Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

MAY NOT:
8.Contribute to the Presidential Campaign Fund on their tax return
9.Join the armed forces and defend their country
10.Say the Pledge of Allegiance
11.Salute the flag
12.Vote
13.Run for leadership in their organization. (JW’s are ‘appointed’ and invited to be leaders.)
14.Run for leadership in any organization 15.Take a stand for any political issue inside their organization
16.Take a stand on any political or ‘worldly’ issue outside of their organization
17.Campaign for a political candidate
18.Hold political office
19.Discuss politics
20.Be a union steward or shop steward
21.Actively be involved in a union strike
22.Use a gun for protection against humans
23.Become a police officer if a gun is required
24.Wear military uniforms or clothing associated with war

non voters: 321,773,600 in the USA.... oh J-Witness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't disagree with you.

But overwhelming majority of service members would give their life to protect the country, even if it is an imperfect place. They carry on traditions of duty, honor, brotherhood, and dedication to country that are sadly lacking in many quarters of our society.

So, in my opinion, yes, they do protect my freedom. I certainly don't want to live in a country with no military.

Maybe some do.
I agree, service members do have those characteristics, but that doesn't mean they are protecting our freedoms because as we both agreed, our freedoms haven't been in jeopardy for about 150 years.

I think Stan Goff says it perfectly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8rbHwMXMT8

Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
So clueless it defies understanding.

Now a war crimes trial is like the police shooting someone and one dead child is better than several or more.

How nice of you to quantify the dead all by yourself.

Btw, it wasn't one dead child in the USA murdered by criminals, it was a lot more, you just can't see past the sports figures.

I never mentioned Wade, you came up with that all by yourself. Figures.

I bet you say better two Nuns who were also Nurse Practitioners killed rather than the Doctor eh?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:11 PM

184 posts, read 132,113 times
yes...

Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM

184 posts, read 132,113 times
yes indeed

Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 PM

35,666 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Despite a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 1961, saying states may not maintain a “religious test” for holding public office, seven states still have laws on the books banning atheists and non-believers from serving.
According to the New York Times, people who do not believe in God are ineligible to hold office in Maryland, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

coin has two sides
I don't agree but we have our freedom and that we have to stand behind-

Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So clueless it defies understanding.

Now a war crimes trial is like the police shooting someone and one dead child is better than several or more.

How nice of you to quantify the dead all by yourself.

Btw, it wasn't one dead child in the USA murdered by criminals, it was a lot more, you just can't see past the sports figures.

I never mentioned Wade, you came up with that all by yourself. Figures.

I bet you say better two Nuns who were also Nurse Practitioners killed rather than the Doctor eh?
You didn't mention any dead children. I did.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
One dead child might be less a tragedy (overall) than many but how is one dead child better than many?

Where does the person who thinks that way even come from?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I agree, service members do have those characteristics, but that doesn't mean they are protecting our freedoms because as we both agreed, our freedoms haven't been in jeopardy for about 150 years.

I think Stan Goff says it perfectly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8rbHwMXMT8
Historically the purpose of the military has been to defend our nation’s borders against invasion and external attack. So no matter what you (the general term you) say, we still need our beloved military, our defense team, our guardian angels.

I have a friend who graduated from West Point Academy. He quitted his military career for whatever the reasons. He still believed overwhelming majority of the service members (especially those combat ones) are brave patriotic Americans who will put their live on the line to defend the country.

Plus, most of us can not comprehend the amount of courage it takes to run towards the bullets, to be able to lay down your life for another.

Over time, our enemies may have changed, but the heroism displayed by our military never has. Our troops have protected us and defended our national security repeatedly and consistently.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,560,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
People go to football games to relax and enjoy themselves not to think about civil rights. That should be ok with you and Colon right? or should we be required to meditate on civil rights every waking moment? would you back a actor right in the middle of a scene giving a tear jerking speech of the plight of the black man in the US when it has nothing to do with the movie?

None of this will mean anything in a week or two when the 49ers cut Colon not because he is black or his stunt but because he stinks. Of course Colon will scream racism but the truth is the 49ers tried to trade him but no team wanted him because he stinks.
Thanks for proving my point about not understanding nuance, after all equating a silent protest during 90 second rendition of the national anthem is pretty much the same as meditating "on civil rights every waking moment"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies