Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:26 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Why should those that have worked hard their whole lives have to give up anything? They shouldn't have to support that segment of society that feels that they are entitled to live off the dole and contribute nothing but complaints and criticism.

Every liberal candidate says the same thing -- people have to pay their fair share of taxes. We heard it with Obama and now we hear it from Clinton. The thing is, "fair share" is an ambiguous term and it only applies to those that actually PAY taxes. And as the national debt rises, what the taxpayers get fleeced for is never enough. It will never be enough until waste and spending gets under control, something the liberals know nothing about.
I've been working since I was 13 years old, sometimes two jobs...I'll be damn if I want to give anyone else who is too lazy to work for what they want and need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Living in some third world hell hole is not my idea of fun. That means I want to pay my fair share of taxes for roads, schools, defense, etc.
That's fine, but that's also my point. WHO decides what is a fair share, and do you want your "fair share" to increase every time some bureaucrat thinks it should.

Quote:
Read up on where the money goes. It is not all lazy arsed welfare queens on the dole. The dole is nothing compared to the military. Why are we paying for hardware that military does not want? So some congressman can bring in money to their district?
You must have missed the part where I said that spending needs to be under control, and that includes the military. It needs to be funded, but they need a better plan of how those funds are used. I never said it was all welfare queens, it's government spending in general.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Constitutional convention? Good luck with that.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Louisiana?

I hope your ok?

I cannot believe the lack of concern for those who were flooded so terribly, by our government, and people of this land...unless we aren't getting any news of agencies going in there and helping, it doesn't seem to me, that they are being helped much at all? Where in the world is FEMA...which to me is a joke and waste of money?

I liked your post, so true.
Lack of concern? Where in the world is FEMA?

Reportedly there are about 60,000 properties that have been damaged by floods. Most of these properties did not carry flood insurance because they were not previously in areas that experience flooding.

When a major disaster occurs, FEMA recruits inspectors from all over the mainland US, who are willing to commit to at least a 30 day contract requiring them to get to an assigned area with functional transportation and equipment. Lodging is usually non- existent in disaster areas. The price of gas at the pump typically soars. Many choose to live in their trucks rather than commute from a temporary FEMA facility to their assigned area.

How many people do you know who will walk away from their day to day lives for months and are willing to work and live in a disaster area and do so for less compensation than if they stayed put, assuming their local housing market is healthy and thus in need of qualified inspectors?

Nonetheless, there are more than 1100 FEMA inspectors on the ground, right now, inspecting damaged properties. Almost $300 million in recovery grants have been approved based on completed inspections.

There is a cap of $33,000 per claim for uninsured properties. Most recieve a fraction of this amount. Despite the lack of insurance, many expect the federal government to make them whole and will certainly be disappointed. The Governor has been proactively attempting to manage expectations. It falls on deaf ears.

22 Assistance Centers have been opened.

FEMA relies heavily on the Red Cross for emergency provisions and temporary shelters while they make arrangements to move the new and improved trailer homes into the hardest hit areas.

There seems to be a general misunderstanding among the general public as it relates to FEMA's role and responsibility in a disaster and an expectation FEMA will swoop into every disaster and make it all better.

No doubt, FEMA will require more funding and that's up to Congress. No doubt, unrelated pork will be attached to the funding bill to get it approved.

Private insurers refused to insure flood risks which is how FEMA was created. Premiums have been subsidized all along, without means testing. Bringing premiums in line with risks has recieved huge pushback from people and states.

Nothing precludes anyone from buying flood insurance even though they are not in a flood plain. No doubt tens of thousands in Louisiana wish they had.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Wonder if tax man Tom supported FEMA.

We will all need to give up our favorite benefit to make a balanced budget. Some of us will need to pay more taxes.

Wonder how much campaign money a congressman would need if the local tv stations had to give 30 minutes free of air time as a condition of getting a license? That would get rid of all campaign fundraising. No more bribing congressman and no more high paid pr people and pollsters.
Tom Coburn seems to believe FEMA should be reformed or abolished.

Prior attempts to revise the 30 year old damage indicators used by FEMA met with substantial pushback from states who play the game to get the federal government to pick up the tab.

FEMA: A Disaster for Taxpayers and Federalism

Texas has consistently declared the most disasters of all states and territories and prides itself on not having a state income tax.

https://www.fema.gov/disasters/grid/...bal-government

Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM

57,268 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Say what you want about Coburn but he was man of principles, I rarely agreed with some of his decisions but he was honest. I recall him fighting against the Zadroga Bill that awarded first responders medical care and also fought against the funding of Sandy, when Oklahoma was hit by a severe tornado he refused to ask for federal assistance. I am not saying I agree with all his stances but he is consistent and it does take courage.

The difference is that these congressmen just give away money without any repercussions, they refuse to fully fund federal disaster relief agencies and when something comes along they just write checks and increase the deficit. Taxpayers can't have their cake and eat it too, if they want to continue down this path then we need increased revenue.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
please get out more they had instant help - compare no to the Katrina who had to wait on the gov' fighting everyone and turning trucks around- yes she turned help around full of water and supplies- idiot

Seems they made the official request sooner this time.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
That's fine, but that's also my point. WHO decides what is a fair share, and do you want your "fair share" to increase every time some bureaucrat thinks it should.

You must have missed the part where I said that spending needs to be under control, and that includes the military. It needs to be funded, but they need a better plan of how those funds are used. I never said it was all welfare queens, it's government spending in general.
Pentagon has never been able to account for their spending despite a law requiring them to do so.
It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Convention of States?

I had to look that up, and am embarrassed that I didn't know states had the power
to restrict the Feds.
Here's a link that describes what they are trying to do.
Sounds like we need to do this ASAP -- didn't Coburn say ten states were already on board?

Convention of States

Old 08-30-2016, 01:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
So who are going to be the first group of politicians to say" Sorry I don't need your financial support for favors, I am perfectly capable of becoming a multi millionaire without voting to approve your project."

The Republicans in Congress can't even vote on a SCJ nominee that has Conservative friends in congress.

All they can do is support a loser like Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies