Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 04:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so then the responsibilities of citizenship mean nothing to you? instead of pushing for change, you would just leave? would you also renounce your citizenship as well?

Change what? What are you and Kaepernick even talking about?
And yes, if this country was so awful for me I would leave. Millions have left their countries because it didn't suit them. Many millions have come here.
But if the U.S. is so wonderful that it can't be left, maybe the nation's flag should be respected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Youre not missing anything, there is just a certain type of person in this country that doesnt like being taken out of their happy place by being reminded of others oppression. Its 79 pages of excuses and fingers in the ears, in defence of fingers in the ears. Its like pointing mirrors at each other. "LALALALALALALALA I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALA MY HAPPY PLACE". Some people have to be either in denial, or completely inept to encourage killing by government with impunity. Or they want to be the killers. Based on seeing the comments all over the net, its basic ineptness. I've only seen more balanced opinions on the more intelligent website comment sections. Facebook is abysmal.

Or maybe not everyone shares your nutty views?

Old 08-31-2016, 04:26 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
Quote:
so then the responsibilities of citizenship mean nothing to you? instead of pushing for change, you would just leave? would you also renounce your citizenship as well?
You're expecting a serious answer from a guy that says he would rather leave this country than try to think of a solution. Not everyone has the brains or heart to fight for something.

Despite a large part of america being represented by people like him, (including government, jesus were in trouble) anyone like me or CK knows this country is great, and can be better if we all can come to some sort consensus to fix this stuff. Im talking the problems in the inner city black communities, and the major issues with police policies and laws. Or before all that we can work on voting crooked senators and politicians out of office. Unfortunately just like how there are many people in this country that choose to stay ignorant about these events, the people protesting in the streets and blocking traffic for BLM that stay ignorant and wont go to town halls to make changes happen.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Or maybe not everyone shares your nutty views?
Based on your previous posts, I would think YOU of all people shouldnt be calling anyone or their views nutty.

Thanks for proving my point though!

Old 08-31-2016, 04:38 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
No, of course I only mean those in the department that demanded an apology. Just used shorthand. Clearly meant the police management or whoever specifically demanded it. Probably should have spelled it out. No bias. Telling it like it is. Btw, you criticize my generalization then say ALL LP's. Pot meet kettle.

They should not beg for an apology (that is unwarranted IMO). They should do their job and respect the First Amendment rights of a person that committed no crime. The SFPD has enough damage control to do after the racist texts were discovered. I ALWAYS respect good police officers that concentrate on their job and have even thanked them.

There is no requirement that people have to believe a certain way in order to get police protection. Our payment of tax dollars should be sufficient. Believe that would be the case in totalitarian societies though. Please educate yourself.
Don't you see though, that when someone remains seated during the National Anthem and let's be very clear; how many people hearing the sung version at a game associate it with anything but respect for country in its entirety and not any acceptance for the few who operate outside the law or any percieved, real or imagined means other than that, see what Kaeper did as anything but disrespect to the country?

If someone says "the police had my car towed", would any reasonable person take that to mean all police? No, there is a context directly associated with that statement.

If someone says in front of millions or even thousands, "Police tow cars because they belong to blacks", what then would any reasonable person think was meant?

Kaepernick disregarded one of the most important aspects of having rights, failing to consider if using those rights in a particular manner is the right thing to do.

Kaeper didn't just disrespect the entire country, meaning to or not, he disrespected the very right that is free speech and protest.

How could he not know? It was a venue where people paid to watch the game, him and other players. He abused that privilege by accepting their money and then protesting in a manner and without consideration of any consequences because he is wealthy and if he lost his job, it wouldn't make one difference to his lifestyle.

You deemed it necessary to explain that of course you didn't mean all the SFPD. Everyone was supposed to read your mind? Regardless, an explanation by Kaeper after the fact does little to change what he did and the way he did it.

This wasn't stupidity on his part although in part it was stupid. This was a disregard for respect, the very respect he wants to protest about. He doesn't know that to get it you must also give it? So far he has taken plenty and given zip.

If Kaeper was a self described republican and when some announcement was made regarding some LBGT issue in his presence and he turned his back, would not liberal progressives jump all over him for that? Would they then not organize boycotts, scour every item of video to see if he ever had any anti LGBT issues before? You're damn right they would. Would an explanation afterward that a few gay men pizzed on his SUV once be sufficient an explanation for liberals and the LGBT community?

Please, everyone knows the answer as do you.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 08-31-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 05:52 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Change what? What are you and Kaepernick even talking about?
And yes, if this country was so awful for me I would leave. Millions have left their countries because it didn't suit them. Many millions have come here.
But if the U.S. is so wonderful that it can't be left, maybe the nation's flag should be respected?
i am not saying that, however what i AM saying is that you try to solve the problems here first, instead of just leaving. most of the people that leave other countries to come here are far more oppressed than anyone in this country.

Quote:
You're expecting a serious answer from a guy that says he would rather leave this country than try to think of a solution. Not everyone has the brains or heart to fight for something.

Despite a large part of america being represented by people like him, (including government, jesus were in trouble) anyone like me or CK knows this country is great, and can be better if we all can come to some sort consensus to fix this stuff. Im talking the problems in the inner city black communities, and the major issues with police policies and laws. Or before all that we can work on voting crooked senators and politicians out of office. Unfortunately just like how there are many people in this country that choose to stay ignorant about these events, the people protesting in the streets and blocking traffic for BLM that stay ignorant and wont go to town halls to make changes happen.
harry, i agree with you, but hope springs eternal. perhaps people like him will see the light and realize that there are alternatives, and there is a proper way to do things, and an improper way to do things.

if we are going to make changes in this country for the better, we need to start by working within the system. we need to make our voices heard in a proper manner. will it solve things right away? no it wont. but it gets the ball rolling. it gets people thinking and talking about what needs to happen, and what should be done.

if we do things the wrong way though, and protest like mr kapernick is doing, then we put the light on the wrong thing, and then the people talk about the wrong things, and they get divisive, and nothing gets done.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Senate rejects bill on veterans benefits

Who's worried about veterans

Old 08-31-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Based on your previous posts, I would think YOU of all people shouldnt be calling anyone or their views nutty.

Thanks for proving my point though!
What have I written that's nutty? Be specific. That rant that you wrote here was pretty damn crazy.
Oh, and you should look up the word "inept." I don't think it means what you think it means.

Last edited by fat lou; 08-31-2016 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
i am not saying that, however what i AM saying is that you try to solve the problems here first, instead of just leaving. most of the people that leave other countries to come here are far more oppressed than anyone in this country.

harry, i agree with you, but hope springs eternal. perhaps people like him will see the light and realize that there are alternatives, and there is a proper way to do things, and an improper way to do things.

if we are going to make changes in this country for the better, we need to start by working within the system. we need to make our voices heard in a proper manner. will it solve things right away? no it wont. but it gets the ball rolling. it gets people thinking and talking about what needs to happen, and what should be done.

if we do things the wrong way though, and protest like mr kapernick is doing, then we put the light on the wrong thing, and then the people talk about the wrong things, and they get divisive, and nothing gets done.
Exactly. So things aren't so bad in this country, are they? So anyone who says "I'm not standing for the pledge of allegiance because this country oppresses me" is being a drama-queen goofball.

And I'll ask you again: what do you plan to change, exactly? What are you even talking about?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Exactly. So things aren't so bad in this country, are they? So anyone who says "I'm not standing for the pledge of allegiance because this country oppresses me" is being a drama-queen goofball.

And I'll ask you again: what do you plan to change, exactly? What are you even talking about?
wwell since this thread seems to be about colin kapernick and his protesting police violence killing black people i would surmise that i am talking about that, apparently you have different ideas though, that or you have no clue about what is going on. do you suffer from alzheimers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies