Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Oh okay...because I grew up at a time when it was just Yugoslavia, could someone please educate ignorant me where Bosnia plays here? Is Bosnia part of Kosovo? What and where is Montenegro?

Back when I lived in the northeast a year or so ago, we had friends who were Bosnians...political asylees (sp?..right word?) who were assigned to CT and did okay..got jobs, bought a home, sold a home, upgraded...

Then another family from another part of town moved in on our street. Albanians..we could never ever spell nor pronounce their names right...we thought they were Greek...kids went to the same school where mine did...we even brought her along with us if we catch her walking to the bus stop.

When the Bosnian family learned about the Albanian family, they felt "insulted" that we considered them from the same place...oh no, no they said. We are closer to the Polish culture, we shop in Italy before the war!

What the heck...you're both in here through political asylum...oh well..so can someone please explain where Bosnia now fits in? I slept throughout all these brouhaha in the Balkans. It was like having to study the IRA again...

Edit: I got a good "cliff notes" explanation of the various sects/cultures/ethnicity in the History forum.
Again, I'm not an expert...but ALL of the places you mentioned were once part of Yugoslavia, Not sure of the "tiny" details--but as Domergurl says, Kosovo has a large number of Albanians (Albanians THEMSELVES are divided into two "main" groups, one in the North, one in the South. EACH of these areas is more-or-less "dominated" by one of the three main 'players' (Catholic, Orthodox, Muslim)..yet, at the same time, ALL of the areas are home to the OTHER two groups, too. So ALL THREE groups live in all areas, in differing proportions. Montenegro, I BELIEVE, also has a number of ethnic Greeks. Their Orthodox religion is somewhat different, but close to the Serbian Orthodox (both have churches here in Southern Calif). Bosnia, I THINK, is (or was) officially called "Bosnia-Herzogovina"...but don't ask me to explain "Herzogovina"...whether it is a "former" place, or not, I couldn't say. There is also the area called "Macedonia" along the Greek border, and to ADD to the confusion, there's ALSO a "Macedonia" within Greece itself.

The tragedy of the 'meltdown" some years ago was that these people are so CLOSE. One Muslim woman reported being hustled off to some sort of detention facility, to find that one of the guards was her Serbian neighbor. (Don't know if they ever 'made up')
For some people, it was just a 'free-for-all', and in many cases, after someone was "taken away", the next-door neighbor would just move into their house (which, in many cases, they thought they DESERVED, since the owner's ancestors had taken it from THEIR ancestors, generations ago)...a real "mess".

BTW just following the Balkan "wars" a few years ago, Albanians formed one of the largest, poorest, and most desperate of the immigrant groups who flooded into Italy...MOSTLY illegal. It became a real crisis for some years...don't know if it ever 'settled down".

Last edited by macmeal; 02-21-2008 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
Thanks, Macmeal! Good grief...what a royal mess! I think we should stay out of it. Too hard to keep track of which side to be on!

Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Thanks, Macmeal! Good grief...what a royal mess! I think we should stay out of it. Too hard to keep track of which side to be on!
Agreed. Its Europes problem. It would be nice to see them resolve one of their own conflicts by themselves for a change.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,321 times
Default for domergurl

I can not belive that you are trying to explain to other people what you dont understand at all.
you dont realise that Serbia is christian and ethnic albanians are MUSLIMS. They were invited in years ago to get away from persecution and what the serbs got was a group that took over their country......it could be the same as all the mexes claiming reconquista in america proclaiming the desert southwest is now mexican again

Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

BTW just following the Balkan "wars" a few years ago, Albanians formed one of the largest, poorest, and most desperate of the immigrant groups who flooded into Italy...MOSTLY illegal. It became a real crisis for some years...don't know if it ever 'settled down".
Two of my 5 year old son's schoolmates are Albanian. One, Michele, is one of his best friends. We had him over a few weeks ago and his parents came over to pick him up. They are certainly different from the other non Italian families. The Albanians are looked down upon (more with pity than disdain, although when I got here a few years back I was told crime had picked up after the Albanians came) and after speaking briefly with them it became clear that they were not having an easy time economically. I don't think Michele's family is Muslim though

Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Croatia, Bosnia, these countries are so close together in an area the size of Northern California but are so divided. Heck this whole thing is just 300 miles East of me.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 02-21-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice73 View Post
I can not belive that you are trying to explain to other people what you dont understand at all.
you dont realise that Serbia is christian and ethnic albanians are MUSLIMS. They were invited in years ago to get away from persecution and what the serbs got was a group that took over their country......it could be the same as all the mexes claiming reconquista in america proclaiming the desert southwest is now mexican again
Candice

That is certainly how it looks. And the comparison to the ILLEGAL immigration issue in the US is spot on, except in the US, the PR machine works much better, the ILLEGALS are much more organized and well funded.

The EU hesitated to allow Turkey into the EU because it could not control the flow of Muslims into Europe.. Now they are faced with Kosovo that is 90% Muslim.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Kosovo is the very poor area without any economy.Most of the young people live in Western Europe or in US and send the money to Kosovo.So be prepared to give some more money from your paycheck for people that lived all their life on welfare.God knows that they do not use condoms every household has 10 kids.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice73 View Post
Kosovo is the very poor area without any economy.Most of the young people live in Western Europe or in US and send the money to Kosovo.So be prepared to give some more money from your paycheck for people that lived all their life on welfare.God knows that they do not use condoms every household has 10 kids.
My second son was born 3 years ago. There was only one other couple having a baby at the same time. It was a Muslim family that kept taking the crucifix down off the wall. The nurse kept on putting it back up.

My Italian friend said that if you come to my house and don't like a painting on the wall, you have the right to not like it, but you don't have the right to take it down.

My third son was born on the same day two years later and the hospital maternity ward was full with over twenty couples. My wife actually was told to hold him in because there was no room. I would say 50% were Muslims. Just and observation.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 PM

I also have Italian friends and they had family from Italy visiting this sumer.They told us that the crime is huge in Italy because of Albanians and they recently raped and killed the wife of some prominent Italian politician so it was really hard to hold italian people from kicking them out from the country.One of the reasons that Europian countries are fine with Kosovo independence is to send them back to solve their crime problems.Since there is no money in Kosovo they will still continue making it where they can quickly(by drugs and other illegal ways).Some of Albanians live in Montenegro and they are not Muslims, they are Catholics even they can not stand Albanians from Kosovo.I wish you can see what kind of life they have( house with the toll wall around it garbage all around smells terible, you can not see any females only mens on the street, no rights for females, old mens still go to Albania to buy themselves young wifes).

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM

I thought you should read this also from Detroit.
If you have never been to Kosovo, but would like an idea of just how bad their crime is, (and what the Serbs have tolerated for centuries, not a decade), simply go to Hamtramck, Michigan, a city within the city of Detroit, teeming with Albanians. Remember though, the Detroit police department has Hamtramck circled in red on their city maps, and it’s not because of a low crime rate…
Cops there look for a reason not to enter Hamtramck, which was once known and respected for being a very clean, law-abiding and predominantly middle-class Polish community. There are very few Poles left there and the small African American community is being forced out as well. SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE BORN ON BALKAN SOIL? Sadly, if you so much as utter a word in any Slavic language, your life expectancy will be drastically reduced. [This is familiar.] And I’m referring again to Hamtamck, Michigan, not some backward village in Kosovo, where death to Slavs has been a common Albanian practice for as long as anyone can recall.
How and why would anyone dare to give away part of someone else’s country to Muslim terrorists, when they are a 20% minority within that country’s borders and constantly threaten it’s non-Muslim inhabitants with death?? Why are US politicians trying to help a Narco/Nazi Muslim people establish a foothold on Serbian soil, and who gave them that right?
I tell my 15 year old daughter, whom we adopted from Yugoslavia in 1993, that I hate no one. I do this for obvious reasons; number one, it’s true and number two, I want her outside any circle of hate.
However…I have had a number of more than negative, personal contacts with Albanians in Detroit, my hometown. One left me semi-conscious for three days after I took a severe beating from twelve Albanians on drugs, in our church Saint Lazarus. They used fists, dozens of bottles, steel chairs, tables, knives and guns. They demolished our hall and left me with broken teeth and ribs, two stab wounds to the arm, 54 stitches to my head and permanent damage to the center for sight and sound deep within my brain.
Detroit Albanians pipe-bombed our church on several occasions during the seventies, including one attempt to bomb our junior choir’s practice room in our social hall. Had they thrown the bomb through the window twenty minutes earlier, there would be twenty-something grieving Serb families. They painted “**** all Serbian Mothers,” in ten-foot red letters, on the face of our church, just prior to a national gathering. Conversely, you will not find one single recorded attack on an Albanian or any of their institutions in Detroit, by a Serb.
Here in California, an Albanian from AOL’s discussion board came within ten feet of my daughter’s bedroom window, at three in the morning and fired off four, live 9mm rounds. The same people described the interior of my house on AOL. A silly attempt to shut me up…. I had been careless around predators, thinking we were safe from their narco/nazi fanaticism here in a civilized American Metropolis. When I adopted my daughter in Yugoslavia, I promised the people at the orphanage that I would always keep my child out of harm’s way.
I have not lived in Detroit since 1980…Most of the things I described to you regarding Hamtramck’s sizable Albanian population happened during the 60’s and 70’s. It was also about then that Detroit’s more radical Croatians formed a weird coalition with the Albanians. Their mandate was never publicly stated, however, the Serbs understood all to well that this was simply another cloaked continuation of WW II Nazi doctrines.
What I told you about St. Lazarus Serbian Orthodox church of Detroit being bombed at least twice, during that period, and covered in the most vulgar forms of graffiti, was spot-on accurate. Also, young Serbs such as myself, who had made a habit of frequenting Hamtramck’s well known Polish restaurants and Taverns were often accosted or intimidated by Albanian gangs, who were busily trying to cleanse Hamtramck of her old Slav population. They were successful.
I think it was an 80 year old Polish owner of Three Star BBQ, on Joseph Campo Street, that had his nose bitten off by Albanian thugs. After resisting their low-ball offers to sell for years, he finally did so within a week of his release from the hospital and at a ridiculously low price. These stories ring true, whether one is describing Albanian behavior on Serbian or US soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies