Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak,"

But, MILLIONS of us DO care.

Again here we have the double standard.

A few complain about the rebel flag being flown and it is banned.

A few complain about using the "N" word and it is banned.

A few complain about any religious symbol being displayed on public property and they are banned.

BUT, MILLIONS complain about Christ being taken out of Christmas and the FEW are granted their wishes.

etc., etc., etc.

Why is it that when a few complain they get their way but, when MILLIONS complain, their voices are NOT heard?
FYI for the bold above, neither of them are "banned." On the blue, last I heard Christmas is still called Christmas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,895,569 times
Quote:

A few complain about any religious symbol being displayed on public property and they are banned.

BUT, MILLIONS complain about Christ being taken out of Christmas and the FEW are granted their wishes.

etc., etc., etc.

Why is it that when a few complain they get their way but, when MILLIONS complain, their voices are NOT heard?
The NYC Department of Education did not get rid of the word Christmas. It is still called Christmas on their administrative calendars where administrative personnel only get one day off (Christmas) and not an entire between between Christmas and New Years like the students (Christmas break /winter break).

Why is not having an opinion on this an issue? If everybody calls it Christmas break, i will call it Christmas break. If winter break, then that is what it is. If they call it St. Nicholas Day, that's fine as well. There's nothing offensive about it to me, so why would I be for or against it?

There is an email address in the link to the administrative calendar I provided above. Feel free to complain to them. My only desire is for there to be no confusion.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,148,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, the death of christmas, that holiday that starts in the first week of october & doesn't end until Dec. 26th. RIP christmas.
October? I am already seeing Christmas stuff in stores. It's September and they have Christmas trees and other decorations right next to the Halloween items.

In the "war on Christmas" Christmas is winning by swallowing up all other holidays. Before long we'll be seeing Christmas stuff out on the 4th of July.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,635,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
October? I am already seeing Christmas stuff in stores. It's September and they have Christmas trees and other decorations right next to the Halloween items.

In the "war on Christmas" Christmas is winning by swallowing up all other holidays. Before long we'll be seeing Christmas stuff out on the 4th of July.
Hallmark's Keepsake Ornament Premiere started on July 7th.
I'd say that was close enough.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:46 AM

56,986 posts, read 25,952,358 times
Some were arguing on here that Christmas week wasn't a religious holiday it was a winter recess, now the complaining it's not called Christmas, can't win.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:53 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,191,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some were arguing on here that Christmas week wasn't a religious holiday it was a winter recess, now the complaining it's not called Christmas, can't win.
The anti-PC crowd whining about what school breaks are called? How ironic.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,277,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving*. What other Christian holidays would you like?
That you don't understand that changing the name of Christmas Break and Easter Break to "Winter Break" and "Spring Break" is what offends people says a lot about your sensibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Right, so a sample size of one (in any intellectual circle, this would be immediately dismissed at this point anyway) is being used to say that Christians are oppressed.

But you didn't put any thought into this. Did you notice that no holiday on a weekend was listed? I mean, their winter break doesn't start until Dec. 26th, when the two days prior would also be part of that break, technically. They aren't listed because it's on a weekend. Father's day falls on a Sunday; not listed. Mother's day is in the same boat. Halloween; also not listed. Day light savings time; not listed.

The school calendar doesn't have anything listed for days when there isn't school. The ONLY exception to that is on breaks, in which they just inform you that there is a break through that period of time.

You know what else isn't listed? Independence Day. Is it because they hate America or because there's no school in July?
Well then, by your logic, if the ONLY reason that they don't list Christmas Day as a day off is because Christmas Day falls on a weekend then when Christmas Day falls during the week They should list Christmas Day as off, but it is still listed as Winter Recess in the calendars for past and future schedules.

Quote:
Who cares? People still get off for those holidays & everyone knows it. Has that changed? Are employers & schools now saying people cannot have those days off? No. Just more poutrage from the ever persecuted crowd.
As others have said, many people care a lot that Christians are told we can't mention your high holy days by name because that would be entangling government and religion, but they see other religions get to have off their high holy days off and have them named so.

In the interest of consistency shouldn't Eid al-Adha be called "A September Day Recess" and Rosh Hashanah called "Two Days in October Recess", etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
The faces of the homeless are mostly invisible in this country...
Bizarre, irrelevant rant snipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Easter claims He died on Friday and rose on Sunday morning. That is only two days and nights.
Did you skip Religion 101 in college? In the Jewish calendar Jesus died on Friday (day one) and Friday ended at 6PM, was in the tomb on Saturday (day two) which also ended at 6PM and arose on Sunday (day three)

Quote:
Hahaha, please spare me. Like you & all the other hand wringers on here think christmas is anything more than decorating the house, buying presents & eating lots of food. Yeah, I'm sure you're down on your knees praying & musing over the "real" reason for christmas. Lol.
Yeah, your post makes literally no sense. Congratulations.
Their post made all the sense in the world. How people practice their religion is none of your business and not your right to dictate how they should.

The overarching point is some religions get to have their high holy days recognized, others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak, but I can see winter break being more accurate since it encompasses more than just Christmas. The terminology also matches mid-winter break, spring break and summer break.
The only reason "Winter Break" starts when it does is because of Christmas. What is offensive to many people is the removal of the name Christmas. If it were not for Christmas, if it really were a true Winter Recess then between semesters would be the appropriate time, not awkwardly towards the end of a semester. So what would be the harm in calling "Winter Break" Christmas Break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
America's long established heritage and tradition should be respected. If we have to hide our traditional holidays and add new ones then we are not, and there is no assimilation.
Hear, hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How many Christmas days and Easters have your children gone to school
It isn't the point and you well know. It is the erasure of the name from the break period that offends people.

Quote:

etc., etc., etc.

For the most part I agree with your sentiments, but I think more than a few object to the "N" word. What I object to is the notion that some people can use the "N" word and others cannot. Either a word is allowed or it isn't; goose gander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI both "winter" and "spring" breaks are for Christian holidays...(Christmas and Easter also Christmas is on a Sunday this year, which is why the break does't begin until the 26th).
Over and over and over.....

Removing the name "Christmas" from "Christmas Break" offends millions upon millions of people. What is the harm in recognizing the reason for the recess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How is this ironic? This is a glaring example of Political Correctness. The PC crowd wants to eliminate the words Christmas and Easter from the public square, in defiance of all logic and tradition. Being Anti-PC on the issue is completely consistent.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,191,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
How is this ironic? This is a glaring example of Political Correctness. The PC crowd wants to eliminate the words Christmas and Easter from the public square, in defiance of all logic and tradition. Being Anti-PC on the issue is completely consistent.
Seriously? It's the 21st century. Many 'traditions' have changed. Now the anti-PC group insisting that we call everything what they want it to be is the new PC.

Why don't you just call it whatever you want and let others do the same?

Time for control freaks to get over it.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:48 PM

56,986 posts, read 25,952,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Here's the thread go to post #65 and read down, no religious holidays that he knows of LOL.
December 25 is just one huge coincidence.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l-close-7.html

Old 09-06-2016, 12:48 PM

30,650 posts, read 21,811,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving*. What other Christian holidays would you like?

*(I'm not going to sidetrack or quibble if Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday - doesn't bother me how you label it.)
Christians? I'm an Atheist and I celebrate or at least indulge in all those Holidays as do most all the Atheists and Agnostics I know. Call it Cultural Americana or social conditioning, or what ever, hopefully the US will celebrate those holiday's forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies