Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

OneUnited Bank Partners With #BlackMoneyMatters L.A. To Empower African-Americans To #BankBlack In

Apparently a lot of celebrities are encouraging black people to move their money to black owned banks.
Is this a positive thing?
Doesn't this kind of go back to the days of segregation?

I get putting your money in a local bank or credit union, but I feel like this type of stuff divides the country more than unites it.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
https://twitter.com/DonCaviar1/statu...57297771204608

https://twitter.com/BrotherUhuru/sta...14916591271936

Some happy customers..

Old 07-17-2016, 02:57 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
OneUnited Bank Partners With #BlackMoneyMatters L.A. To Empower African-Americans To #BankBlack In

Apparently a lot of celebrities are encouraging black people to move their money to black owned banks.
Is this a positive thing?
Doesn't this kind of go back to the days of segregation?

I get putting your money in a local bank or credit union, but I feel like this type of stuff divides the country more than unites it.

What do you think?

I think that if those banks actually tried to enact pro-black policies, as in offering discount rates or relaxing criteria for loan eligibility for black customers, they would lose money and eventually go under. Then again, they could probably get a special deal on government subsidies and bailouts. Who knows, affirmative banking might be the wave of the future. Get ready to open your pockets.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Yet another way for the people in this country to separate instead of unite.

The media has been a fantastic mouth piece for the powers that be, pushing agendas and lies and making people believe that some things are bigger than they are until real life catches up to the lie and the issue does in fact become bigger than it originally was. They must be getting some fat bonuses for a "job well done".

If an honest person looks back not just the past almost 8 years, but before it, they would see that race relations are going backwards now, not forward. Many social causes are causing acceptance to go backwards, not forwards.

And then there will be some liberals who pretend none of that is true - and that liberal is what I consider my enemy. They are causing harm to this country, and I will not stand by any one who does so. If shtf, and they needed me to save them, I would turn my back on them.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:11 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
So when Black people do the very thing you cry babies continuously cry about, building their own economic base to improve their own communities, you still cry. Look we understand we are fascinating people but please go find another minority to obsess over.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:44 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
So when Black people do the very thing you cry babies continuously cry about, building their own economic base to improve their own communities, you still cry. Look we understand we are fascinating people but please go find another minority to obsess over.
Yeah I see nothing wrong with this. It should help the black community.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
It would greatly help all of non elite America to support businesses run by their own rather. Big banks screw over all working class people, profited by the hundreds of millions for bogus banking fees. Black America was far better economically pre urban renewal when many businesses were owned locally. Big banks and mega corporations pay local workers slave wages and bring most profit home to a top 5% owner who holds billions of dollars in offshore bank accounts.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:24 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
I think it is an excellent idea.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
The spin on these forums is ridiculous.

I don't give a rat's backside if you go to a business owned by a black person, wtf difference does that make to me? It's when it's touted as being ONLY for blacks that I have an issue with it. All races and cultures have businesses that they buy from, but they don't tout it as ONLY for those races, which THIS particular "outcry" does.

"Bank Black"? WTF is that? How about just: "support black owned businesses, here's a list of businesses owned by blacks, here's a list of banks owned by blacks, etc". You do know that those are out there? Why does it have to be some huge production and introduced in such a way as to say "only for blacks". How the hell is that helping black business or black banks by cutting off the majority of the population, (and I don't mean "whites" so you can stop slamming your keyboard with your indignant reply to that, I'm talking about every. body. else. that won't be putting their money in to hashtag BankBlack or hashtagBlack Money Matters since it is apparent that it's only for "black money")?

Supporting, and even going out of your way to support a business owned by someone who is black, lovely, have at it, but to further divide black people from the rest of society makes no damn sense at all - WTF was all that fighting against segregation for if black people want to turn around and segregate?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:37 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Black banks, white banks.

Okay, so which banks do not employ people of color? This is so absurd. Are there no "black" executives that work for major banks? I mean, really. This isn't 1950 anymore. What about shareholders? Are there no "black" shareholders for "white" banks?

Does anyone see how absurd this is? If you pull your money out of JP Morgan and put it with Local Black Bank fine...bank locally, but to imply that other banks are white only is so backwards.

"Bank black" should be changed to "bank locally". You are supporting your local bank. Local banks usually donate to the community. Local community then benefits from your patronage.

This is a great example of a divisive society we live in. We are all Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies