well...you know what they say...
Disagreeing with this is hardly trolling, your point of view is disputed by many, including FactCheck and Snopes.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Disagreeing with this is hardly trolling, your point of view is disputed by many, including FactCheck and Snopes.

Oh please. This guy isn't disagreeing with me, he's just looking to antagonize anyone who is against the entire project. He's denying it even exists anywhere else. Come on!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh, I get it now! *smacks forehead* You're having a bit of fun here with us. A little baiting, if you will. I had a feeling when you were playing ignorant about the NAU issue that something was up.
Earlier, my questions were earnest. I wanted to know if there was a credible, impartial person out there, who had an informed opinion on this NAU, and the NAFTA superhighway. I approached this with an open mind.

What did I determine?

This whole "issue" is garbage. It is a phantom issue, based on a combination of irresponsible journalism, xenophobia, ignorance about how state government works, ignorance about how federal government works, a misunderstanding of Economics 101, and just a dash of gullibility.

Do you have any idea how the EU was formed? The intense scrutiny? The compromises? The referendums?
Europeans wanted an EU to happen, and it took years of political struggle. Americans don't want an NAU, and you think it is going to pop up overnight?

Quote:
I was thinking, nobody can possibly be this clueless... I see I was wrong!
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth.
No buddy, I don't think so. In your case, I've licensed, trademarked, and patented those words!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Thumbs down Republicans wanted this ~ thank you!

You can thank George H.W. Bush for starting it, and Bill Clinton for signing it off and then take the time to thank each one of your elected officials. Seems there were lots of Republicans in favor.

Quote:
After intense political debate and the negotiation of these side agreements, the U.S. House passed NAFTA on November 17, 1993, by 234-200 vote (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor; 156 Democrats, 43 Republicans, and 1 independent against),[7] and the U.S. Senate passed it on the last day of its 1993 session, Saturday, November 20, 1993, by 61-38 vote (34 Republicans and 27 Democrats voting in favor; 28 Democrats and 10 Republicans against, with 1 Democrat opponent not voting).[8]

North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The whole issue of NAFTA and this Superhighway is corporate greed for the wealthy. If they stand to make money at it ~ it will be done at the expense of those who lose property, homes and jobs. There isn’t anything of value in this type of highway from the gulf to Canada.

Those in Washington have no desire to help American voters unless they get paid for it. America for Sale and foreign investors are willing to buy it at 10 cents on the dollar. Now that the dollar is much less in value they are willing to buy it dirt-cheap.

Remember our seaports on the east and west coasts? They are now controlled by a company in United Arab Emirates and yes that’s located beside Saudi Arabia. This is the country that George Bush sir and jr. are good friends. It’s nice to keep things in the family and close friends.

Don’t be surprised if the next land for sale are the National Forest or the National Parks in the country.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
If the NAU is such a myth, then why is our government trying to pass resolutions to ban it ? Twice they brought forward a resolution and twice it got shot down.

North American Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In September 2006, U.S. Representative Virgil Goode proposed with six co-sponsors non-binding House Concurrent Resolution 487, which specifically outlined opposition to a North American Union or a NAFTA Superhighway as a threat to U.S. sovereignty. The bill never left committee.[19] The same resolution was reintroduced by Goode in January 2007 for the 110th Congress as House Concurrent Resolution 40, this time with forty-three cosponsors,[20] including 2008 Republican presidential candidates Duncan Hunter, Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo, who have all expressed opposition to a North American Union during their campaigns

Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I'm not a conspiracy theory believer but I do try to stay in touch with what is going on.
Government websites post all this stuff. Just because the papers don't have this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Start expanding your knowledge.

When the government reports that we gained 20,000 jobs in a month..go read the report on the government website and you'll see that yes, we gained 20,000 service jobs but lost 50,000 white collar professional jobs.

When the government reports that core inflation is only 2% go read the report and you'll see that core inflation is inflation minus energy and food. Well I don't know about you..but energy and food play a big part in my life. Real inflation is much higher.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If the NAU is such a myth, then why is our government trying to pass resolutions to ban it ? Twice they brought forward a resolution and twice it got shot down.
Well, for one, that resolution simply acted as a reassurance to the xenophobes that it wouldn't happen. The tiny minority of senators who even recognize this as a legitimate issue are all against it. This should be encouraging to those of you who are terrified that we are losing our soverignity.

Second, when a senator from Lard Bucket, Alabama proposes a resolution, it doesn't mean that "The government is trying to ban it." It means that a Senator from Lard Bucket is trying to ban it.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not a conspiracy theory believer but I do try to stay in touch with what is going on.
Government websites post all this stuff. Just because the papers don't have this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Start expanding your knowledge.
Well, then, O Wise One, enlighten me. Point me to a website whose domain ends with .gov, that confirms the existance of the NAU or NAFTA superhighway. I mean, hell, that's all I really wanted from the beginning: a credible source.

Quote:
When the government reports that we gained 20,000 jobs in a month..go read the report on the government website and you'll see that yes, we gained 20,000 service jobs but lost 50,000 white collar professional jobs.
Yup, you're right. Statistics can be misleading. Maybe it says "We gained 10,000 jobs!" So you think it is good news.

But then, it really means, "We gained 10,000 jobs, but lost 15,000 jobs." So you think it is bad news.

But then, come to find out, those 10,000 new jobs were worth $750 million in GDP, and those 15,000 jobs we lost were worth $500 million in GDP. So you go back to thinking it is good news.

But then, you find out that those 10,000 new jobs are in Oregon, and those 15,000 jobs were lost in your state. So it is bad news.

But then you realize, at the end of the day, there is no such thing as a NAFTA superhighway or an NAU, and that politicians are feeding off your xenophobia and distrust of Mexicans. So that's good news. Or maybe it's bad news. I don't know.

Last edited by anonymous; 02-22-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies