Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
LOL can you read this?
That's not from the Constitution. This is: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

So what portion of the Constitution forbids a state from seceding?

I went into great detail on one of these secession threads about TX v. White earlier this year. Firstly, you are aware that the commentary on secession was not the actual decision but simply dicta, which is nonbinding? Basic matter but you apparently failed to grasp that. There has never been a binding decision on secession. The actual decision was quite brief, as is typical: "On the whole case, therefore, our conclusion is that the State of Texas is entitled to the relief sought by her bill, and a decree must be made accordingly"

The dozens, even hundreds, of pages the justices write of dicta are how they came to their decision, not the actual, binding, decision.

TX v. White is easily torn to shreds because the entire argument of Chase is based not on the Constitution at all (he never was able to refute the 10th Amendment and prove the Constitution forbids secession) but his own personal opinions about American history that are easily refuted with even a brief study of the Revolution and constitutional convention. Just the Declaration of Independence alone refutes many of his arguments that they created a perpetual union and never intended for the people to abolish their governments (and note how "these States" is used in it indicating independent states), and, the "indissoluble" and "perpetual" union was taken entirely out of context from the Articles of Confederation (which no longer govern the country BTW), here's some quotes from the Articles to put it in context:

Article II. Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

Article XIII. Every State shall abide by the determination of the United States in Congress assembled, on all questions which by this confederation are submitted to them. And the Articles of this Confederation shall be inviolably observed by every State, and the Union shall be perpetual; nor shall any alteration at any time hereafter be made in any of them; unless such alteration be agreed to in a Congress of the United States, and be afterwards confirmed by the legislatures of every State.

As you can see from that last quote, if that "perpetual union" were still in effect, we wouldn't have the Constitution, and it contradicts the earlier section in which states retain their independence. Reality shown by history is the states never acted as if Congress had any say over their affairs while under the Articles. As it is, the union under the Articles was dissolved and replaced by the Constitution. The "perpetual union" is no longer in effect. The Constitution has no such words, and the 10th Amendment says:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Secession is not prohibited by the Constitution.

And Article VII of the Constitution says:

"The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same."

So the Constitution was only intended to apply to those states that ratified it, and any that did not would have become independent. The constitutional convention dissolved the union that existed under the Articles of Confederation. That "perpetual union" business Chase claimed is pure nonsense, as you can see, as A) it was taken out of context, B) that union was dissolved and C) the Articles no longer apply. Chase made a poor argument in a case he knew would not cause much trouble if he made his personal rant about secession, whereas in serious cases, he suggested they not be brought forth (his comments in a letter about trying Confederates of treason).

Finally, under Reconstruction, the Southern states were not treated as states, yet, in TX v. White, Chase treats them as though they nevr ceased to be states. A serious contradiction that has never been settled. The dissenting justices pointed this out as below:

Mr. Justice GRIER, dissenting.
I regret that I am compelled to dissent from the opinion of the majority of the court on all the points raised and decided in this case. $ The first question in order is the jurisdiction of the court to entertain this bill in behalf of the State of Texas.
The original jurisdiction of this court can be invoked only by one of the United States. The Territories have no such right conferred on them by the Constitution, nor have the Indian tribes who are under the protection of the military authorities of the government.
Is Texas one of these United States? Or was she such at the time this bill was filed, or since?
This is to be decided as a political fact, not as a legal fiction. This court is bound to know and notice the public history of the nation.

If I regard the truth of history for the last eight years, I cannot discover the State of Texas as one of these United States. I do not think it necessary to notice any of the very astute arguments which have been advanced by the learned counsel in this case, to find the definition of a State, when we have the subject treated in a clear and common sense manner by Chief Justice Marshall, in the case of Hepburn & Dundass v. Ellxey. 21 As the case is short, I hope to be excused for a full report of it, as stated and decided by the court. He says:
  • 'The question is, whether the plaintiffs, as residents of the District of Columbia, can maintain an action in the Circuit Court of the United States for the District of Virginia. This depends on the act of Congress describing the jurisdiction of that court. The act gives jurisdiction to the Circuit Courts in cases between a citizen of the State in which the suit is brought, and a citizen of another State. To support the jurisdiction in this case, it must appear that Columbia is a State. On the part of the plaintiff, it has been urged that Columbia is a distinct political society, and is, therefore, a 'State' according to the [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 738] [/SIZE]definition of writers on general law. This is true; but as the act of Congress obviously uses the word 'State' in reference to that term as used in the Constitution, it becomes necessary to inquire whether Columbia is a State in the sense of that instrument. The result of that examination is a conviction that the members of the American Confederacy only are the States contemplated in the Constitution. The House of Representatives is to be composed of members chosen by the people of the several States, and each State shall have at least one representative. 'The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two senators from each State.' Each State shall appoint, for the election of the executive, a number of electors equal to its whole number of senators and representatives. These clauses show that the word 'State' is used in the Constitution as designating a member of the Union, and excludes from the term the signification attached to it by writers on the law of nations.'
Now we have here a clear and well-defined test by which we may arrive at a conclusion with regard to the questions of fact now to be decided.
Is Texas a State, now represented by members chosen by the people of that State and received on the floor of Congress? Has she two senators to represent her as a State in the Senate of the United States? Has her voice been heard in the late election of President? Is she not now held and governed as a conquered province by military force? The act of Congress of March 2d, 1867, declares Texas to be a 'rebel State,' and provides for its government until a legal and republican State government could be legally established. It constituted Louisiana and Texas the fifth military district, and made it subject, not to the civil authority, but to the 'military authorities of the United States.'
It is true that no organized rebellion now exists there, and the courts of the United States now exercise jurisdiction over the people of that province. But this is no test of the State's being in the Union; Dacotah is no State, and yet the courts of the United States administer justice there as they do in Texas. The Indian tribes, who are governed by military force, cannot claim to be States of the Union. Wherein does the condition of Texas differ from theirs?- [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 739] [/SIZE]Now, by assuming or admitting as a fact the present status of Texas as a State not in the Union politically, I beg leave to protest against any charge of inconsistency as to judicial opinions heretofore expressed as a member of this court, or silently assented to. I do not consider myself bound to express any opinion judicially as to the constitutional right of Texas to exercise the rights and privileges of a State of this Union, or the power of Congress to govern her as a conquered province, to subject her to military domination, and keep her in pupilage. I can only submit to the fact as decided by the political position of the government; and I am not disposed to join in any essay to prove Texas to be a State of the Union, when Congress have decided that she is not. It is a question of fact, I repeat, and of fact only. Politically, Texas is not a State in this Union. Whether rightfully out of it or not is a question not before the court.
But conceding now the fact to be as judicially assumed by my brethren, the next question is, whether she has a right to repudiate her contracts? Before proceeding to answer this question, we must notice a fact in this case that was forgotten in the argument. I mean that the United States are no party to this suit, and refusing to pay the bonds because the money paid would be used to advance the interests of the rebellion. It is a matter of utter insignificance to the government of the United States to whom she makes the payment of these bonds. They are payable to the bearer. The government is not bound to inquire into the bon a fides of the holder, nor whether the State of Taxes has parted with the bonds wisely or foolishly. And although by the Reconstruction Acts she is required to repudiate all debts contracted for the purposes of the rebellion, this does not annul all acts of the State government during the rebellion, or contracts for other purposes, nor authorize the State to repudiate them.
Now, whether we assume the State of Texas to be judicially in the Union (though actually out of it) or not, it will not alter the case. The contest now is between the State of Texas and her own citizens. She seeks to annul a contract [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 740] [/SIZE]with the respondents, based on the allegation that there was no authority in Texas competent to enter into an agreement during the rebellion. Having relied upon one fiction, namely, that she is a State in the Union, she now relies upon a second one, which she wishes this court to adopt, that she was not a State at all during the five years that she was in rebellion. She now sets up the plea of insanity, and asks the court to treat all her acts made during the disease as void.
We have had some very astute logic to prove that judicially she was not a State at all, although governed by her own legislature and executive as 'a distinct political body.'
The ordinance of secession was adopted by the convention on the 18th of February, 1861; submitted to a vote of the people, and ratified by an overwhelming majority. I admit that this was a very ill-advised measure. Still it was the sovereign act of a sovereign State, and the verdict on the trial of this question, 'by battle,'22 as to her right to secede, has been against her. But that verdict did not settle any question not involved in the case. It did not settle the question of her right to plead insanity and set aside all her contracts, made during the pending of the trial, with her own citizens, for food, clothing, or medicines. The same 'organized political body,' exercising the sovereign power of the State, which required the indorsement of these bonds by the governor, also passed the laws authorizing the disposal of them without such indorsement. She cannot, like the chameleon, assume the color of the object to which she adheres, and ask this court to involve itself in the contradictory positions, that she is a State in the Union and was never out of it, and yet not a State at all for four years, during which she acted and claims to be 'an organized political body,' exercising all the powers and functions of an independent sovereign State. Whether a State de facto or de jure, she is estopped from denying her identity in disputes with her own citizens. If they have not fulfilled their [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 741] [/SIZE]contract, she can have her legal remedy for the breach of it in her own courts.
But the case of Hardenberg differs from that of the other defendants. He purchased the bonds in open market, bon a fide, and for a full consideration. Now, it is to be observed that these bonds are payable to bearer, and that this court is appealed to as a court of equity. The argument to justify a decree in favor of the commonwealth of Texas as against Hardenberg, is simply this: these bonds, though payable to bearer, are redeemable fourteen years from date. The government has exercised her privilege of paying the interest for a term without redeeming the principal, which gives an additional value to the bonds. Ergo, the bonds are dishonored. Ergo, the former owner has a right to resume the possession of them, and reclaim them from a bon a fide owner by a decree of a court of equity.
This is the legal argument, when put in the form of a logical sorites, by which Texas invokes our aid to assist her in the perpetration of this great wrong.
A court of chancery is said to be a court of conscience; and however astute may be the argument introduced to defend this decree, I can only say that neither my reason nor my conscience can give assent to it.

Mr. Justice SWAYNE:
I concur with my brother Grier as to the incapacity of the State of Texas, in her present condition, to maintain an original suit in this court. The question, in my judgment, is one in relation to which this court is bound by the action of the legislative department of the government.
Upon the merits of the case, I agree with the majority of my brethren.
I am authorized to say that my brother MILLER unites with me in these views.
THE DECREE.
The decree overruled the objection interposed by way of plea, in the answer of defendants to the authority of the solicitors of [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 742] [/SIZE]the complainant to institute this suit, and to the right of Texas, as one of the States of the National Union, to bring a bill in this court.
It declared the contract of 12th January, 1865, between the Military Board and White and Chiles void, and enjoined White and Chiles from asserting any claim under it, and decreed that the complainant was entitled to receive the bonds and coupons mentioned in the contract, as having been transferred or sold to White and Chiles, which, at the several times of service of process, in this suit, were in the possession, or under the control of the defendants respectively, and any proceeds thereof which had come into such possession or control, with notice of the equity of the complainant.
It enjoined White, Chiles, Hardenberg, Birch, Murray, Jr., and other defendants, from setting up any claim to any of the bonds and coupons attached, described in the first article of said contract, and that the complainant was entitled to restitution of such of the bonds and coupons and proceeds as had come into the possession or control of the defendants respectively.
And the court, proceeding to determine for which and how many bonds the defendants respectively were accountable to make restitution of, or make good the proceeds of, decreed that Birch and Murray were so accountable for eight, numbered in a way stated in the decree, with coupons attached; and one Stewart (a defendant mentioned in the note at page 702), accountable for four others, of which the numbers were given, with coupons; decreed that Birch and Murray, as also Stewart, should deliver to the complainant the bonds for which they were thus made accountable, with the coupons, and execute all necessary transfers and instruments, and that payment of those bonds, or any of them, by the Secretary of the Treasury, to the complainant, should be an acquittance of Birch and Murray, and of Stewart, to that extent, and that for such payment this decree should be sufficient warrant to the secretary.
And, it appearing-the decree went on to say-upon the pleadings and proofs, that before the filing of the bill, Birch and Murray had received and collected from the United States the full amount of four other bonds, numbered, &c., and that Hardenberg, before the commencement of the suit, had deposited thirty-four bonds, numbered, &c., in the Treasury Department for redemption, of which bonds he claimed to have received payment [SIZE=-1][74 U.S. 700, 743] [/SIZE]from the Secretary of the Treasury before the service of process upon him in this suit, in respect to which payment and the effect thereof the counsel for the said Birch and Murray, and for the said Hardenberg respectively, desired to be heard, it was ordered that time for such hearing should be given to the said parties. Both the complainant and the defendants had liberty to apply for further directions in respect to the execution of the decree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
Good for you. Why don't you leave then?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Right, because we as a state have unlimited resources. Sorry, if the country has limitations so does Montana.
Most of MT's land and resources are locked up by the feds and unavailable currently.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed, and should we show the same attitude towards our enemies abroad? I believe so, no mercy, no quarter and if we need to beat information out of them, so be it. At any rate, what your talking about here is pretty brutal, as applied to our own countrymen. You would have exterminated everyone in the Confederacy then, I'm taking it? This gleaned from your 'this time' comment. And, as I have asked you before, to what end? Total control? Punishment? Retribution? Hmmm, yea, that woulda learned em' but GOOD! If it comes to another war between the states, at least we know where you stand, and if your running the show, secessionists may as well fight to the last man ,woman and child. Nothing to lose.
No kidding. Their statements just make it obvious how much they hate freedom, so much so, that even if the majority of a state's people desire to be free because the government no longer serves their interests, the far left would desire to kill them all to maintain power over a bit of real estate.

I wonder what they would do if a state like Vermont seceded...

Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Question, so how many states have to consent to dissolve the union ?
Read the Constitution and TX v White. Chase was literally making stuff up out of thin air in the decision. Because the Constitution contains nothing to support his own extreme hatred of secession (he was an extreme nationalist).

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most of MT's land and resources are locked up by the feds and unavailable currently.
"Currently" - Because we let them - currently.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I know, I live here. I was trying to use sarcasm. I obviously failed.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
You can also see Ruby Ridge from your porch

Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You can also see Ruby Ridge from your porch
We keep Gerry Spence tied up in our back yard.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
A fantasy. No state will ever secede ever again, well that is unless they want the army to beat them into submission.
What if that state is heavily armed with nukes? Keep in mind that most of the non-sub based nukes are in the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies