Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, that sounds good, except for one thing. Straw purchases.

There is no such thing as a "straw purchase"
That would mean an infringement of the right of the PEOPLE, to keep & bear arms.
The minute man act, expressly has concerns with hindering distribution of arms, when minutes matter.

I don't see anywhere in the constitution, where we gave the government any authority to regulate arms.
All previous supreme court rulings on the regulation of arms, was overturned in McDonald v. Chicago.

Scott v. Stanford said, full rights of American citizenship would include the right “to keep and carry arms wherever they went.
This was a ruling before the Civil War in 1856.

All gun legislation is based upon the precedent of:
Presser v. Illinois said, it was a states right.

Miller v. Texas said it was a State right.

US. v. Miller said Militias were a state right.

McDonald v. Chicago reversed all that.

Last edited by BentBow; 08-31-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,086,691 times
Quote:
All of that is unconstitutional.

And when did I once say I wanted excuses? Prove it.
Let me pose this to you in front of all the other posters. You are in a better position to cure this national sickness than I am. Why hasn't that happened yet? What are you waiting for? Good upstanding Blacks are being lumped-in to this mess and must be frustrated about it. But they have been to the Democrat School of Obedience for decades and feel powerless. Eventually the good people will have had enough and squash the low-lifes among them.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Let me pose this to you in front of all the other posters. You are in a better position to cure this national sickness than I am. Why hasn't that happened yet? What are you waiting for? Good upstanding Blacks are being lumped-in to this mess and must be frustrated about it. But they have been to the Democrat School of Obedience for decades and feel powerless. Eventually the good people will have had enough and squash the low-lifes among them.
Why hasn't it been cured? I'll explain. You can't fix hood rat. You can only walk away from hood rats. Neither Democrats or Republicans can fix that. No amount of "shaming" is going to make me change who I vote for. Alot of decent people just leave certain neighborhoods and say "they're hood rats, can't talk sense into them and they'd likely kill us".

Your generalizations show alot about how irrational your thinking is.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:36 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,089,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, because hiding a fork from someone keeps a fat person from being fat.
If the goal is to stop them from eating, then you take away everything they could use to eat with. If the goal is to stop gun crime, then you take away everything they could shoot with. How does that not make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
I'll give you that one, with a few caveats.

We DID wall off certain cities during Operation Iraqi Freedom. It worked to stem the flow of insurgents in some areas, and did nothing but tick off the population in others.

Are you willing to go that far, to wall off Chicago with concrete blast walls and conduct a house to house, building to building operation, to sweep and clear every last square foot of the area, confiscating firearms until you've gotten every last one? Are you fine with suspending civil rights against such search and seizures? Are you ready for the Prohibition era type violence that could occur, in addition to Chicago's "normal" violence?

Who will you send to do your bidding? The ATF? They have 4,770 employees, and only a portion of them could be boots on the ground. The Chicago PD, whom is consistently harangued about doing their job, accused of violating the civil rights of Chicago residents and racial profiling? You want to send the police officers you constantly accuse of being corrupt to enter every single edifice until they've been through them all? Are you willing to see an endless stream of citizens rounded up and jailed for all the other offenses the officers will see during such sweeps?

I have to chuckle at the fixation on "gun crime" and "gun violence" as opposed to being against ALL crime and ALL violence. As if the murder victims with bullets in them are somehow more tragic than those with stab wounds, strangled necks, blunt force trauma, etc. Are they less dead, the other murder victims? Is it because a gun made it "easier," meaning you're fine with a murder as long as the killer had to work harder at it than pulling a trigger? Any innocent lives being taken by criminals are worthy of attention, not those who are chosen because they fuel an anti-gun agenda.
1. Gun violence is much worse just based on the fact you have more collateral damage.
2. The only people that are going to contribute to this prohibition-style violence are the ones already participating in that violence. The only difference is that there are going to be a lot less guns available for them to use.
3. Even if you did nothing but keep the guns that were collected in normal police investigations, the net flow of guns would be negative. Without outside sources, the city would take more guns than criminals could bring in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
OK, understand but you just said if Chicago were walled off, the gun law would work while here you said the criminals would break laws anyway.

So what is it? Even if Chicago were walled off, would criminals magically turn in their firearms or would those firearms go bad after their expiration dates?
No BC why would you assume a law would have a retroactive effect on criminal activity?

Criminals are already breaking the law now to get guns, why would you expect them to start following the law in a walled-off city?

So again, the point of Chicago gun laws is to deprive criminals of access to guns. If criminals don't have access to guns, they can't use guns. How is this hard to understand?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,539,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Chicago aka 'Chi-raq' shootings may top 2015 - CNN.com

Record low murders in one of the toughest gun control cities, sorry I meant to say record high murders!!!
Chicago's gun control laws are compariable to LA and NYC.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ts-complicated

What's different is state sentencing for crimes where guns were used, especially for those with prior arrests/ convictions.

When the state began allowing C/C in 2012-13, it was anticipated Chicago's gun crime rate would decline. The opposite happened.

Most shootings occur in just 5 out of 22 districts and those 5 have been and remain gang infested. Gang members are not particularity skilled in shooting and too often hit unintended targets who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Criminals who want guns, get guns, regardless of laws.

No worries. Trump has promised to ( magically?) make these gang infested areas safe, come 1/20/2017.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,692,080 times
Quote:
No one cares where they are bought and sold. Maybe you'll get that some day.

Who is killing who? Not the law abiding which are the only ones affected by any gun law.
Well the are...bought and sold. So do you want the actual "facts" or do you want to ignore them.

We know who is killing who... Gang members...the drug trade...we know.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
For starters start locking up the 80,000 felons who attempt to buy a weapon each year.
Quote:
Well, that sounds good, except for one thing. Straw purchases.
They don't get it.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago's gun control laws are compariable to LA and NYC.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ts-complicated

What's different is state sentencing for crimes where guns were used, especially for those with prior arrests/ convictions.

When the state began allowing C/C in 2012-13, it was anticipated Chicago's gun crime rate would decline. The opposite happened.

Most shootings occur in just 5 out of 22 districts and those 5 have been and remain gang infested. Gang members are not particularity skilled in shooting and too often hit unintended targets who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Criminals who want guns, get guns, regardless of laws.

No worries. Trump has promised to ( magically?) make these gang infested areas safe, come 1/20/2017.
Unless he can (magically) stop the drug trade these killings won't stop.

Chicago is already the most corrupt city.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM

72,845 posts, read 62,260,541 times
I would appreciate if people would stop using Chicago as the litmus test for gun laws and murders. I have a better example.

Baltimore. Baltimore recorded a murder rate of 55.3 murders per 100,000, the highest it has ever recorded, as of last year. Consider this: Baltimore's murder rate has ranged between 33.9 murders per 100,000 in 2014 to 45.2 murders per 100,000 in 2007. Baltimore also had murder rates in the 40s per 100,000 for 5 straight years during the 2000s. Chicago recorded of murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000. Baltimore has stricter gun laws than Chicago, but has a much, much higher murder rate and suffers from high levels of corruption and racial tensions.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,086,691 times
Quote:
Why hasn't it been cured? I'll explain. You can't fix hood rat. You can only walk away from hood rats. Neither Democrats or Republicans can fix that. No amount of "shaming" is going to make me change who I vote for. Alot of decent people just leave certain neighborhoods and say "they're hood rats, can't talk sense into them and they'd likely kill us".

Your generalizations show alot about how irrational your thinking is.
Sounds a little defeatist don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies