Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Deductions are a good thing and we should all seek out as many as possible.
Do people really think politicians spend their money wiser than they can?
Deductions are mostly sops to various special interest groups. Make the taxes so low that deductions aren't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 05:42 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post

The defense budget should be cut in half. There's plenty of waste there. PLENTY.

We should cut or eliminate financial support for Israel. They have free education through college, free healthcare, and who is making it possible? It's time they paid more of their own way.
Not sure about half, but most veterans will admit defense is loaded with waste.

I agree about Israel and will raise you Europe, Korea, and Japan.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:45 PM

776 posts, read 580,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Federal tax brackets are at historical lows. We should return temporarily to the brackets (adjusted for inflation) that we had when Reagan took office before dropping them back to where he set them (adjusted for inflation). You can't cut your way to prosperity. The additional revenue should be used on huge and numerous infrastructure projects.

The defense budget should be cut in half. There's plenty of waste there. PLENTY.

Social Security is a good deal and a great program. I calculated my average IRR to be 4.5%. Not bad. But the cap should be removed to keep S.S. solvent for the future.

Obamacare is getting to be unaffordable for many. We should save money on healthcare by switching to a single-payer national healthcare system.

Private prisons are proving to be expensive and contrary to the correct goals. We should save money by eliminating them and handling them via government.

We should cut or eliminate financial support for Israel. They have free education through college, free healthcare, and who is making it possible? It's time they paid more of their own way.
First, I keep hearing SS is running dry you're the only one I've heard who is supporting it, I could be misinformed but like 1/5'000 now.
Second, while I like the idea of a single-payer health care system, I don't see it existing with all the scams happening to Medicare and Medicaid. I would be 100% on board but I would have to see both Medicare and Medicaid cleaned up and ran efficiently.
Third, I would have to agree with the rest.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Recently I stated threads to get peoples opinion on state and local tax. I came across many good response on Federal as well but they were out of place. SO, do you feel Federal income taxes are determined fairly and going to the necessary places. Are you seeing yours, what are some major expenses you deem wasteful and why. Again be specific about the nature of your view, not just Obama sucks or something of that nature. Someone said military spending was out of hand while others said welfare was a kicker.
Lots of questions here.

Are my federal income taxes fair? Hmm...I could afford more. To me it depends on whats done with them. I find arguments about tax rates kind of foolish. That money GOES somewhere. And in many cases comes right back to us. So what we spend, and how much is important. But the taxes are not as much. On average our tax burden is 22% or so.

Major expenses that are wasteful. Hmmm....another aircraft carrier. Billions for something that is becoming irrelevant due to technology. Id rather see more aircraft carriers laid up with a smaller replacement rate, and a LOT more of other classes of ship. How many coastal patrol boats could we buy? Those are things that are inexpensive when done in larger quantity's (comparatively), and allow us to defend our borders in a cost effective manner.

We're spending WAY too much for some of the new aircraft. Yes a F-22 is cool, is it 10 f-16's cool? Maybe. But 150 million? And the F35 is insane. In a era where its obvious that drones and AI controlled aircraft can make things obsolete quickly we should be focusing on things like that.

Medical costs. Seriously, the government is forbidden from trying to get lower prices for some drugs. Thats completely insane. And companies involved in delivering healthcare are quite literally sucking the life out of us. Selling a less then $6 dollar epipen for $600 after getting all schools to have to buy multiple ones when they only are good for a year is a perfect example of the bad parts of capitalism when its involved in the government. Stuff like this is why we need government healthcare, without the corporate fingers in the pie.

Welfare is...well...We could do things to reform it, expand it, and make it more fair. I've been a big proponent of a basic income, and I could see using it to eliminate some programs. I'd argue we dont spend nearly enough, and the money we do spend, we spend poorly.

Stop giving money to other countries. Seriously, its not worth the cost.

NASA and DARPA. Again not nearly enough money spent here. Although NASA is starting to lose to corporate launches. And thats not a bad thing, it means NASA could spend money making new satellites, rovers, and research.

There is a TON of waste and duplication. We should review this all. Seriously, I am tired of politicians protecting their state instead of the country. Yes I get it, its what your voters want. Do they want to see a more effective government though? Yeah. Get with it as a group, and start whacking bad stuff no matter the state.

So I guess overall.....I'm happy with my tax rate for what I get, but we could spend it better. I would not be adverse to seeing my tax rate go up for expanded services, especially to the poorest among us.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:19 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Deductions are mostly sops to various special interest groups. Make the taxes so low that deductions aren't necessary.
That's not a solution.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Not sure about half, but most veterans will admit defense is loaded with waste.

I agree about Israel and will raise you Europe, Korea, and Japan.
Good!

Old 08-30-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
First, I keep hearing SS is running dry you're the only one I've heard who is supporting it, I could be misinformed but like 1/5'000 now.
Check the reliability of your sources. S.S. has all been paid for at present, and there has been excess to the tune of $2.9 trillion. That is enough to keep going for about 25 years. And if nothing is done, at that point S.S. will "only" be able to keep paying out about 75% of obligations. That's hardly "run dry".

What's "1/5'000"?

Quote:
Second, while I like the idea of a single-payer health care system, I don't see it existing with all the scams happening to Medicare and Medicaid. I would be 100% on board but I would have to see both Medicare and Medicaid cleaned up and ran efficiently.
"Scams"??? Got a link? I don't know what you are referring to. Yes there is corruption. The biggest theft of Medicare funds is perpetrated by healthcare and health goods providers. Bills are padded with false claims. This is theft from Medicare recipients who need the care and the funds to pay for it. Is that what you mean?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 PM

776 posts, read 580,074 times
1. your 1 opinion to 5000 other contradicting the future of ss, like a ratio. The idea is that many on disability are taking out of the pool while not putting in. Mine doesn't look bad either on paper but just like a bank account can say that I have $100 in my account and the bank fail.(This might of been a bad example with FDIC, I wouldn't know if they have a secure back-up for SS if that where to happen.)
2. yes I do, but if you do away with health care providers, the middle man in many people's eyes, the doctors and/or dentist will still be able to charge for inaccurate cost, there are stories like this everywhere along with health care providers doing. It would then still exist.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
1. your 1 opinion to 5000 other contradicting the future of ss, like a ratio.
It's not my opinion. Reality has nothing to do with your 1:5,000 ratio. Reality is that a few right wing sites and sources spin and lie about S.S. Show me a site where you get the story that S.S. is broke and I'll debunk it and show you it's a lie. FACT: The S.S. Trust Fund is managed, totaled, and tightly accounted for daily. It contains $2.9 trillion from FICA payroll receipts. Show me a site that says otherwise and I'll debunk that, too. This is not about "paper" tricks. Your sources are bunk.

Quote:
The idea is that many on disability are taking out of the pool while not putting in.
That is within the parameters of its purpose.

Quote:
if you do away with health care providers, the middle man in many people's eyes, the doctors and/or dentist will still be able to charge for inaccurate cost, there are stories like this everywhere along with health care providers doing. It would then still exist.
WHAT?? Do you understand what you're talking about? "Healthcare providers" are doctors, nurses, hospitals, clinics, and health supplies providers, ...--like prosthesis suppliers and providers of crutches and wheelchairs. They aren't "middle men". The only middle men are the private insurance companies and yes, they skim plenty for high CEO pays, profits, advertising, legal departments, "investment accounts", etc. etc.

Last edited by Kode; 08-31-2016 at 12:07 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 12:14 AM

191 posts, read 230,425 times
Ain't Fed taxes just for the "interest payment" on the "loans" from the central bank??

Of course, no one knows what *actually* goes on behind the scenes (other than elites/1%ers themselves), but the best theory I've heard is the Fed taxes are merely the "interest payment" on the "loan(s)" from the privately-held central bank.

Ergo, the central bank "loans" money to the US govt, then the US govt spends that money on whatever (military, welfare, infrastructure, etc), the Fed taxes are then levied to collect the "payment" for this loan. In other words, the govt essentially runs up a huge "credit card bill" and puts a gun to everybody's head (taxation) to pay it off - the govt doesn't actually pay it's own bill, but rather, the people do (against their will).

This is in contrast to the popularly-held "taxpayer dollars pay for welfare" theory. In a way they are similar, but also distinctly different.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 08-31-2016 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies