Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:39 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What threat do they present to us?

Does that scare you or something?

I know this'll shock you, but everyone doesn't love America. I know...shocking, huh?

Don't have a stroke now. Have a seat and don't pass out.

Iran is the #1 international sponsor of terrorism. You can stick your head in the sand while the adults deal with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Iran is the #1 international sponsor of terrorism. You can stick your head in the sand while the adults deal with that.
Number one?

Question....what constitutes "terrorism?"

You'd better think long and hard about that answer. Wouldn't want you to trip up and implicate your own country in something as abhorrent as terrorism!

Old 09-02-2016, 03:45 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
You're not a scholar nor do you have a PhD, and you certainly have nothing to tell me that I don't already know on the topic. I lived through the period just like you probably did. And I didn't do so with blinders on.

You DO have an agenda though. Like I said, you (and others) don't like Iran because you can't control them. When you COULD control them, you loved them.

Look no further than a bunch of these posts extolling the wonders of Iran while your shah puppet was in charge.
You don't know what I am and it does not matter. I am not a scholar of the Cold War and I don't make that claim. However, that does not absolve you from your opinionated stance. The motivations of the U.S mirrored those of the Soviet Union.

My agenda is subtle, as I only point out pragmatic issues. Iran has sworn itself as an enemy of the United States and I will treat them as such. I am not in a political position so why would I be interested in controlling another country? Anyway, I am an infidel and I will be treated as such, regardless if I support the Ayatollah or not.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
You don't know what I am and it does not matter. I am not a scholar of the Cold War and I don't make that claim. However, that does not absolve you from your opinionated stance. The motivations of the U.S mirrored those of the Soviet Union.

My agenda is subtle, as I only point out pragmatic issues. Iran has sworn itself as an enemy of the United States and I will treat them as such. I am not in a political position so why would I be interested in controlling another country? Anyway, I am an infidel and I will be treated as such, regardless if I support the Ayatollah or not.
Really? Mirrored the Soviets? Hmmmm....

So tell me, how did our actions in let's say...Chile, mirror Soviet motivations?

How about Guatemala? Or Indonesia? Vietnam?

As to Iran, the Iranians NEVER backstsbbed the British. Not once. All they wanted was an equitable and fair deal for their oil. Nothing more or less. Even the Truman administration rebuffed the British on their claims that Iran was out of line.

In fact, the Iranians used our deal with Saudi Arabia as the template for the deal they desired. The Iranians LOVED the United States, and saw us as the most fair arbiter of all western nations.

So how did our overthrow of a friendly government mirror Soviet ambitions when the Iranians weren't even making appeals to the Soviets...but to the West?

The "they might go communist" line was a canard, and you damn well know it.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:19 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Oil, our lives revolve around it. Get over it. Until someone finds an honest cheap resource to overcome oil, we will continue to have issues over in the ME.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Oil, our lives revolve around it. Get over it. Until someone finds an honest cheap resource to overcome oil, we will continue to have issues over in the ME.
You planning to go die for your barrel?

Nope.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 AM

1,676 posts, read 944,964 times
Quote:
I'm not one of your damn students. You'll tolerate any answer I give you.

And yeah...I'm talking about our overthrow of their government and the installation of a stupid monarch.

We weren't friends with Iran. We were friends with the Shah, his minions and the SAVAK, who were trained by our CIA.

If we were friends with Iran, why did they pour out into the streets by the millions to deprecate our support for a brutal regime and show support for Khomeini.

And if the Shah was so wonderful, why did they throw his ass out of power and kill every remaining government minister that they could find?

As for the Iran/Iraq War, Iraq wouldn't have had to worry about being overrun by Iran had we not goaded Iraq into attacking Iran in the first place in an effort to conduct a proxy war. And we STILL lost the damn thing.

Your attempt at defending Roosevelt is laughable. The United States had NO WORRIES about Iran whatsoever. The Truman administration knew the British were being duplicitous, and declined to help them continue to steal Iran's resources. Ike however, fell for it like a fool...courtesy of Foster Dulles.

What our CIA did is unforgivable and has had negative repercussions that extend far beyond that operation alone. And if you know as much as you claim, you'd know this.

Should've attacked Iran instead? You mean INVADED Iran?

LMAO...that's a good one. We couldn't subdue Iraq...far smaller than Iran with a third of Iran's population.

But somehow in your mind, we were gonna defeat Iran in a war? You're dreaming.
We beat Iraq in like two weeks, at least its military. We're still there because our leaders are too cowardly about world opinion to do what needs to be done--what we so ruthlessly did in Germany and Japan during the Second World War. And we didn't "lose" anything from Iraq & Iran fighting a war in the 1980s. We sold weapons to both sides and made a profit while our enemies killed each other. I call that winning. Saddam invaded Iran because as an Arab, he hated Persians, and as a Sunni, he hated Shiites. He wanted to be the dominant Gulf power and "liberate" Arab tribes in Khuzestan.

And we can beat any goddamn country in that region. We're the superpower. Iran is a weakling by comparison, and is far from being the hegemon of the region. Israel, Turkey, Egypt and even Saudi Arabia are far more powerful.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Really? Mirrored the Soviets? Hmmmm....

So tell me, how did our actions in let's say...Chile, mirror Soviet motivations?

How about Guatemala? Or Indonesia? Vietnam?

As to Iran, the Iranians NEVER backstsbbed the British. Not once. All they wanted was an equitable and fair deal for their oil. Nothing more or less. Even the Truman administration rebuffed the British on their claims that Iran was out of line.

In fact, the Iranians used our deal with Saudi Arabia as the template for the deal they desired. The Iranians LOVED the United States, and saw us as the most fair arbiter of all western nations.

So how did our overthrow of a friendly government mirror Soviet ambitions when the Iranians weren't even making appeals to the Soviets...but to the West?

The "they might go communist" line was a canard, and you damn well know it.
The Iranian people still, for the most part, love Americans and the Western way of life. The tragedy is that they're stuck with loony, imperialist, and suicidal leaders that the West won't stand up to because they're scared of hurting the feelings of Muslims.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It impacts us only because we are over there killing their people, desecrating their Holy Lands and supporting Israel, to a fault. Getting involved in other nations civil wars, all to protect our oil interests. And they rightfully retaliate.
Any country comes over here and messes with us like that, we'd wipe them from the annuals of time.

We should never have gone in. We should leave and respect their property rights.
Israel is hundreds upon hundreds of miles away from Iran. What Israel does doesn't concern them. Iran has always hated Arabs anyways--the Arab racism towards Persians, and vice versa, long predates the Sunni-Shiite conflict. The "we don't like Israel because of 'occupation' of Palestinians" thing is a lie. Iran threatens Israel because they know Israel is the strongest nation in that region--something Iran used to be, and still aspires to be to this day.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:36 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
Quote:
...You'll tolerate any answer I give you...
I learned long ago that trying to educate ignorant people who stuck on an agenda is like trying to teach a pig to sing. You get dirty and it ticks off the pig.

Please wallow in your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies