Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times

Advertisements

Miami Dolphins Owner Becomes First to Support Protesting Players

Work!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:13 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

If this country lived up to the principles of the flag and national anthem, there would be no need to protest. And frankly, half the moaners and groaners about this issue couldn't intelligently interpret the national anthe. It's a knee jerk reaction, with the emphasis on the word jerk.
Truth.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
I wonder how many of the posters here that are against CK are the same ones that Boo the president? I mean, that's pretty unpatriotic.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:19 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Again, apples and oranges.
Can you protest at work?
Yes, I can protest at work, if my employer is making me physically stand up for a pregame ceremony when it is not in my job description.

I dont have to do anything not in my job description.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Its funny how the Tea Party, the Bundys and everyone else can protest, but the minute a person of color does it, its a problem. People act as if standing for the national anthem is some time honored tradition. No one stood for it until 2009. The NFL decided it was good for business and has been paid quite a bit of money to have patriotic ceremonies. So get outta here, with the patriotic BS. I applaud him for taking a stand. No one liked Ali when he took a stand either, he was reviled by many.

And to the OP he is not Muslim, but if he were, so what? it doesnt change what he is protesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea where you got the bolded from but it's false.
pknopp is right, the rubbish about no one standing before 2009 is just that, pure rubbish. when i was a young lad going to football games in the late 60s EVERYONE stood for the national anthem, and i can pretty much guarantee you that people have stood for the national anthem, when it was first introduced as the national anthem in 1931 by an act of congress.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:24 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
I have no idea where you got the bolded from but it's false.
NFL Teams Didn't Stand For The National Anthem Until 2009 | Daily Snark

Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I wonder how many of the posters here that are against CK are the same ones that Boo the president? I mean, that's pretty unpatriotic.

Oh yeah, I've posted that in multiple threads and really didn't get a response. I wonder why that is??

Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
He sacrificed lots of dollars for his beliefs. What have you ever sacrificed for your beliefs. What has your candidate, have you ever read the constitution, would you like me to send you mine ?

Also if more Christians were actually living the example of Christ, he would never have converted. More examples of grace, justice, love of neighbor and of the stranger he would never have looked elsewhere.
So let me get this straight. You're saying that it's the fault of Christians that someone converts to Islam? Wow, that's a reach.

He hasn't been released and as far as I know, he hasn't lost any endorsements - so how do you reach the conclusion that he's sacrificed a lot of dollars for his beliefs? Why are you asking about "candidates?" Candidates for what? Why would you send someone your copy of some Constitution (not clear exactly what Constitution you're talking about.)

What have you sacrificed for your beliefs?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
First, that wasn't the claim.

Quote: "No one stood for it until 2009".

I also only have to provide one example (and I can provide more) to show even that is a bogus claim. (video at end) (Sorry, I guess you have to click to go to YouTube)

Quote:

Oh yeah, I've posted that in multiple threads and really didn't get a response. I wonder why that is??
I boo the presidents actions in so many ways. The stupid wars, the give aways to the pharmaceutical and insurance industries. The bending over for Wall Street, etc. I fully support the protest here because all of that is also a part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2dcVYdpm0

Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Yes, I can protest at work, if my employer is making me physically stand up for a pregame ceremony when it is not in my job description.

I dont have to do anything not in my job description.
Yeah, employers love that. Best of luck to you.

(BTW, my company's job descriptions include, "Other duties that may be assigned.")

Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
It was easy. There is nothing "improper" about his means of protest.

Are you not saying he should protest in a "proper" manner? Or what you see as a proper manner?
What is the protest against? Is it against what the flag stands for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

If this country lived up to the principles of the flag and national anthem, there would be no need to protest. And frankly, half the moaners and groaners about this issue couldn't intelligently interpret the national anthe. It's a knee jerk reaction, with the emphasis on the word jerk.
Agareed. They ought to protest the failure of the country (administration, government, leaders) to live up the the principles, not protest the emblem/symbol that represents those principles and holds them high as a reminder to all. It is a reminder of the ideal, and motivator to keep aiming for the goal.

Many posters here seem to be missing that fine point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies