Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"He did that with private contracts"

And would do so again.

"and didn't have to deal with red tape."

A President can cut through the red tape. Or didn't you know that?

I recall when San Fran got hit with an earthquake a few years back and a major bridge was put out of service, a private contractor made a deal, let HIM rebuild the bridge WITHOUT all the red tape.

He completed the bridge below budget and BEFORE the deadline.

It passed EVERY inspection and it is STILL in use today.

If a state/city can do it, so can the United States gov't.
Public contracts require contractors to go through an extensive bidding process. On private projects, owners can just choose any contractor without any particular reason other than they just wanted to do. There doesn't have to be any competition. There are no M/WBE requirements. There's no prevailing wage/union requirements.

The only times when anybody can bypass all the red tape is to declare it an emergency contract, such as what happened with the 9/11 cleanup. You get things done quicker this way, but lose out on things being competitively bid. If he can get rid of red tape for all construction projects, a lot more contractors would bid on construction projects. I tell the one I work for to not touch them with a 10 ft pole.

I don't doubt quality control on private projects. That's part of my day to day job actually. I just doubt the ability of a president to change the mindset of all the government employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:07 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The wall would cost $10B at least.'

Where did you come up with that number? I haven't heard it.
Could probably do it cheaper with Mexican day laborers.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Could probably do it cheaper with Mexican day laborers.
Yes, but I don't see Trump turning his back on his blue collar supporters. And besides, any fedeally funded contract requires workers to be paid prevailing wage.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Yes, but I don't see Trump turning his back on his blue collar supporters. And besides, any fedeally funded contract requires workers to be paid prevailing wage.
I'm aware, spent a good chunk of my life in public procurement. As a matter of fact, chatted with Mr. Trump on the phone a couple of years ago about a project in which he'd shown an interest.

Was just taking a stab at humor.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm aware, spent a good chunk of my life in public procurement. As a matter of fact, chatted with Mr. Trump on the phone a couple of years ago about a project in which he'd showed an interest.

Was just taking a stab at humor.
Hard to tell on the Internet.

And it's not like he hasn't gone non-union before, which made me think you were possibly serious!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
He already has told everyone how the wall will be paid for. It's been on his website for a very long time. In case anyone has missed it, it is under the title:

COMPELLING MEXICO TO PAY FOR THE WALL

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/pay-for-the-wall

Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He already has told everyone how the wall will be paid for. It's been on his website for a very long time. In case anyone has missed it, it is under the title:

COMPELLING MEXICO TO PAY FOR THE WALL

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/pay-for-the-wall
What an idiot.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 PM

39,224 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Both parties have been telling us securing the border is such a mission impossible. That is the biggest lie.

We don't need a wall, we need military to secure the border. We already have a military, and we are paying our service members anyway. Put them to work already. Have them securing the border.

Money to build the wall? Well, if you think this is a good solution, think about this,

The $720 million figure breaks down into $280 million a day from Iraq war supplementary funding bills passed by Congress, plus $440 million daily in incurred, but unpaid, long-term costs

Let's not vote another war hawk (which is definitely Hillary clinton)

Old 08-29-2016, 12:59 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Idiocy...Mexico has ladders....
The 'ladders' retort is nonsense. San Diego built a fence and it reduced illegal crossings in that area by over 90%. I was there before and after the fence and believe me, it worked.

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What an idiot.
You mean that a businessman can come up with assorted ways to pay for things that don't involve raising taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies