Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd hope that if the cops ran up on a genuinely absent-minded older person with a placard that they forgot to display, they'd just let them off with a warning.
They will, or any ticket issued can be successfully fought in court.

A cop wrote a ticket to my 35-year-old friend because "she didn't look handicapped." And she even had a legal placard. She fought the ticket in court, and won. The supremely embarrassed cop sent her flowers with an apology. You see, she had very painful bone cancer in her left leg. She brought the MD's diagnosis and her medical treatment records to court, showed them to the judge, and the judge really dressed down the cop for issuing the ticket.

You can't tell who's legitimately handicapped based only on appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'd hope that if the cops ran up on a genuinely absent-minded older person with a placard that they forgot to display, they'd just let them off with a warning.
They do where I live. All you have to do is take the ticket and your legal hang tag down to the police station and they will wave the ticket. No warning issued, no hassles. Happened to two people I know.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
What do you think?
We should totally eliminate handicapped parking.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But if you can walk around the mall for two hours, why can't you walk fifty feet to a parking spot?

Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They will, or any ticket issued can be successfully fought in court.

A cop wrote a ticket to my 35-year-old friend because "she didn't look handicapped." And she even had a legal placard. She fought the ticket in court, and won. The supremely embarrassed cop sent her flowers with an apology. You see, she had very painful bone cancer in her left leg. She brought the MD's diagnosis and her medical treatment records to court, showed them to the judge, and the judge really dressed down the cop for issuing the ticket.

Never said you could, and I don't confront people who park in handicapped spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They do where I live. All you have to do is take the ticket and your legal hang tag down to the police station and they will wave the ticket. No warning issued, no hassles. Happened to two people I know.
Good.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:02 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But if you can walk around the mall for two hours, why can't you walk fifty feet to a parking spot?
What does that have to do with all the disabled people who don't "walk around the mall for two hours?"

Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We should totally eliminate handicapped parking.
Why do you care so much? Most disabled people would gladly give up the handicapped parking privilege if they could have their health back so they didn't need the extra help. Where's your compassion? You could end up in an accident or develop a life-altering illness or disease. No one knows the future and one day you might be glad the rest of the world is not self-centered and short-sighted and is willing to cut you a small break.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Could be, but if you can WALK, that is the point here.
Make you a deal, I'll quit using Handicapped parking, YOU take my disabilities/pain for just 90 days and see how you do...
I'll wait while you scream for morphine drips...

Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
The one I get a kick out of is when they sit and wait for a close spot to open at the health club. Gives me a headache!

Old 09-06-2016, 04:31 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I remember when handicap parking started it was for people who needed additional room due to braces, wheel chair, or some other appliance that the maneuvering room was needed. Now it seems everyone with an ingrown nail is allowed handicapped parking, my favorite is the youngish looking guy in a 2 seat Mazda convertible who parks, jumps out and goes into the mall. Please don't tell me that his condition might not be visible because he displayed no indications of being limited/challenged in any way but its ok for him to walk around the mall shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies