Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,873,631 times

Advertisements

The majority of people catch little snippets of the prevailing propaganda.....whatever's "going around"in the mass media, the culture, etc. They might get one or two little blurbs; a few each week....,just a few seconds here and a few seconds here. And they just take it in, no questions asked. They believe whatever the prevailing propaganda has put out there.
They COULD take a different path, if they wanted. They could actually educate themselves (it's never been easier). So the question is, what prevents them? Almost none of them have any idea that they HAVE been propagandized; they are ignorant of that fact. So maybe the ignorance is the big problem? If people only KNEW their sorry state, might they do something about it?
I posit that they would not. Because even bigger than the massive "ignorance problem" is the "apathy problem": people couldn't care less (in general). "I've been successfully propagandized?? Well, whatever".

Argue this issue or that issue; this candidate or that candidate. The real problem is the stunning apathy level of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. from spiritual faith to great courage;
3. from courage to liberty;
4. from liberty to abundance;
5. from abundance to selfishness;
6. from selfishness to complacency;
7. from complacency to apathy;
8. from apathy to dependence; <—–we are here.
9. from dependency back again into bondage.

Get ready folks, when we go into bondage, the politicians will stop the act and you will really get to see what tyranny is all about.

Don't say we didn't warn you.
Yes, I have seen that before.
It's EASY to argue about a candidate or a party. If the problem is "that party" or "these politicians", then we just have to get OUR guys into office.
What if the REAL problem is massive apathy?? How do you solve THAT problem??

Old 08-28-2016, 12:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,707,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Yes, I have seen that before.
It's EASY to argue about a candidate or a party. If the problem is "that party" or "these politicians", then we just have to get OUR guys into office.
What if the REAL problem is massive apathy?? How do you solve THAT problem??
unfortunately you cant until that apathy pushes the people back into bondage. that is the rock bottom, in the lingo of the addict, and at that point you have two ways to go;

continue on as before

work to change yourself and throw off the chains of bondage and free yourself.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
unfortunately you cant until that apathy pushes the people back into bondage. that is the rock bottom, in the lingo of the addict, and at that point you have two ways to go;

continue on as before

work to change yourself and throw off the chains of bondage and free yourself.
I always think of the film "Brazil" on this point.
Just a wee bit of survival; just the chance for some lovin'.
That's all that we care about.....

Old 08-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
The problem here isn't party, it isn't a side. It is ignorance and dismissal of the key and important aspect to which this country was founded. That is, what is the constitution, why was it created, what was the issue concerning it and why so many states at the time were afraid of solidifying to such a concept? What is freedom, what is liberty? What does it mean to respect such and what is each states role in the country and their responsibilities to the union?

There are a plethora more of questions and issues concerning this, but how many even attempt to look into this? How many actually focus on these truths to which were found to be self evident? How many?

Who the hell cares about some stupid sheep's sport hero, or some cults favorite idol? What about the constitution, what about liberty and freedom? What about what this country was founded on? Who cares about that? Or... are we just a bunch of stupid animals who are worthless peasants easily manipulated by those who claim themselves betters? Are we to chase the scraps they throw out and kiss their feet like worthless fodder?

You can argue over stupid parties and be akin to the idiots who are sheepish peasants to this issue. I am a free man and I do not take part in your worthless crusade to find purchase at the feet of yet another lord. Kill me for disobedience, but make no mistake, I am free and you cower at the feet of those who subjugate you to their will.
You ask some very good and important questions.
But most people would simply answer, "who cares?" to those questions.
Sad but true.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
True, they are also the people who say "why" when they are put down like animals by those who subjugate them.

At that point, my only response is.. "You didn't care, shut up and die".

Harsh? Yes... but if one is not willing to fight against their attacker while they are being attacked, are they worth caring about when they breathe their last breath? No, they aren't... shut up and die.

If this angers people, then my response is... start caring, start fighting.... and people will be there to fight for you.

Don't care, don't fight and nobody will morn or care of your passing.
I don't think it's harsh of you. I hold out hope that a few of the slack-jawed will roust themselves ....it has happened before. But I am curious as to why there is not even the slightest spark in so many people. A spark may not light any fire, but it's a great place to start. Yet......no sparks. Not even the tiniest one.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:16 PM

88,232 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The majority of people catch little snippets of the prevailing propaganda.....whatever's "going around"in the mass media, the culture, etc. They might get one or two little blurbs; a few each week....,just a few seconds here and a few seconds here. And they just take it in, no questions asked. They believe whatever the prevailing propaganda has put out there.
They COULD take a different path, if they wanted. They could actually educate themselves (it's never been easier). So the question is, what prevents them? Almost none of them have any idea that they HAVE been propagandized; they are ignorant of that fact. So maybe the ignorance is the big problem? If people only KNEW their sorry state, might they do something about it?
I posit that they would not. Because even bigger than the massive "ignorance problem" is the "apathy problem": people couldn't care less (in general). "I've been successfully propagandized?? Well, whatever".

Argue this issue or that issue; this candidate or that candidate. The real problem is the stunning apathy level of society.
Who cares?

Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who cares?

Touché....lol

Old 08-30-2016, 10:42 AM

Articles: Why Low-Information Voters Are Worrisome

This is a good piece from the Great "American Thinker" magazine.

But the author misses the point here: "Consistent with earlier research, Somin estimates that nearly a third of the American public are “know-nothings,” who possess “little or no relevant knowledge” about public affairs. As he notes, “[i]f the public really is often ignorant [about public affairs], we might have a serious problem on our hands.” (Hint: We do!)
In addition -- either as a cause or a corollary -- a large portion of the public is politically apathetic. Except in times of crisis, most Americans don’t pay much attention to what happens in the political arena, and most don’t care much about what’s going on in U.S. politics. They are more concerned with personal and family matters than with public affairs."

We tend to conflate the apathy and ignorance of the masses. But I think it's the apathy which leads to the ignorance. People don't care if they know nothing.
(And I would extend his points into areas other than politics; many people aren't even "concerned with personal and family matters").

Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,514,065 times
Leftists always use propaganda on the young to destabilize society and to garner support for their disturbed agenda. There happens to be a lot of Millenials right now still subject to Leftist brainwashing. Eventually they'll wise up, but their country may be gone by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies