Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Too many federal programs"

A perfect example : There about 40 SEPARATE job training programs.

Why so many?

What are their results.

I heard 1 politician say, EVERY single federal program should be scrutinized and a decision should be made on, Is this program worth borrowing money to keep paying for it.

Here is just 3 examples:

"A mohair subsidy continues six decades after it was deemed a military necessity in the context of the Cold War."

"Federal funding went to whaling museums in three states from which whalers went to sea (Massachusetts, Alaska, and Hawaii) and in Mississippi, which was not a home of whalers but is the home of Republican senator Thad Cochran, an Appropriations Committee titan. The whaling program, which cost about $9 million in its last year, was administered by the Department of Education. It objected to doing this, which is one reason the funding ended: Government changed because part of it was annoyed. Also, a congressman publicized the subsidy."

Read more at: Government Subsidies -- the Sclerosis Is Here to Stay | National Review

I think most of us heard about the airport Murther(D) airport built in PA that is rarely used,

"JOHNSTOWN, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Located outside a small Pennsylvania city, John Murtha airport may not see many passengers. But it's seen plenty of arrivals of tax dollars from Washington, most recently economic stimulus funds.

"The airport offers three commercial flights. In between the arrivals and departures, airport officials admit there are few faces around the facility.

"When the flights are coming in, there are people. Other than that, it's empty," said Scott Voelker, manager of the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport."

"Considered one of "the kings of pork" on Capitol Hill by taxpayer watchdog groups, the 19th-term Pennsylvania Democrat has piloted almost $200 million from Washington to Murtha airport. Much of the funding has come in the form of legislative earmarks that are attached to bills before Congress."

Remote Murtha airport lands big bucks from Washington - CNN.com
why is there even one govt job training program? Let those who need employees train them for jobs they know they need done. Does anyone think a politician or anyone else for that matter knows what skill sets are required in an ever changing marketplace with 300 million plus participants?
I know I know, progressive thought is that a few wise politicians isolated in their high office know what's best for us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
First, I keep hearing SS is running dry you're the only one I've heard who is supporting it, I could be misinformed but like 1/5'000 now.
Second, while I like the idea of a single-payer health care system, I don't see it existing with all the scams happening to Medicare and Medicaid. I would be 100% on board but I would have to see both Medicare and Medicaid cleaned up and ran efficiently.
Third, I would have to agree with the rest.
"First, I keep hearing SS is running dry"

It was 2010 , I believe, that SS started to pay OUT more then they take IN.

They had to start to "cash in" the special T bills issued by the fed that "borrowed" the money FROM the SS.

The fed NOW has to come up with that money which is why SS is COSTING the fed.

"In FY 2015 the federal government spent $888 billion on Social Security in 2015."

"Social Security spending has been increasing steadily every year."

"http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/social_security_spending_by_year

With this debt and the rest of our debt, we will eventually, (soon) be paying OUT more then we take in.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Check the reliability of your sources. S.S. has all been paid for at present, and there has been excess to the tune of $2.9 trillion. That is enough to keep going for about 25 years. And if nothing is done, at that point S.S. will "only" be able to keep paying out about 75% of obligations. That's hardly "run dry".

What's "1/5'000"?

"Scams"??? Got a link? I don't know what you are referring to. Yes there is corruption. The biggest theft of Medicare funds is perpetrated by healthcare and health goods providers. Bills are padded with false claims. This is theft from Medicare recipients who need the care and the funds to pay for it. Is that what you mean?
" excess to the tune of $2.9 trillion."

That is NOT CASH ON HAND.

It is special "T" bills that the SSA is "cashing in" and the fed has to come up with the money by BORROWING it, which is one reason why are debt is almost 20 TRILLION.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Mass transit subsidies.
Let the municipalities that want it PAY for it.

I know, what a concept!

Why should the rest of the taxpayers pay for something only people within a sate, county etc. use?

YOU want it YOU pay for it.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
why is there even one govt job training program? Let those who need employees train them for jobs they know they need done. Does anyone think a politician or anyone else for that matter knows what skill sets are required in an ever changing marketplace with 300 million plus participants?
I know I know, progressive thought is that a few wise politicians isolated in their high office know what's best for us all.
"why is there even one govt job training program?"

I agree 100%.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Is that enough of a cut to compensate for a 50% cut? Somehow I doubt it is, but I haven't pulled actual numbers, so let's see.

FY15 Welfare budget: $394,200,000,000

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e-programs.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-31-2016 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Reduce spending. We can start with decreasing military spending and bringing the troops home.

Great! How much does that save us? Where do all those overseas service members go?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Actually it's closer to 1 trillion when you include all programs.

This thread is about Federal Tax and the poster I was responding to specifically said "welfare".

Old 08-31-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Reductions that could be phased in;

Cut military 50%.

Make all foreign bases a profit center.

Eliminate DEA, DHS, ATF and FEMA.

Eliminate all corporate welfare.

Eliminate all individual welfare.

Eliminate all bailouts.

Eliminate all product subsidies.

Get the feds out of education.

Eliminate all lifestyle laws including drugs, prostitution and gambling.

Get the feds out of telling us what we can eat, drink and smoke.

Make federal employee compensation equal to the private sector.

That would be a good start

And that gets us more than $1.6T a year?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:44 AM

1,050 posts, read 505,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" excess to the tune of $2.9 trillion."

That is NOT CASH ON HAND.

It is special "T" bills that the SSA is "cashing in" and the fed has to come up with the money by BORROWING it, which is one reason why are debt is almost 20 TRILLION.
It was all paid for. The borrowing requirement is not the fault of S.S. Social Security is a cash cow that the Fed is milking and spending. The $2.9 trillion in the Trust Fund is as real as your money in your bank. Do you think your bank has your money in all cash waiting for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies