Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:55 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times

Advertisements

Recently I stated threads to get peoples opinion on state and local tax. I came across many good response on Federal as well but they were out of place. SO, do you feel Federal income taxes are determined fairly and going to the necessary places. Are you seeing yours, what are some major expenses you deem wasteful and why. Again be specific about the nature of your view, not just Obama sucks or something of that nature. Someone said military spending was out of hand while others said welfare was a kicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:57 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Too much spending on military and welfare programs. Not enough on interstate infrastructure.

The actual structure of the taxes is stupid. There should be very few deductions except for personal business expenses and charity. No homeowner deduction (yes, I own a home). Lower the tax rates to compensate for fewer deductions. And no more than 2 rate brackets.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:10 PM

To start, central Illinois, I find a lot of our federal money comes back our way. In our town all of our schools needed some major repairs. They listed for Fed. gov. aid and built two new 50 mil dollar schools. Of course a lot of this is going into property taxes too. I realize we need more of a educated population to strengthen the economy, but I think we are getting out of hand with our education budget. Also, we spent a whole year on cursive and they don't teach that anymore along with software that is now out of date.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Too much spending on military and welfare programs. Not enough on interstate infrastructure.

The actual structure of the taxes is stupid. There should be very few deductions except for personal business expenses and charity. No homeowner deduction (yes, I own a home). Lower the tax rates to compensate for fewer deductions. And no more than 2 rate brackets.
I would have to agree with the few deductions, I'm from a farm background and think there are to many farming deductions.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Federal taxes could and should be cut by at least 50%.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:59 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
There is no "fair amount" of theft.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Federal taxes could and should be cut by at least 50%.

Cool. How do we balance the budget after that tax cut?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
The federal government plays too many roles, IMO. Many argue it is because state and local governments were not doing enough.

The Congress is supposed to oversee all things they fund. Too many federal programs are adjusted or added on to without oversight or evaluation. That's where the duplication comes from. All federal programs need auditing for efficacy and need.

If we are to be a free enterprise economy, the federal government needs to stop picking winners and losers. If a business wants to entertain their customers, let them do out out of their own pockets. No tax breaks for ball clubs, team owners or symphony societies.

Business also needs to pull their own weight on leases on federal land and airwaves.

I'm ok with tweaking SS, too. Although paying 38% on SS 'benefits' does smart. That really pissed DH off. He still thinks he could have done better with the money that was deducted from 60 years worth of paychecks.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
They need to increase taxes to cover defense spending, also they need to eliminate many of the real estate deductions.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
The only just or fair system is a fees for services rendered and requested. Just like people voluntarily buy or don't buy services from business. No one is charged for a cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts based on their income and certainly no one is forced by government goons to purchase Dunkin' Donuts coffee for themselves or others.

Whatever is immoral and evil for an individual to do, read initiating force, using aggression and coercion, is immoral and evil for the government to do.

"Taxes" for "services" either not wanted, not recieved, or for "services" provided to others are nothing more than racketeering, extortion, and theft.

We have a "tax system" that is nothing short of a criminal organization. If any "business" operated like the "government", those running it would be buried underneath a prison by government goons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies