Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:44 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
First off - hats off to you for not getting a handicap hangtag - but you if anyone is entitled to it. My girlfriend has neuropathy and I know exactly what you are going through. Her doctor even told her she could get SSD but she refuses and has had some very understanding employers when things get tough!

I also see the same thing all the time. Now many people can be disabled but it isn't something that everyone can visually see - but after all my years in medicine - I've seen lots of people get the hangtags that really shouldn't have them. If you only wear your brace and walk with a cane for your visit to the dr's office but not at the mall when I see you outside of work - you're pulling a fast one - and I know you know it when I see your reaction when I run into you outside the office. It's one of those "Oh Poop" moments.

I've also seen many people without hangtags grab handicapped spots just because they are too lazy to walk a few more feet. Wish there were more patrols to actually ticket these folks so they'd get the message - and pay for that privilege of taking that spot!
Prayers to you girlfriend for what she has to go thru. If she has trouble sleeping, i find laying a wet towel at the foot of the bed and laying my feet on it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The lack of consideration for others is abundantly apparent in this World.
^^^A majority of the problems we face these days are directly related to the above statement.^^^

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Every day I see it. People pulling into a handicap spot. hopping out of the car with ease, and trotting off to the store with no signs of impairment.

Happened today when I stopped at Little Caesers to pick up some crazy bread. the 4 slots directly in fron of the store were taken, the only 2 that were open were 2 handicap slots. There were, however, 8 open slots across the isle..like 10 feet away. I pulled into one of them and got out, just in time to see a car pull into one of the 2 handicap spots, hop out and waltz into the store, no problem whatsoever. after getting my crazy bread, i walk out, and there is a pickup truck now parked in the 2nd slot. dude pulled into it while wife went into the store to a pizza. Neither had handicap placards on them.

Now, I suffer from diabetic neuropathy, I have had it for many years and it can be downright agony to even walk sometimes. I usually have to hobble around. I certainly qualify for a placard, but will not take it, since, even though its painful to walk, i would rather allow someone who is in much more pain to use the spot. It just pisses me off that lazy people cant even walk 10 extra feet to get to their destination, while someone with no legs, or spine issues has to look for somewhere else to park.

What do you think?
I think other people's disabilities are none of your business, and I think it's ridiculous for you to assume you can diagnose someone else's medical condition by watching them walk across a parking lot.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Photo ID for handicap tags.

The main abusers are:
- people without a tag
- people using an older relative's tag when that relative is not with them

Old 09-05-2016, 10:21 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
It's a large fine here if they get caught.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 AM

50,284 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I work with a lady that literally sprints out of her truck because she's late to clock in....almost everyday.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
It happens in the Chicago area quite a bit. Recently I saw a car parked right outside the drugstore in a handicapped spot and as I started to walk in noticed a cop pulling into the lot. I waved him over to signal to him, and as I grabbed my item and stood in line saw him park, approach the car with his pad, look down toward the plate, get back in the squad and drive away. I figured I may have missed the handicapped symbol on the plate, thinking they may have redesigned it. So I checked more carefully when I left the store and only then noticed the plate said Illinois Fraternal Order of Police on it.

It's maddening how some entitled *****wipes feel they're above the law.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:38 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Expensive tickets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruEvWwFw3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1RO9wsfPUU

Old 09-05-2016, 10:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I guess being a hard-core conservative is not as important to me as compassion towards others.
Why do people like you always have to make the rest of us look bad?
How do you mention compassion and laws(violence) in the same argument?
I'm consistent, you're confused.

I think handicap spots are a good idea for most businesses and believe most would allot them without having a gun to their head.
p.s. I'm not a conservative.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How do you mention compassion and laws(violence) in the same argument?
I'm consistent, you're confused.

I think handicap spots are a good idea for most businesses and believe most would allot them without having a gun to their head.
p.s. I'm not a conservative.
Out of curiosity, what types of businesses do you think should be exempt from having to provide handicapped parking spaces?

You are wrong assuming most businesses would allot handicap parking spaces without a gun held to their head. Before the law was put into place, businesses had that option and none were doing it. Disabled people have been in communities forever and been ignored and still would be without the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies