Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:44 PM

30,320 posts, read 19,098,941 times

Advertisements

One thing I learned from my college roommate, who is an actor by vocation, is that the movie industry takes into account worldwide sales, so you have to consider world preferences. The other thing is only a few actors and actresses have the presence and ability to carry a movie on their own. if you go back and watch a low budget or bit part of someone that made it big in Hollywood, you normally can see that they stood out on that minor stage as well....so it's an industry that talent shines and low talent is also glaring.

You do see many black actors doing very well in the industry, what you don't see as much are Asian actors that are that are big stars. By the way, my actor best friend is Asian and is an advocate for seeing more Asians in the industry promoted as stars.

The other thing I learned from me actor friend is that movies are promoted and sold and investors are making the calls on movies and it's a cut throat industry...you better produce success or you will die in this ultra competitive environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,504,361 times
White actors apparently ring in more money. Hollywood is all about power n money

Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
It's funny that mostly live in the hills outside L.A. proper..Malibu...Mulholland..Topanga.. Chatsworth..all areas well outside the city and lovely colorful south central...

They are the first to call when some minority transient wanders into their neighborhoods
I really hate saying this since you and I agree on very little... but, you nailed it!

Holywoodlanders (yes that's proper) are the most open, tolerant, civil rights minded people on earth... until "those people" wander into their neighborhoods.

Windows up, doors locked, call 911!

btw, I worked in Compton, the Wood, S.Central all the time when I was a contractor. Witnessed a shootout between rival gangs 20 yards from a home I was working in. 80th and Van Ness... and Arlington Gardens is the nicer part of the area. 60th and Normandy is a freakin slum, as bad as anything I've ever been in.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM

50,717 posts, read 24,221,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I would argue that liberals don't want diversity.

Liberals want POWER. they use words like diversity to gain POWER.

$$$$$ = POWER....

high paid actors .... power.... what you see is what you get.
So you're saying that conservatives don't want power?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The answer is that blacks pay money to see white actors and in record numbers even if prices escalate.

Supply and demand.

If blacks weren't paying the money to watch movies where white actors were the leads then maybe someone would notice?

If you went to a theatre and only white people showed up, that would make more noise than a Kapernick sitting on an M80 with a short fuse.
Well, I think you're making a broad generality.

1. Sometimes people go to see a movie, and sometimes people go to see an actor.

2. There's a relatively healthy "Black cinema" out there that produces mostly-Black-cast films, and many of them are darned good.

3. More and more "general" films are having Black actors cast in important parts. Eg., Kevin Hart and John Boyega.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Maybe because the best actors happen to be white?
Pure nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies