Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The first amendment only prevents the government from making what you say illegal. Kaepernick can be cheered, booed, fired... whatever. The constitution has nothing to say about that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
First Amendment - U.S. Constitution - FindLaw
He can be cheered and booed, etc. All I was saying is that those who criticized him can ALSO be criticized for intolerant remarks as well. It is also legal. Nothing you have stated here or in prior posts refutes that. Glad you were able to post the First Amendment. BTW, that allows us criticize those people. The first phrase is worth repeating for those that have dissed his religious freedom of choice: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

Hopefully, the OP read that! Lol.

Thanks!

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-30-2016 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
He can be cheered and booed, etc. All I was saying is that those who criticized him can ALSO be criticized for intolerant remarks as well. It is also legal. Nothing you have stated here or in prior posts refutes that. Glad you were able to post the First Amendment. BTW, that supports our right to criticize those people. Thanks!
Which people? The average schmo or some fool pundit trying to make a point?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Two can play this game. Does this anger also apply when Hillary Clinton uses disparaging language/attacks/undermine: blacks ("super predators"), Indians (the Mahatma Ghandi owned a gas station in Indiana comment), Native Americans (the "off the reservation" comment), rape victims (she continues to lambaste/try to discredit her husband's rape accusers), women (paid women staffers 72 cents on the dollar paid to men while in the Senate), blacks (joined in on, instead of immediately condemning, de Blasio's "CPT" joke)? Give me a break.
I have not heard a few of these until now but will review for context. Please keep in mind that earlier this summer Trump was making these types of comments DAILY for about 15 straight days. Still never apologized to the Gold Star parents. Then his campaign managers got him to occasionally use the teleprompter.

I am not particularly pro-Clinton anyways. If the election were today, I would vote Johnson/Weld.

So an argument can be made that what Kaepernick did is less objectionable than what both major party candidates have done at times. I am fine with that and agree.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-30-2016 at 01:10 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"His net worth is estimated to be over $100 million"

For several years, he's been ranked the worst quarterback and he's made that much? Wow, that's an impressive amount of money. I guess it's supply and demand, but that's a little overboard.
2013 was phenomenal

Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Which people? The average schmo or some fool pundit trying to make a point?
My point is that while people certainly have the right to criticize Kaepernick, we are also definitely allowed to criticize them. Especially when some are insisting he leave the country. What is good for the goose is good for the gander where the First Amendment is concerned. I am fine with that and believe most here are as well.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I have not heard a few of these until now but will review for context. Please keep in mind that earlier this summer Trump was making these types of comments DAILY for about 15 straight days. Still never apologized to the Gold Star parents. Then his campaign managers got him to occasionally use the teleprompter.

I am not particularly pro-Hilary anyways. If the election were today, I would vote Johnson/Weld.

So an argument can be made that what Kaepernick did is less objectionable than what both major party candidates have done at times. I am fine with that and agree.
I'm a vet and I don't care what ck did. He could of done the can-can. People get all 'solemnly' during the anthem I say, too each their own. There are several instances where I would get mad, but still not say anything.

Say like the ceremonial burying of the Columbia or challenger crew, D day ceremony at the Arizona . There are no sacred cows but some places, people should realize their protest 'will live in infamy'

Kaeperniks? It'll be forgotten by opening day of 2017. Unless he goes on to do something incredibly great, or dumb.

A symbolic is like what's his face with the black glove. The Tibetan monk who self immolated in Vietnam. Things like occupy. It doesn't hold up.

Think about it? Name 5 protests that everyone know

Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
My point is that people certainly have the right to criticize Kaepernick, but we are also definitely allowed to criticize them. Especially when some are insisting he leave the country. What is good for the goose is good for the gander where the First Amendment is concerned. I am fine with that and believe most here are as well.
And you are 100000000000 correct

Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
For some reason this prompted a particular thought....that I doubt Kap has walked through Arlington National Cemetery, nor the San Francisco Military Cemetery (where I buried my father).
That's not really relevant. This isn't a veterans issue. Lots of men have died in wars for some pretty senseless notions on behalf of some dumb idea hatched by politicians.

Kap shouldn't be held hostage by people's fears masquerading as patriotism. This isn't a patriotism issue. Far from it.

Quote:
Your father should be honored.

But KAP has a to be An asshat. Having played in dc how many times, I wouldn't be surprised if he has. Same with all the buildings there.

See, I'm more curious if he met a girl, she converted and he played the gullible dude. Or if he's running from growing up in Wisconsin to white parents. Self non understanding causes some people to run to the complete opposite of themselves. Then they have to how fillin the blank they are.

Whiteys from affluence do it all the time. Sometimes it's comical. Sometimes a recipe
Kap is from Turlock, California. And having white parents is totally irrelevant. If you're black, that doesn't change your reality.

He's ALWAYS identified himself as black according to his own accounts.

Frankly, it's just best to deal with the here and now. All of this conjecture based on what we think about his background is meaningless. You can only go by what he says. And frankly, that's enough.
Quote:
Maybe I missed the full context you were referring too. In general are Caucasian seen as equal amongst themselves a notch ahead of black and brown... Unfortunately.

Here's my kicker. To be frank and blunt, the north is more racist than the south, the Midwest a mixed bag cuz you have so cities, then huge stretches of nary a brother, same with the upper plains, then the west is just weird. It's like a blend of the Midwest and the south.

Surprising I think the south is less racist? Think about it, living in close proximity brings it out in the open. In the north, it's like 'we are open minded blah blah' but behind closed doors....different story. Often that deep seated 'fear' is still there, buried
The South was it's own peculiar brand of racism. The north isn't more racist. Racism just manifests itself differently there than it does in other parts of the country.

I lived in Georgia for a year. It took some time to figure it out, but it was about the most racist place I'd ever been outside of Mississippi (that's a whole nother planet when it comes to race), but it was so benign in its apparition that you really had to have your antennae on to see just how insidious it was.

The big difference in the South is that people know their place and they stay in it...black and white both. If that's all you know, then it appears to be no big deal. The natives pretty much seemed used to it. But as an outsider, it was more than I could stand.

That said, i always knew that I'd never live there for long, so I just dealt with it and got the hell outta there as soon as I could.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
And you are 100000000000 correct
Me personally, I just believe many protestors of any stripe pick the wrong battle at the wrong time.

I'm not going to stand up at a preseason game? Seriously?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's not really relevant. This isn't a veterans issue. Lots of men have died in wars for some pretty senseless notions on behalf of some dumb idea hatched by politicians.

Kap shouldn't be held hostage by people's fears masquerading as patriotism. This isn't a patriotism issue. Far from it.

Kap is from Turlock, California. And having white parents is totally irrelevant. If you're black, that doesn't change your reality.

He's ALWAYS identified himself as black according to his own accounts.

Frankly, it's just best to deal with the here and now. All of this conjecture based on what we think about his background is meaningless. You can only go by what he says. And frankly, that's enough.

The South was it's own peculiar brand of racism. The north isn't more racist. Racism just manifests itself differently there than it does in other parts of the country.

I lived in Georgia for a year. It took some time to figure it out, but it was about the most racist place I'd ever been outside of Mississippi (that's a whole nother planet when it comes to race), but it was so benign in its apparition that you really had to have your antennae on to see just how insidious it was.

The big difference in the South is that people know their place and they stay in it...black and white both. If that's all you know, then it appears to be no big deal. The natives pretty much seemed used to it. But as an outsider, it was more than I could stand.

That said, i always knew that I'd never live there for long, so I just dealt with it and got the hell outta there as soon as I could.
Exposure, that's my point. Of course he knows he's black. And identify with it in my op.

There are a couple ideas I never?

Race traitor? Wtf
Whatever the other ethnicity is lover? Wtf

150, 100, maybe even 75 years ago I might see that use of language. But in 2016 to still hold on to it? Pa-the-tic

But ignorance knows bounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies