Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM

12,933 posts, read 9,546,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think that "seeking a diverse neighborhood" is trying to be PC. It's saying that they would value being in an integrated neighborhood over a segregated one (whether it's almost all white, all black, all Hispanic, etc.) Of course, when choosing where to live, there should be other factors, but I don't think that not necessarily wanting to living in an almost all-your-race or ethnicity neighborhood is a bad thing.
I agree, I don't see any connection between the two at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:41 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,444,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Diversity is NOT all about so-called race. Why do people assume that every time diversity is mentioned, it must be racial? Are you all that focused on race all the time?

Diversity is cultural, linguistic, religious etc.

Open your mind...goodness.
The threads I am talking about are discussing diversity in terms of race and ethnicity even though they just use the term "diverse".

Old 09-02-2016, 01:26 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,193,103 times
A less than happy view of the topic:

http://www.fredoneverything.org/dive...onal-nightmare

Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,244,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You're being ironic here (I'm hoping).
I was. Sarcastic / facetious, etc.

These were my thoughts: //www.city-data.com/forum/45330821-post98.html

Old 09-02-2016, 02:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,792,432 times
Let's face the fact in the USA diversity tends to center around race. When people mention wanting, or not wanting, a diverse neighborhood 90+% of the time race is what they are talking about.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,763,882 times
Seeking a diverse neighborhood is what white people do to combat their inherent racism that the media and academia and federal government preaches to them.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, in the age of the internet, this is how I will handle real estate. I won't talk to a realtor unless I personally know that realtor. I will go look up houses myself. If one is to my liking, I will not try for a mortgage. I will save up for that house,pay for it in full. No one can fail to show me a house because I'm Black. No one can steer me to a particular neighborhood because I'm Black. I'll do the work myself and no one can try anything.
It is illegal to discriminate and really very seldom done by realtors and their clients. Some private individuals can legally, and sometimes do, discriminate. But most people won't pass up money.

At today's interest rates do not pass up buying just because there is an insignificant chance you will be discriminated against.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 AM

219 posts, read 329,363 times
We are East Asian and when we moved into our neighborhood I made sure that there were other Asian families in the community as well. I grew up in Texas and distinctly remember being the only Asian kid in my entire school. I was known as the "Asian kid" and it was how I was recognized. I regularly received both benign comments and ridicule for being Asian. Later in grad school we moved to an area that was <1% Asian. I again began receiving comments such as, "wow I've never seen an Asian speak such good English!" or "Hey, it's Jackie Chan!" The latter comment was actually a greeting that he actually thought was okay to say. His family actually apologized to me when they saw how offended I was.

We later moved back to Houston which as we all know has a significant Asian population and guess what, we were treated normally again. I could walk down the street and go to a restaurant without people staring at me or asking me questions about my ethnicity. I am for the most part, treated like everyone else.

I see some arguments here saying a more ethnically diverse neighborhood may not necessarily be more tolerant. Can you honestly say that in my case? Ethnically diverse is also not just the neighborhood, it is who you regularly see and interact with in your life. Houston itself is so diverse that even if you live in a homogenous neighborhood, everytime you leave the house or do anything in town you will more than likely see and interact with different types of people.

Just look at this thread, we are all Houstonians (I would think), and for the most part, we all know the social norms of interacting with others.

EDIT: I clicked on this thread from the Houston forum where the OP originally made a post about this, so I erroneously assumed that I was still in the Houston forum.

Last edited by Swack; 09-03-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
We are East Asian and when we moved into our neighborhood I made sure that there were other Asian families in the community as well. I grew up in Texas and distinctly remember being the only Asian kid in my entire school. I was known as the "Asian kid" and it was how I was recognized. I regularly received both benign comments and ridicule for being Asian. Later in grad school we moved to an area that was <1% Asian. I again began receiving comments such as, "wow I've never seen an Asian speak such good English!" or "Hey, it's Jackie Chan!" The latter comment was actually a greeting that he actually thought was okay to say. His family actually apologized to me when they saw how offended I was.

We later moved back to Houston which as we all know has a significant Asian population and guess what, we were treated normally again. I could walk down the street and go to a restaurant without people staring at me or asking me questions about my ethnicity. I am for the most part, treated like everyone else.

I see some arguments here saying a more ethnically diverse neighborhood may not necessarily be more tolerant. Can you honestly say that in my case? Ethnically diverse is also not just the neighborhood, it is who you regularly see and interact with in your life. Houston itself is so diverse that even if you live in a homogenous neighborhood, everytime you leave the house or do anything in town you will more than likely see and interact with different types of people.

Just look at this thread, we are all Houstonians (I would think), and for the most part, we all know the social norms of interacting with others.

EDIT: I clicked on this thread from the Houston forum where the OP originally made a post about this, so I erroneously assumed that I was still in the Houston forum.

From Houston.

I understand why minorities prefer diverse areas but your situation hardly applies to whites. Would you reject an all Asian neighborhood?

Having a Filipino wife I guess there might be some areas I would not like. We once got a couple nasty looks when we went into a East Texas stop n go. Nasty enough for me to put my hand in my front pocket and grasp my knife with a 4.5" blade just in case. I just can't see any real advantage to a white couple of having racial diversity. Do not get me wrong. I do not see any disadvantage either.

The town I came from was like yours. There was one Asian (Vietnamese) pair of siblings in my school. Everyone else was white. I moved to diverse Houston . The color of the gals I dated changed. Not much else.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,339,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
I see some arguments here saying a more ethnically diverse neighborhood may not necessarily be more tolerant. Can you honestly say that in my case? Ethnically diverse is also not just the neighborhood, it is who you regularly see and interact with in your life. Houston itself is so diverse that even if you live in a homogenous neighborhood, everytime you leave the house or do anything in town you will more than likely see and interact with different types of people. .
well, your experience is yours, and I have to say that we are all who we are through experiences.

The only time I experienced some kind of difficulties is when my ex boyfriend took me to the small southern town where he grew up. Don't get me wrong, people are super nice and friendly, but you can`t move to a small town without being bored as hell if you are from somewhere where the population is actually over 30 000+

It is a tough little town has been dying for 50 years.

No, I can't imagine being the ONLY black, hispanic, asian, or muslim in a small town like that. But I like the people there, they have their own mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies