Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Just think, one day it may be our turn.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-a...e-bees/5375684

"But perhaps the biggest foreboding danger of all facing humans is the loss of the global honeybee population."
Of course we're on the list. In relative terms, I doubt humans have much more time. Our silly solipsism makes a bunch of us believe that Earth was created specifically for us.

But we'll find out soon enough that that's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 12:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course we're on the list. In relative terms, I doubt humans have much more time. Our silly solipsism makes a bunch of us believe that Earth was created specifically for us.

Spoken like a true mystic.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is a silly notion, but it was a very good movie. "Everything depends on everything, so you can't do anything". That's the basic tenet of the Envirofascist movement.
When the ecosystem of our environment is thrown off balanced, nature will make the necessary correction in order to regain that balance. I don't know about that movement, don't care. Just know that humans (homo sapiens) are a part of the ecosystem and we keep messing around with things we shouldn't. Sooner or later that lack of respect will catch up.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Colonizers and neo colonialists.
I think you mean the colonized.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:

Yep, a bit of common sense and some defective reasoning ... birds falling out of the sky, 32 miles of dead fish wash up on the shorelines, ect ... our turn is on its way.

They don't call them ancient civilizations because they're still around ...

Old 08-31-2016, 12:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default It may soon be time to hunker down

Quote:
99% of all the species that have ever inhabited the Earth are extinct. It makes no sense to intervene in this natural process. The fact is Man runs the Earth, and our survival takes precedence over the survival of all other species.
I agree that the large animals in the World - elephants, rhinos, whales, squid, sharks, hippos, crocodiles are likely going to go extinct, & fairly soon. Human numbers are expanding, particularly in Africa & South & Central America, most of Asia other than China & Japan. We need to get tissue & genetic samples of these animals - & cuttings & genetic samples of plants - into the various genetic arks set up around the World.

I don't think we'll get the politics of climate & water & food & World economy down to something usefully stable in time to save all the natural populations of large animals, @ land nor @ sea. & we have to either adapt our food crops & animals & etc. to changing soil & weather & water conditions, or do something else creative, & soon.

Between the chaos of human societies imploding, struggles for resources, massive flows of refugees looking for shelter & lives - I think it's going to be ugly for a time, & no one is going to be able to preserve the more delicate animal & plant species in the wild. A pity, because I think there's still a lot we could learn from the wild - in terms of pharmaceuticals, drugs, anti-bacterials & etc. We'll just have to wait, I suppose, until we resolve the other issues.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
It's your funeral, my friend. You may be going, but probability suggests you may not be coming back.
Quotes from your own links:

33% Islam https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/kenya

"117,000 British residents visited Kenya in 2014. Most visits are trouble-free."

55% Islam https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tanzania

"Most visits are trouble-free"

Tourists get robbed and killed in US cities too, but most visits here are trouble-free as well.

BTW, while exact religious distribution figures vary, those figures are all way exaggerated far over any other published data. For example:

But anyway, not sure why you're so worried about Africa. It's a huge tourist destination and of course hunting destination for millions of people every year. And you almost never hear about tourists getting killed there.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:17 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I'll give you an example of why the things you mentioned should NEVER happen.

South Africa was once colonized and ruled by the Dutch, and then...BOOM!!! Apartheid.

For you to suggest that Black people need white leadership, whether in Lagos or Los Angeles, is akin to sheep being led into the slaughterhouse. Sorry (not sorry), but let the Africans work out their own problems without interference.
Ahem:

South Africa is a 'less equal place' now than under apartheid, author says | Public Radio International

The Ongoing Tragedy of Post-Apartheid South Africa | Frontpage Mag

20 Years After Apartheid, South Africa Asks, 'How Are We Doing?' : Parallels : NPR

Having been in SA recently, I can tell you the place is a mess since the government was turned over to the blacks two decades ago. Sadly the black leadership hasn't been able to do anything right at all. Public services are a mess, crime is out of control, etc.

Granted a lot of the problems could be written off as essentially growing pains of a new administration, but not two decades worth!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Maybe 20 years ago: I would've agreed with taking control of Africa; not so much in 2016. Why I say that is many of the "Black" countries are really stepping up and taking care of business like Botswana, Rwanda, Namibia, and many others even counting Somalia.

OTOH it seems it's the "white" countries are going the other way like Egypt, Libya and so on.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ahem:

South Africa is a 'less equal place' now than under apartheid, author says | Public Radio International

The Ongoing Tragedy of Post-Apartheid South Africa | Frontpage Mag

20 Years After Apartheid, South Africa Asks, 'How Are We Doing?' : Parallels : NPR

Having been in SA recently, I can tell you the place is a mess since the government was turned over to the blacks two decades ago. Sadly the black leadership hasn't been able to do anything right at all. Public services are a mess, crime is out of control, etc.

Granted a lot of the problems could be written off as essentially growing pains of a new administration, but not two decades worth!
Keep in mind that the current government of South Africa is distributing its resources to the entire country, versus the apartheid system where all the wealth went to 12-15% of the population and everyone else lived in squalor.

It's much easier to create a great life for 15% of your population versus 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies