Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The university has archives with that information.
Vast majority of African Americans in the US are descendents of 400,000 slaves who survived the transplantation from Africa to the US between 1741-1810.

The school kept records. Most plantations kept records of purchases/ sales.

Many people are passionate about tracing their roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Most AA students choose "useless" majors and cannot be competent in the job market. Then you need AA again to give them jobs.
Useless?

According to GT University, the topic of this thread, black students tend to choose majors with high social value albeit lower economic value, teaching, healthcare and so on.

Why Aren

Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Vast majority of African Americans in the US are descendents of 400,000 slaves who survived the transplantation from Africa to the US between 1741-1810.

I wonder if they'll be able to trace their roots back to the Africans that enslaved and traded them off and demand reparations there?

You never answered my question of how is the school shifting its self imposed burden onto the non-preferential student applicants right and fair?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A great opportunity for those from Detroit.
Assuming they qualified. GTU is a highly selective school.

No doubt, Ben Carson from a welfare household headed by a single parent in Detroit, would have qualified for consideration for admission to GTU. An equally qualified applicant who was a proven decendent of a slave once owned by GTU would have an edge. So would an equally qualified legacy applicant.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:

I know that much headway is being made for black genealogies but the problem in this case is linking the slave Sam in Georgetown's records to Samuel Jones that appears in the 1870 census. If Sam the slave was recorded as part of a full family unit in Georgetown's records and that same family unit can be found aged a few years in the 1870 census then you'd have a match. It all comes down to the quality of Georgetown's records, but even that won't help the descendants of the slaves sold in 1838. There you have to link what might be their Civil War era descendants to the slaves bought from Georgetown in 1838 which is a rather large hurdle. Many of the slaves in the 1860 Slave census that I have seen only list them by gender and age rather than name.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:37 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So Jews and Irish included? I'm pretty sure everyone is descendant of a slave at some point in history.

My husband and I were discussing this very same issue tonight and he said the same thing.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,643 posts, read 16,125,463 times
and what happens to affirmative action?

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I wonder if they'll be able to trace their roots back to the Africans that enslaved and traded them off and demand reparations there?

You never answered my question of how is the school shifting its self imposed burden onto the non-preferential student applicants right and fair?
It's a private school. They alone determine what's right and fair for them.

Is it right and fair to give legacy applicants preference?

How about high donor versus moderate donor vs no donor legacy?

GTU is a highly selective school that declines about 83% of applications. They are not lowering their admission standards.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
It's a private school. They alone determine what's right and fair for them.

Is it right and fair to give legacy applicants preference?

How about high donor versus moderate donor vs no donor legacy?

GTU is a highly selective school that declines about 83% of applications. They are not lowering their admission standards.
Private schools even ones not receiving federal funds can only generally determine what's right and fair for them if the government agrees as I posted earlier. So you think it's right and fair? You seem to be defending the policy against those who criticized it. Do you think it's fair and right for the school to discriminate against one student in favor of another because the school wants to "right" its wrong?

No I don't think legacy applicant preference is particularly fair. I won't say wrong. But isn't the school at least implying its slave descendants preference is to right the school's wrong?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But isn't Georgetown placing the burden of "payback" on the non-preferred student applicants and not on itself? How is that fair and Georgetown standing up?
How is that any different than the burden to non preferred students not getting in because of ancestors of alums getting preferred treatment? Both groups ancestors did something for the school.

It could be they are admitting their "normal" amount plus the 10-100 getting in for being ancestors of slaves that built the college. Vs letting in their "normal" amount.

I can't see many being admitted year to year.
Odds of being an ancestor of a slave that built the school? Minimal
Odds on being a good enough student, along with the preferred status of a slave ancestor? Even smaller.

It's up to them, property rights matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies