Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:07 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why do people make such idiotic comments on this forum?
This is a very defensive response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Stop trying to twist the conversation because you were called out on your assumption.

My post is addressing your assumption that my post was about race. You, like the poster that I quoted, made the assumption that this discussion was about race.

It is NOT.
I think you should calm down.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you should calm down.
Making assumptions again. I'm very calm.

My vote: Gimme a break and a beer...well, swap that with a virgin pina colada! LOL.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The question about seeking a diverse area is usually preceded by, "as a mixed race couple"... so yes it is often about race.

Even if you add in religion, sexual orientation, etc., there is still some expectation from the seekers that the neighborhood should be a certain way (tolerant?) if it has all these mixtures. But its still just a neighborhood of people and it is not fair to expect anything based on the concept of diversity, however you want to define it.
I agree with your bold. I think this couple perhaps is looking for acceptance, everyone has the right to make their life a little bit easier. So I won't blame them.

In my most humble opinion, however, diversity of race does not really mean high tolerance

My sister (German.Irish.Japanese) is engaged to a black guy, they get very interesting remarks from people of all colors.

I am living in a beach neighborhood, majority of the people here keep it to themselves. They don't stare or comment, they don't care. I am sure mixed race couple will be pretty happy living in my neighborhood. I doubt they even talk about mixed race couple behind their doors. Different people have different priorities. lol

Old 09-02-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The question about seeking a diverse area is usually preceded by, "as a mixed race couple"... so yes it is often about race.

Even if you add in religion, sexual orientation, etc., there is still some expectation from the seekers that the neighborhood should be a certain way (tolerant?) if it has all these mixtures. But its still just a neighborhood of people and it is not fair to expect anything based on the concept of diversity, however you want to define it.
Regardless, diversity includes more than race. This discussion isn't limited to a forum, and perspectives change from one person to the next. There are different types of diversity and usually people specify what types they are focusing on.

Is it a bad thing to see out a more accepting, tolerant environment? If that is the desire of the buyer or renter, then that is their preference. People have all sorts of preferences when seeking a place to live. Not sure why that preference seems so bothersome to the OP and some others.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I was brought up in diverse neighborhoods before diverse was a term people sought out. I had Laos friends, Black, Germans, Italians, Mexicans etc etc etc neighbors. All sorts. But I wasn't brought up thinking that was diverse and cool. It was just our neighborhoods. Big deal.
I think people are so PC that they forget just to be themselves and stop seeking out acceptable trends. Being diverse is the stupidest term I have heard in years. America is a melting pot of the world, remember. The diversity is ingrained in every day life here in the USA.
And who am I? Are you paying their bills? Raising their children? What kind of in your face attack is that.
I may be paying their bills, as they may be on the government dole, like so many people. So yes, I am a taxpayer that pays allot of peoples bills and helps raise their children.

I agree with your entire post.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:23 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think so. Maybe you should go back and read your own posts. You know the reasons why you attacked the posters here. You are the one who did the assuming, not me. If you open your mind and heart and read and listen to what others have to say, then you will realize that most of the posters are NOT talking about race, so there is no reason to be sensitive about it.

Diversity means different things to different people. To me, it means different food, cultural and art centers, pubs, different music festivals, (jazz, country, classic rock, even christian music, etc, etc)

Diversity of experiences, viewpoints, backgrounds, and life experiences.
Tolerance of thought, ideas, people with differing viewpoints, backgrounds, and life experiences.

You can find that in Vermont, where its like 98% white.

What you get when discussing diverse areas is an account of how many people of each race or ethnicity (first generation of course) live on the street and who married outside of their race. Some of us don't even consider it a thing, no need to prove how pc we are by bringing family into it.

Want tolerant - try living in an economically diverse area, poor and rich side by side, totally different lifestyles, education, and lawn care.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:

What you get when discussing diverse areas is an account of how many people of each race or ethnicity (first generation of course) live on the street and who married outside of their race. Some of us don't even consider it a thing, no need to prove how pc we are by bringing family into it.

Want tolerant - try living in an economically diverse area, poor and rich side by side, totally different lifestyles, education, and lawn care.
lol yeah.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Maybe that's most common among generational Americans due to the culture in the U.S.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Diversity doesn't have to mean racial diversity. They could be talking about the availability of restaurants, shopping, and other amenities.
Exactly. Thank you for making sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies