Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Amazing how the right wing "less government" crowd advocates more government when it is convenient to them.

Why not allow a true . A good conservative right wing Republican should be in favor of "laissez-faire" system at all times.

More government? This is one of only a few jobs we the people originally authorized the government to actually do and do well to keep us prosperous for the general welfare of the nation's citizens. There is nothing "more government" about it. It is one of the original reasons the federal governments exists in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Florida I rarely see anyone other than Hispanics doing landscaping, construction, roofing, harvesting fruit. If I needed a job I'd bet out there among them if I had to.
Unique to Florida, there are sanctuary counties, not just cities.

Florida legislature has been Republican majority for decades.

But so long as politicians and the media who loves them can sustain the perception it's a partisan issue, the can will be kicked, as intended.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unique to Florida, there are sanctuary counties, not just cities.

Florida legislature has been Republican majority for decades.

But so long as politicians and the media who loves them can sustain the perception it's a partisan issue, the can will be kicked, as intended.
No it is not unique to Florida. Every Republican legislated State has sanctuary Counties or Parishes. Islands of blue in the sea of red

There are more than 10 Sanctuary Counties in Texas, with Travis County being the most progressive.

Heck, I can name entire states that are sanctuary states(Cali, New York, New Mexico). Not one of them, legislated by republican rule.

You tell me which party is looking out for American Citizens best interest and which party is looking out for the best interest of their bank accounts?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I lived it and saw first hand for myself. Those of us along the border, saw it happening 10-15 years prior to the northern states that got their taste of illegals from south of the border, less than 10 years ago.

Which state substantially lobbied Congress in the 50's to make employment of undocumented workers, legal?

Who built the homes, commercial structures and physical municipal structures in Texas?

Who built the Woodlands?

Same deal in California.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Don't blame illegals, blame the companies who hire them
Why not blame both?

"Wanting a better life" is no excuse to break our laws.

If I was a computer hacker who "just wants a better life" and I write a skimming program that steals pennies from millions of bank accounts, I wouldn't really be hurting anyone.....no one would even miss those pennies.

But I would still be committing a crime....should I not be convicted of it?

Or should the case be dropped because I "just wanted a better life"?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:32 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's.

30 years of doing nothing landed us where we are at, right now.

It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. They all kicked the can.

And as long as politicians and the media who loves them can persuade us it's a partisan issue, they are able to protect employers.

So long as US employers can continue to employ undocumented people without fear of harsh consequences, workers will come. No wall is high enough nor patrols deep enough.

Employment has been the root cause of illegal immigration, all along.

Immigrants, legal and otherwise, have gotten busy creating anchor babies all along. Used to be the anchor baby enabled the family to acquire legal residency, import their extended family and move to the front of the line for citizenship.

SCOTUS needs to rule on birthright citizenship. If affirmative, a super majority of Congress are needed to agree to an amendment. POTUS does not get a vote. Then 38 states must ratify it.
Nothing like a defeatist attitude, right? First off they aren't undocumented people they are illegal aliens. Only sympathizers to illegal aliens use PC terms such as "undocumented".

Removing all incentives for illegals to remain here will indeed cause many to self-deport. The wall would also be a deterrant for more wanting to come here. E-verify, denying them benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids would have illegal immigration down to a trickle.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The job of the President, is to enforce the laws CONGRESS passes.

There are laws existing, that would eliminate illegal aliens entering this nation and for the removal of those here illegally. The President is the one that enforces the federal law.... Or not to enforce it.
And Congress controls the purse strings.

Most reasonable people seem to understand that it would take serious decades to deport every illegal alien under existing laws/ due process.

70 million people legally enter the US each year for purposes of tourism, business development and education. 70 MILLION.

Once entered, they are all free to travel anywhere in the US as US people are in most foreign countries. Some are illegally employed and return home before their visa expires. Rinse and repeat.

It has been estimated that about 1% overstay their visas each year. 700,000.

Biometric entrance and exit processing would help identify who has overstayed. It does nothing to identify where they are.

Most manage to exist without detection.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Great story but I'd like to know did nobody eat watermelons in the 50s?
Sure did.

It was not a crime to employ illegal aliens until 1986.

Mexicans have been legally and illegally planting/ harvesting crops for more than 100 years.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They aren't undocumented workers they are illegal aliens.
Alrighty, then.

They aren't employers, they are criminals employing illegal labor.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:54 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Meatpacking is another job that Americans supposedly “won`t do.” But author Eric Schlosser, whose recent “Fast Food Nation” had a long run on the New York Times best seller list, wrote that 20 years ago jobs in packing plants were among the most well paid and highest skilled in America.

Until the late 1970s, meatpacking was one of the highest paid industrial jobs in the United States. And then the Reagan and Bush administrations stood aside and allowed the meatpacking industry to bust unions, to hire strike breakers and scabs, to not only hire illegal immigrants but to transport them here from Mexico in company buses.

The result said Schlosser is that meatpacking is now one of the country`s lowest paying and most dangerous jobs.

I blame both parties. Neither has done a good job.

As long as the job market has an inexhaustible supply of cheap labor, wages will remain stagnant. And the low-skilled native workers who are replaced by immigrants with equally limited skills have few places to turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies