Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm. I tend to agree that the word is "elitism". Not "The elite", as a specific demographic. Many see themselves a elite, socioeconomic status aside. Many who are not landed and wealthy, but have attained high education exude elitism, many who are landed and wealthy, but are dumber than a bag of hammers, see themselves as being "elite". These latter are more born into wealth, not by personal initiative.

So, as an American thing, elite is more a state of mind, rather than a societal station. Within America, there are many many people, who will spit tobacco juice on a Rockefellers Italian shoes, without a care to wealth and station, and the same ...courtesy..would be extended to an arrogant , educated type. This being a fairly common opinion of "royalty" within American general society. No respect, I tell ya. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:27 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I see you have already asked the question I just asked. It's subjective versus objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
. . . .

Why don't you give your definition of elites? If you don't believe something can be defined, then no one can give you a definition. If you don't believe something even exists, no one can convince you it does. So you're right, there's no such thing as "elites". No one is elite and we're all exactly equal.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
I don't see any problem with the OP asking the question.
I guess some people just don't like questions.....

Old 08-28-2016, 04:36 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Those who have enough money to buy control that affects legislation that is not in the best interests of the people ,but for their own power and gain.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
The elites are those who hold power due to their wealth or high position, and those who exert significant influence over them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I have been given a glimpse into the world of the Elites, by virtue of a family member on my wife's side. (This person is towards the outer rungs of the Elite world; if he was towards the core of it, I never would have met his daughter in the first place).
The Elite is very, very confined in certain zip codes/postal codes. (Charles Murray has done good work on this separation/isolation recently).
I would guess there are 20,000 people or so that we are talking about (in the US/Canada). A small number of people.
Roughly speaking, one-third are in government, one-third finance/business, and one-third cultural/academic/media.

Good luck, OP. This kind of query attracts the worst.
That seems like a pretty good estimate of numbers involved. And staying with the one-third theme, probably somewhere around that fraction are Jewish.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Default A response from Hell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The elites are mostly white and jewish in postions of power, influence and wealth from all over the world influencing America. They're in government, corporations and finance, media and academia.
I approve the above message. (signed) Adolf Hitler

Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 PM

145 posts, read 111,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't see any problem with the OP asking the question.
I guess some people just don't like questions.....
Seriously. I guess people just can't seem to quantify what makes someone part of the "elite".

Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
The "elite" are those who believe that they have a "right" to impose their will upon others with initiations of force, aggression, and coercion. So basically they are any of the sociopaths that support or vote for government. Government is nothing more than an institution of evil and aggression used by thugs and tyrants to impose their will upon their fellow man. The "elite" believe that they, and government, have a fictional "right" to use aggression to get their way. They are Divine among lowly humans that they believe that they should rule over with force...

Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
I'll say it is a media/consultant term, picked up by others and then 'gone viral'.

Explain that one to me! (Yes I understand intent, just it a dumb analogy)

Old 08-29-2016, 05:15 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
Seriously. I guess people just can't seem to quantify what makes someone part of the "elite".
It was quantified several times in this thread. I guess some people can't accept the quantification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies