Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
BTW...has he lowered crime significantly in his own county? I mean, that IS his job!
Policies like aggressively patrolling high-crime areas, keeping drug dealers and prostitutes off the street corners, pulling over vehicles for things like burned out lights, questioning suspicious individuals and throwing criminals in jail are really the only way that law enforcement agencies can lower crime, but those same policies are under attack by many Americans and have resulted in an anti-police backlash in some areas. Without such actions by law enforcement, the only thing they'll ever be able to do is respond to crimes after they've already occurred; there's no way they'd be able to actually lower crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
He's the Sheriff many in America wish they had.

Not that hard to figure out.

I wouldn't say many. I would say the idiot birthers wish they had only.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Arpaio is notorious nationwide because he is vocal about his non-standard practices and politics as sheriff.

His management of his department and his rhetoric make for a more interesting news story than 'Local Sheriff Institues Baloney Sandwich and Applesauce on Jail Menu' or 'Sheriff Washes Car after Long Shift'.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Policies like aggressively patrolling high-crime areas, keeping drug dealers and prostitutes off the street corners, pulling over vehicles for things like burned out lights, questioning suspicious individuals and throwing criminals in jail are really the only way that law enforcement agencies can lower crime, but those same policies are under attack by many Americans and have resulted in an anti-police backlash in some areas. Without such actions by law enforcement, the only thing they'll ever be able to do is respond to crimes after they've already occurred; there's no way they'd be able to actually lower crime.
Are you saying that Maricopa County residents are hostile to his efforts? Because as a native, I don't believe that's true at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Illegal immigrants affect in a very negative way, the quality of life in many places that do not border another country.

You have no point.
I live in a border county with a view of Mexico's mountains from my rear veranda.

Outside of the occasional skirmish that LEOs have with illegals here and there, the quality of life is pretty damn good.

Granted, the issue of illegal aliens is a whole nother matter in Maricopa County, but it's far from the most important issue up there. And Arpaio's deputies aren't at ground zero of the issue even in this state.

So to think that he's the national expert on immigration is laughable. There are dozens of border county sheriffs across the southwest that deal with that Issue far more than he does.

So that's out the window. Next!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Arpaio is a criminal, pure and simple. Hopefully the court will put him in his place.
Was just re-elected by double digit margin.

Arpaio is a national figure because of all the effort by the feds to find something to hang on him.

Apparently the feds, dems and hispanic activists are missing what the regular people see. A law and order guy who takes care of AZ residents.

The politicized feds have so far been unable to topple him. David vs goliath is always news. Just like the crowds rooting for the "Bandit' in Smokey and the Bandit.

Charges of racism have been diluted so badly becuase of its use as a political weapon, no one pays attention. The libs have set the racist bar so low, everyone living could be charged with racism.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
This is a question that perplexes quite a few Arizonans. I've had out of state people ask me all kinds of questions about Joe Arpaio, and I remind them that although I'm originally from Maricopa County, I'm a 20 year resident of Cochise County. Arpaio is a non entity here, and everywhere else outside of his home county.

It's as if the rest of the nation thinks that he's the sheriff of Arizona. Hell, he doesn't even hold an office with the Arizona Sheriffs Association. Out here, he's just one of the state's 15 county sheriffs.

I'll then ask some of my questioners the name of their own sheriff, and 9 outta 10 don't know!

But they know all about Arpaio. SMH...makes no sense to me.

The only reason I know about him is because of his birtherism nonsense and his "Cold Case Posse" debacle.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Why? Based on what?
Gosh, do you ever read anything?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Quote:
Immigration is the thing that cracks me up. He's not even from a border county. My sheriff is better informed on that topic for more than Arpaio is.

OK..prisoners wear pink. He's "tough on crime" (like every elected pogue with a badge says he/she is), dedicates his life to law enforcement (like a bazillion other people have done) ...blah, blah, blah...

But I'm not seeing anything special. There are 3100+ counties in the United States....all with some form of sheriff or something like one. You're telling me that he's the most distinguished in that bunch?

Because in his own state, he's nothing outside of his own County.

BTW...has he lowered crime significantly in his own county? I mean, that IS his job!
When the media and Democrat Politicians go after you, you are doing something right. Obviously messing up their agenda.
And, being near a border isn't the only base immigration issues happen.
And the media talks to other Sheriffs..

Old 09-01-2016, 11:29 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Probably because he is a folk hero in Arizona and elsewhere. His title is "Toughest Sheriff of the World." Quite frankly, who wants a world's softest sheriff?

I watched several of his interviews, he is certainly not a very politically correct sheriff, but I think he is very authentic about what he truly believes. He is certainly not a fake person.

Plus, he is directly elected, and he wins by a good margin. Most people there are certainly pretty happy about him.

I think he is a white David A. Clarke Jr., both are good sheriffs. You might not agree with them, but both are doing their jobs.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Never heard of him but he must be some conservative darling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies