Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 03:39 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,763,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So he paid her off, instead of paying a legal penalty for his criminal behavior. I would have pressed charges and outed him for the thug loser he is. There is no excuse.
She didn't want to go through any court/legal appearances and wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. She also never went back to that particular club.

Her family told her to stop putting bumper stickers and lawn signs in her yard. The golf club thing happened in 2008. She has had signs stolen out of her yard as well since then so this is not just something that liberals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,640,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I have a couple of farms about an hour from where I live. On one farm, I have a very nice house and grounds which I allow all of the "locals" to use whenever they want. Most of the people in that area are very nice.

At this location, I have now had my EIGHTH Trump sign destroyed/vandalized. There are two cops who hunt on my land, one who fishes, and another who gets wood to heat his house. I finally called the cops (I know them all) and they are simply going to wait and arrest the offender, as the signs last about 4-6 hours.

It is sad that anyone would destroy political signs, but I will take pleasure in the knowledge that the liberal doing so will not be able to vote as a result of their effort to suppress any opposition views. What kind of idiot does such a thing? I despise Hillary; however, I would never remove/destroy a Hillary sign, as such behavior is childish and absurd.

Liberalism = Fascism
Maybe it was a disgruntled Cruz supporter

Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,004,603 times
Many of the liberals in this post are guilty of victim blaming.

"Victim blaming occurs when the victim of a crime or any wrongful act is held entirely or partially responsible for the harm that befell them. The study of victimology seeks to mitigate the perception of victims as responsible."

Victims of crimes are often accused of lying or are blamed for not taking proper steps to protect themselves. They are also often told that it's "not a big deal."

It is never appropriate or acceptable to blame a victim when someone else commits a crime against them.

It doesn't matter if you think it's petty or stupid or if you think the victim should've done things differently. That's the definition of victim blaming, actually.

Last edited by lkmax; 08-30-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 PM

952 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Many of the liberals in this post are guilty of victim blaming.

"Victim blaming occurs when the victim of a crime or any wrongful act is held entirely or partially responsible for the harm that befell them. The study of victimology seeks to mitigate the perception of victims as responsible."

Victims of crimes are often accused of lying or are blamed for not taking proper steps to protect themselves. They are also often told that it's "not a big deal."

It is never appropriate or acceptable to blame a victim when someone else commits a crime against them.

It doesn't matter if you think it's petty or stupid or if you think the victim should've done things differently. That's the definition of victim blaming, actually.
Not buying it. When it happens 8 times and you do nothing to prevent it, your not a 'victim' any more. Expecting others to guard his property at tax payers expense and do nothing on his own is selfish and self centered at that point.

Rest assured that he doesn't leave his doors unlocked or his windows open for intruders. Doesn't leave a vehicle there with the keys in it, or any of the outbuildings wide open.

No. He'll protect anything that has any value to him except his dumb sign. Wake up.

He's darn lucky that his biggest complaint about an unoccupied farm house is a missing sign.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
Not buying it. When it happens 8 times and you do nothing to prevent it, your not a 'victim' any more. Expecting others to guard his property at tax payers expense and do nothing on his own is selfish and self centered at that point.

Rest assured that he doesn't leave his doors unlocked or his windows open for intruders. Doesn't leave a vehicle there with the keys in it, or any of the outbuildings wide open.

No. He'll protect anything that has any value to him except his dumb sign. Wake up.
So if a woman is sexually harassed on eight different occasions while wearing her favorite skirt, she's not a victim anymore? It only counts the first or second time, right? After that, she should know better and should cover it up?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
So if a woman is sexually harassed on eight different occasions while wearing her favorite skirt, she's not a victim anymore? It only counts the first or second time, right? After that, she should know better and should cover it up?
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Women are smarter than that, and would have done something about it the first or second time.

Sexual harassment is a much more serious crime than sign stealing and no woman would expect the local cops to follow her around and make sure it doesn't happen again when she chooses to wear her 'favorite skirt'.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
Now you're putting words in my mouth. Women are smarter than that, and would have done something about it the first or second time.

Sexual harassment is a much more serious crime than sign stealing and no woman would expect the local cops to follow her around and make sure it doesn't happen again when she chooses to wear her 'favorite skirt'.
I'm a woman. I'm smarter than what? What am I supposed to "do about it" after the first or second time? Not wear the skirt anymore? Why? Because I should allow criminals to prevent me from wearing what I want to wear? Or, in the case of the sign, because I should allow people to prevent me from putting up a sign in my yard, on my own property?

Of course sexual harassment is a much more serious crime than sign stealing, but the point still remains. If I'm wearing a short skirt and a man harasses me, it's not my fault. Maybe I could have prevented it by wearing pants instead, just as the OP could have prevented his signs from being stolen by stashing them in a building at nighttime or not putting them out in the first place. However, it's still not my fault if a man commits a crime against me (such as sexual harassment), just as it's not the OP's fault if someone commits a crime against him (such as stealing or destroying a sign).

It is never appropriate to blame the victim for the crime. Period. I shouldn't have to change how I dress if a man touches me inappropriately because he is the one who is in the wrong, no matter what. I also shouldn't have to change what I put in my yard if someone steals or defaces it because that person is the one who is in the wrong, not me.

Last edited by lkmax; 08-31-2016 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I'm a woman. I'm smarter than what? What am I supposed to "do about it" after the first or second time? Not wear the skirt anymore? Why? Because I should allow criminals to prevent me from wearing what I want to wear? Or, in the case of the sign, because I should allow people to prevent me from putting up a sign in my yard, on my own property?

Of course sexual harassment is a much more serious crime than sign stealing, but the point still remains. If I'm wearing a short skirt and a man harasses me, it's not my fault. Maybe I could have prevented it by wearing pants instead, just as the OP could have prevented his signs from being stolen by stashing them in a building at nighttime or not putting them out in the first place. However, it's still not my fault if a man commits a crime against me (such as sexual harassment), just as it's not the OP's fault if someone commits a crime against him (such as stealing or destroying a sign).

It is never appropriate to blame the victim for the crime. Period. I shouldn't have to change how I dress if a man touches me inappropriately because he is the one who is in the wrong, no matter what. I also shouldn't have to change what I put in my yard if someone steals or defaces it because that person is the one who is in the wrong, not me.
I agree. If a man touches you inappropriately it is not your fault. If you report it and are able to name the perp someone should respond and take your complaint seriously.

BUT they will not follow you around to make sure it never happens again. That is on you if it really bothers you that much, That is just common sense.

Call them again if you need to. Call them every time you want to leave the house in your favorite skirt and see if they will come and accompany you on your merry way. That is what he presumes to be asking.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 AM

35,431 posts, read 20,796,828 times
ok getting off course... this is a sign and he probably has a neighbor who he disputes with- for all kinds of reasons-the normal "Hatfields and McCoys" syndrome, nothing more -- unless lives in a windy area and the signs just BLOWS away!!

Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,643,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I have a couple of farms about an hour from where I live. On one farm, I have a very nice house and grounds which I allow all of the "locals" to use whenever they want. Most of the people in that area are very nice.

At this location, I have now had my EIGHTH Trump sign destroyed/vandalized. There are two cops who hunt on my land, one who fishes, and another who gets wood to heat his house. I finally called the cops (I know them all) and they are simply going to wait and arrest the offender, as the signs last about 4-6 hours.

It is sad that anyone would destroy political signs, but I will take pleasure in the knowledge that the liberal doing so will not be able to vote as a result of their effort to suppress any opposition views. What kind of idiot does such a thing? I despise Hillary; however, I would never remove/destroy a Hillary sign, as such behavior is childish and absurd.

Liberalism = Fascism
Interesting isn't it, that the so called "tolerant" left is nothing of the kind?

It's the Hilary and Sanders voters who go to the rallies of the other candidates and shout, push, call people names, and start fights, and travel in mobs to chase people down and beat the crap out of them. Or destroy their yard signs.

My experience has been, that if a liberal finds out you are a conservative or Republican, they instantly hate your guts, and assume all those wild negative stereotypes apply to you. Anything they do to you is then justified, because you are an evil, filthy rich racist, bigot, misogynist, homophobe, gun nut, etc... In your case, even though they know you are a good person, they still destroy your signs.

Last election I saw a guy push a shopping cart so it hit the car next to him, and he laughed "He can put another Romeny sticker over that." These people are sick, and dangerous, which is why try not to discuss politics with someone I don't know really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies