Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Eons ago when I was in a NYC Catholic Girls HS, I went to dances at our "Brother" HS. It was there I met a very cool, intelligent guy who was all the local talk about being a phenom HS Basketball player. Lew and I talked about a lot of current events, but basketball and religion were never among them. Neither of us were what you could consider religious then.

When I read years later, that he converted to Islam it did surprise me. Not that he became a Muslim, but any religion at all. Me? I consider myself to be among the "Nones" as far as religion is concerned.

I think some you will know this Basketball Legend who I am talking about. Remember, this was many decades ago. Why would you be surprised at this happening today?
Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Kareem has always been a class act. I can't imagine him pulling a grandstanding act like this Kaepernick guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Some people see the entire world thru racially tinted lenses.
Yep, I see a lot of the "it rained during the MLK parade because of racist weather forecasters" attitude here on CD.

Some people are so obsessed with race, it dominates all of their thoughts.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanaticist View Post
For most African Americans, leaving their house is a bigger threat to their life than any terrorist threats thousands of miles away.
And, statistically speaking, who is most likely to murder a black person?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it's obsession. More or less tolerance and justice.

Most of us have the privilege of being white, which really gives us an automatic handicap in this society.

The 70's were really the only period post-Civil Rights that African Americans had any real time to "catch up" to the rest of us, because shortly after, Reagan came in with his boneheaded neoliberalist policies and screwed everyone over, of which we are still reeling from today.

These issues didn't sprout up yesterday. They've been in the making for over 40 years.

You can't expect a race of people to make up for over 400 years of oppression in ten years, which is a very important point and something seemingly lost of some of us.

Racism isn't over because you have a black friend either.

Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away, but if you're white (generally speaking) you don't have to worry.
I wonder how many people TRULY believe his behavior can really make a difference.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
82% of white people are killed by other white people.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ender_2014.xls

Nice try.
Nice arrempt at deflection.

You essentially said blacks were fearful of leaving their homes.

Why won't you say who they should be most afraid of?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt here in thinking you could figure it out on your own but apparently I have to explain everything to you.

It's the state.
So, the state is murdering more blacks than other blacks? Are you sure about that stat?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
For most African Americans, leaving their house is a bigger threat to their life than any terrorist threats thousands of miles away.
Their odds greatly improve if they stay out of gang infested neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I think most of them are fully aware of that.

Convenient narrative for those of us who weren't oppressed as much as they were.

It takes more than ten years of social mobility to make up for 400 years of oppression.

I'm half Italian/Sicilian. My ancestors did the same thing in Sicily when they were oppressed.
So what is the point you are making really?

There are many forms of protest, protest by not eating, protest by not buying, protest by not voting, etc, etc, etc.

Nobody is saying he shouldn't protest. But gee, there are always a time or a place. Do you HONESTLY believe not standing up while National Anthem is playing is a form of effective protest? sheesh.

Let's get real here.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You're boxing yourself into your own argument here.

Black people have to worry about state brutality more than white folks do. That's the point.

Incarceration rates and police brutality is heavily skewed in their end.
Quit deflecting.

Statistically speaking, are blacks more likely to be injured or killed by other blacks or by the police?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,954 times
Quote:
You're boxing yourself into your own argument here.

Black people have to worry about state brutality more than white folks do. That's the point.

Incarceration rates and police brutality is heavily skewed in their end.
Black people commit disproportionately more crime and thus have more encounters with the Pohlice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies