Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
10,000 What is it 1 tenth of 1 percent of refugees? I think we should do more, a lot more... I would say many of them would be able and happy to work at many things here, for example there are millions of homes in his Country that are in dire need of fixing lead infested plumbing.
Maybe if we would stop lazy people from being lazy and cut their pay check for doing nothing, we would not need refugees? But, I guess dems need voters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
You must have read few of my post based on the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Detroit has black owned buisness like Milwaukee, Chicago, and other cities in that it has small buisnesses that employees 1 person to about 5 people. Like barbershops. While better than nothing these are not were real economic might comes from. Owning larger companies like major grocery chains, airlines, banks, companies that build tractors, these kinds of things bring in more wealth. White people basically own these.

Detroit does not have one major grocery chain. They have corner shops. Milwaukee not only has several major grocery chains it has a black owned grocery chain. The state of Detroit is sad.
Wealth is primarily based on ones assets in America on a personal level, not owning a grocery store. There are few grocery stores in America at large and there are major grocery stores in metro Detroit . I have been to Kroger in metro Detroit. They have a Whole Foods in Detroit which is a national chain. They have a Trader Joes in Detroit, both of the liberal bastions of organic food. There are also small black owned grocery stores in Detroit. Not to mention there are Walmarts and Targets and Meijer's in metro Detroit...

And Detroit also has a ton of black owned general contracting companies, multiple trades; suppliers, products, etc. It is not just a bunch of beauty and barber shops

Quote:
Your attitude about the Syrians seems to me to view Syrians as racially superior to blacks. Or maybe you just view ethnic Black-Americans as inferior to other ethnicities of black peoples around the world and all Arabs.

Or do you think all Arabs have lots of money and therefore all Syrians must have lots of money? My guess is that most Syrians coming to the United States will have little to no money and most won't be very educated.
Not sure how you would think I feel Syrians are racially superior to black people or that I think that they all have money. I am a black American. No one IMO is superior to me or my demographic based on ethnicity or skin color. I am not poor and neither are my relatives in Detroit. And FWIW, I also lived in Detroit for a couple years. You are really pulling at some imaginary straws with the comments above. In regards to my comments about Syrians and their status in Syria prior to the war, what I stated is correct. A Syrian refugee will not need the same assistance as say a Somali or Hmong refugee, people from countries where there has not been any recent institutions of compulsory education. Syria is different in this regard and had a high degree of professionals and an educated population. They were not a 3rd world country prior to the conflict beginning.

My point was that other people view Syrians as all negatively. I went to school with the children and grandchildren of Syrian immigrants. They are not some sort of evil people nor are the majority of them welfare leaches. The same can be said and I say it often of black people around here.

Quote:
The Syrian adults will look out for their children first and foremost when in the United States. Just remember that when 20 years down the line Black-Americans want to complain about racism yet militantly chose to sell their own children down the river for a few trinkets.
on this too. I don't care that Syrian adults will look out for their children first and foremost. As stated, I am black. I also look out for my children first and foremost. I also don't "complain about racism." Both my spouse and I are educated and solidly middle class people. I have lots of assets and investments. I am doing my best to ensure I pass along a solid economic legacy to my children. I volunteer my time and resources to "the black community" of my area. Many other black people also do this, which is why we are improving on many fronts statistically. Due to my knowledge that black people are NOT inferior, that we are capable of greatness, I am not afraid of a Syrian. Maybe you are due to your insecurities regarding your or your children's abilities, but I am not and so I don't fear any refugee or immigrant coming into the country.

Quote:
If there are government funds to pay for Syrians rebuilding Detroit then it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out those same funds could instead be used to rebuild Detroit with local black labor. And my assumption is that's what Bill Clinton is suggesting, a New Deal type of Federally funded project of rebuilding Detroit. I did not read the article or watch the video so I don't know and I'm making an assumption.
Detroit is being rebuilt with "black labor." Detroit is over 80% black so any construction related jobs go primarily to black Detroiters unless someone is bringing in some workers from outside the area.

You are what I was speaking of in regards to people not knowing what is going on with Detroit and its salvage and homesteading programs. It is not a "New Deal' type" program. There are local grants and the land bank involved in regards to the homesteading and for the salvaging I do believe they got a federal grant for that. Point was that they are already employing black people in Detroit. I'll also state that there are other businesses and professions to get into in Detroit for black people. It seems to me that many of your type of white posters have the belief that all blacks are sorely suffering for these jobs. My point is that if they want a job, the black people in Detroit will get one. And that Detroit has lost population and needs more population to have more of a tax base and revenue for the city. I don't see it as a white Syrian thing versus a black Detroit resident thing like you are seeing it as. I see it as a good economic move and many cities in the Midwest encourage refugees and immigrants to move to their areas in the Rust Belt because we have lost population and the revenue that comes with an increase in population.

Quote:
People are needed to grow an economy but investment and jobs are needed more importantly. No jobs and an additional 100 hungry people does not produce income or ease the strain on the division of the $100 bill Uncle Sam had just given the 2 native black people living there. They had divided that $100 equal with $50 to one and $50 to the other. Now each has to take their $50 and divide it between 50 newcomers. Between 51 people that is less than $1.

So, just adding new people is not always helpful.
Adding "new people" who are of a demographic that has a positive track record in SE MI in particular is a good idea.

As a black person, I am confident that black Americans in Detroit and in the nation will continue to advance and grow regardless of if Syrians or any other refugees come into the country. IMO it is you who view black as "inferior" since you are of the belief that a couple hundred or even a thousand refugees in metro Detroit is going to have some sort of drastic economic effect on black people in Detroit because we don't know how to do anything other than work on government projects.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Thats dense.

Detroit wasn't abandonded by the people living there it was abandonded by the liberal progressives who made the promises of free everything and a nanny state experiment .

You will now attempt to blame what happened there on conservatives.

to you too.

Detroit got into its financial woes starting in the 1960s and it was based solely on the fact that the city was too heavily dependent on the auto industry. Not sure how you get that it was any fault of "liberal progressives."

Old 08-31-2016, 03:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People want to blame Detroit on Democrats. San Jose, Austin, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Madison, Columbus, those cities are Democratic and are doing just fine. Des Moines is done good as well.
What are the demographics of Detroit and those other cities?

Old 08-31-2016, 03:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
10,000 What is it 1 tenth of 1 percent of refugees? I think we should do more, a lot more... I would say many of them would be able and happy to work at many things here, for example there are millions of homes in his Country that are in dire need of fixing lead infested plumbing.
I think American citizens should always get first chance at American jobs. We shouldn't be importing people when we have our own to take care of. The money spent on refugees should be spent on our own

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well...it's an idea.
Is it a GOOD idea?

Granted, giving good paying jobs to people willing to work, to collect more taxes and redistribute it to those unwilling to work, may be a win-win.

GO DETROIT!!!! Show us how it's done.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:08 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
He's working with Obama to help create a muslim city (Dearborn already is). Then they can get the ball rolling with Sharia law in Detroit. Just the beginning.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How about Americans First!
That is not PC or tolerant!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
He's working with Obama to help create a muslim city (Dearborn already is). Then they can get the ball rolling with Sharia law in Detroit. Just the beginning.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I wonder if Canada would trade Manitoba for Michigan? We would even throw in the UP. After the Syrians move in of course. We could even throw Wisconsin into the mix LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies