Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Pretty cool step in my opinion, but I think it would be better if they found a way to give preferential admission to all descendants of all slaves. Still, this is better than not doing anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us...ore-ipad-share

"Mr. DeGioa’s decision to offer an advantage in admissions to descendants, similar to that offered to the children and grandchildren of alumni, is unprecedented, historians say. The preference will be offered to the descendants of all the slaves whose labor benefited Georgetown, not just the men, women and children sold in 1838."

My ancestors were placed into bondage..... The Federal government has owned my ancestors since the Trail of Tears.

I can prove not only I, but 99.9% of us are in bondage today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Why? Georgetown is doing a good thing. They personally used slave labor, and even sold slaves, in order to stay solvent, so offering preferential treatment to those slaves' descendants is the right step to take.
It's not necessarily a 'bad thing', but if every institution tried to right it's wrong from over 100 years ago, we'd never move forward. As monstrous as the institution of slavery was, it happened, it's over and this country needs to move forward.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Pretty cool step in my opinion, but I think it would be better if they found a way to give preferential admission to all descendants of all slaves. Still, this is better than not doing anything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us...ore-ipad-share

"Mr. DeGioa’s decision to offer an advantage in admissions to descendants, similar to that offered to the children and grandchildren of alumni, is unprecedented, historians say. The preference will be offered to the descendants of all the slaves whose labor benefited Georgetown, not just the men, women and children sold in 1838."
It's a few miles across town from Georgetown.

It's called Howard University.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
well ... not quite....Russia didn't ""eliminate"" slavery in the early 1700's.they just RENAMED it

Despite the abolition of slavery in Russia in 1723, when Peter the Great converted household slaves to serfs, Russia remains the 6th largest holder of slaves, estimated at 516,000 in 2013

and let's not forget the Jewish Persecution within Russia in the late 1800's and early 1900's

human trafficking and slavery has been identified in Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan of nationals in contemporary Russian society
While true, that's not entirely relevant. I suspect that other poster was attempting to establish a link between my lineage and slavery, particularly regarding African slaves. Indeed, a link between slavery and my ancestors might exist, but the highest probability is my ancestors were slaves themselves rather than slave owners.

Jewish persecution is also irrelevant. My grandparents are Jewish anyway, so nobody can really try and claim that my ancestors persecuted Jews.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
While true, that's not entirely relevant. I suspect that other poster was attempting to establish a link between my lineage and slavery, particularly regarding African slaves. Indeed, a link between slavery and my ancestors might exist, but the highest probability is my ancestors were slaves themselves rather than slave owners.

Jewish persecution is also irrelevant. My grandparents are Jewish anyway, so nobody can really try and claim that my ancestors persecuted Jews.
And you'd suspect wrong.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottfromPHX View Post
Do you guys get this hurt when Native Americans collect their checks every month?
It doesn't hurt me at all. However, after seeing the way many Native Americans live, it is safe to say it's hurting them. Dependence on the government never turns out good. They will continue to be slaves to the "free money" they receive. Do they deserve that money? Yes. Are they using that money to get out of poverty? No.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:48 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Lowering the bar huh?

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-stan...-and-standards

How many people want to buy grade B eggs at origin for the same price as AA at destination?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So Jews and Irish included? I'm pretty sure everyone is descendant of a slave at some point in history.
The condition was that the descendant's labor must have benefitted Georgetown.

So no you wouldn't get to claim preference as the descendant of some 7th century Pict, or whatever.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
It doesn't hurt me at all. However, after seeing the way many Native Americans live, it is safe to say it's hurting them. Dependence on the government never turns out good. They will continue to be slaves to the "free money" they receive. Do they deserve that money? Yes. Are they using that money to get out of poverty? No.

As always its nothing breeding program for losers. The moment African slaves were freed marks the epoch of their demise. Their in contrast their very slavery allowed them to populate areas of the world they never would have otherwise. While it is certainly not the cost any individual would want to bear it is in stark contrast to destructive favoritism. In the Middle East there is a consistent pattern of the slave and servant class taking on more and more responsibility until such point the ruling class had no skill in anything but leisure, sloth and vice. Persians, Turks, Circassians, and former slaves usurped the power and the civilization. Liberals in a great sense of irony are turning minorities into a petty leisure class before they can even become a corrupted social elite. Mexicans are currently the minority thriving on the "ill treatment" without the privilege of citizenship. China is now the "slave shop of the world" who will be fully trained to rule. The two cultures on the rise are the least privileged. White males are also joining these ranks. There is absolutely no reason to have a white male anywhere for anything but merit on a cost effective basis.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The condition was that the descendant's labor must have benefitted Georgetown.

So no you wouldn't get to claim preference as the descendant of some 7th century Pict, or whatever.

Would you want the decedents of such and such honorarily given the opportunity to be your heart surgeon? How about your brother in law working on the brakes of you RV on your mountain trip? "Ladies and gentlemen, your pilot had unfairly treated ancestors and was fast tracked into the pilot program. Please enjoy your flight".

I don't know, but I do an awful lot of things based upon the selection process. I don't even buy peaches unless I pick them myself on merit. Why would I think anyone from this university was any good at anything but an identity?

Maybe lowering the tuition a bit might be a good idea. Perhaps even free room and board. However on the basis of academic standards sounds like a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies