Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of voter ID? Yes or No!
Yes, as Americans have the right to have only eligible voters, vote! 198 91.24%
No! Americans are honest and will not scam the system so no ID is needed. 19 8.76%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:28 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,972,225 times

Advertisements

[quote=2mares;45420950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Again I have had to show picture ID at a dollar store to get nasal spray, children's cough syrup, etc.
Now I know you are not telling the whole truth. Most dollar store do not have pharmacists so it could not have been a narcotic. Note you can get narcotics for children at an pharmacy with prescription and someone else's id. As most children do not have photo ids to get their own medicines and the person picking it up need not be the parent.

You could not have used food stamps(EBT) for the entire amount of the purchase because the medicine does not count as food. You could have used them for any food items in the purchase then completed the transaction with any payment form you like.

You did not use debit or cash for the purchase because those two don't require id. You only need to know your pin for for the debit card.

You did not use an insurance card on file because the drugs were over the counter. If you had at a pharmacy they would not have needed a Picture ID. Only when the insurance card is new do they need it.

You did use a credit card because that is the only form of payment that requires an ID and Dollar Stores don't sell any products that require ID(except perhaps alcohol).

Note the VAST number of ways a purchase could have been completed without ID. Cash or Debit.Food Stamps if the items were food only. Insurance cards on file.

Quote:
What is so hard about showing an ID. Most people have to have one.
If a person is so elderly, disabled, unable to get about or know what is going on in the world why are they voting? How do they get to the polls?
A ID can become lost, stolen or expired even if you have one. They get driven to the polls by people like me. I drove my grandma to the polls and I sure as hell would not have liked to find out that her State ID had expired and we now need to leave to polling place and hope the DMV is still open esp. if I had to pick her up after work. She had a lot less need of the ID than I did.

Quote:
I have had to show ID at the SS office. Once when I applied for a replacement DL and they claimed someone else was using my SS no. Had to show ID at DMV and SS. Again when I had to get a replacement SS card.
Yes these are actions that should take an id. Without which anyone could easily get your SSN. However to register to vote in IL it only takes the last 4 digits of your SSN, your Driver's licence or State ID number and a piece of mail with your name on it. All of these are available for free and do not require extra trips(i.e. you could find your driver's licence number on the back of a check or something).

Quote:
Perhaps that's why there is food stamp and other assistance fraud. If a person actually had to show ID that fraud would be eliminated.
If a person had to show id it would slow and complicate the transaction and now days it is an card with a pin.

Quote:
Do you have an ID? Have you ever used it? I don't believe it is such and inconvenience for anyone to get an ID and its no excuse for not getting to vote.
I have an ID, but I also have cared for older people and know what an hassle and inconvenience it is to force them to make extra trips. My grandma had vision problems, hip problems and could not drive and you expect a woman like that to make a trip to the DMV? The only way she could go is if we took here and so we would have taken her and that is quite an imposition on everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM

36,076 posts, read 30,572,748 times
[quote=chirack;45425134]

Quote:
Now I know you are not telling the whole truth. Most dollar store do not have pharmacists so it could not have been a narcotic. Note you can get narcotics for children at an pharmacy with prescription and someone else's id. As most children do not have photo ids to get their own medicines and the person picking it up need not be the parent.

You could not have used food stamps(EBT) for the entire amount of the purchase because the medicine does not count as food. You could have used them for any food items in the purchase then completed the transaction with any payment form you like.

You did not use debit or cash for the purchase because those two don't require id. You only need to know your pin for for the debit card.

You did not use an insurance card on file because the drugs were over the counter. If you had at a pharmacy they would not have needed a Picture ID. Only when the insurance card is new do they need it.

You did use a credit card because that is the only form of payment that requires an ID and Dollar Stores don't sell any products that require ID(except perhaps alcohol).

Note the VAST number of ways a purchase could have been completed without ID. Cash or Debit.Food Stamps if the items were food only. Insurance cards on file.
Whole truth. Went in dollar store to by alka-seltzer and nasal spray, over the counter, for sick son. Cashier "I need to see your Identification (DL)". I am not on SNAP, I used a debit card for my purchase. I had to show ID to purchase the medicine. It has happened before.

Quote:
A ID can become lost, stolen or expired even if you have one. They get driven to the polls by people like me. I drove my grandma to the polls and I sure as hell would not have liked to find out that her State ID had expired and we now need to leave to polling place and hope the DMV is still open esp. if I had to pick her up after work. She had a lot less need of the ID than I did.
IDs can be replaced. If one can get a ride to the polls, one can get a ride to the DMV.

Quote:
Yes these are actions that should take an id. Without which anyone could easily get your SSN. However to register to vote in IL it only takes the last 4 digits of your SSN, your Driver's licence or State ID number and a piece of mail with your name on it. All of these are available for free and do not require extra trips(i.e. you could find your driver's licence number on the back of a check or something).
Most areas will provide a free photo ID for those who cant afford one. They actually bend over backward to accommodate.

Quote:
If a person had to show id it would slow and complicate the transaction and now days it is an card with a pin.
It takes a second to take out two cards instead of one. When people buy alcohol they show ID, doesnt slow down the transaction anymore than all the buttons and signatures required or the cashier having to punch in the number because the FS card is wore out or broken or they have to put something back.

Quote:
I have an ID, but I also have cared for older people and know what an hassle and inconvenience it is to force them to make extra trips. My grandma had vision problems, hip problems and could not drive and you expect a woman like that to make a trip to the DMV? The only way she could go is if we took here and so we would have taken her and that is quite an imposition on everybody.
You expect a person like that to go to the polls and wait in line to vote?

Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 PM

[quote=2mares;45425778]
Quote:

Whole truth. Went in dollar store to by alka-seltzer and nasal spray, over the counter, for sick son. Cashier "I need to see your Identification (DL)". I am not on SNAP, I used a debit card for my purchase. I had to show ID to purchase the medicine. It has happened before.
Very few stores required id for debit purchases. Most don't. You could have used cash and if you had no bank account likely would.
Quote:
IDs can be replaced. If one can get a ride to the polls, one can get a ride to the DMV.
Sorry not true. People who are poor, disabled or elderly have less ability to travel and so replacing something could take longer.This is what the backers know. In my state the dmv opens fom 8-5 m-f. There are only a few dmv with weekend hours and they are from 6:30-12:00 on Saterday only. Should someone discover that they need an id too close to election day they could be screwed.I could pick someone elderly up after work and get them to a polling place but should I find out they need id after 4 we are screwed. If i need to use the bus to get the id then it could take twice as long as driving so realisticly 2. However becuase some else is taking her they might not get off till after . No time to correct the situation.
Quote:

Most areas will provide a free photo ID for those who cant afford one. They actually bend over backward to accommodate.
it isn't just the cost. It is the hassle.
Quote:

It takes a second to take out two cards instead of one. When people buy alcohol they show ID, doesnt slow down the transaction anymore than all the buttons and signatures required or the cashier having to punch in the number because the FS card is wore out or broken or they have to put something back.
The peerson needs to record and check.not just look at the birthdate and frankly it is for show as most people look obviously over 18Frankly it woud need to be scanned and tied to the ballot to keep an electionn worker in on the fruaad.
Quote:

You expect a person like that to go to the polls and wait in line to vote?

You exxpect a person likee this to need to make more than one trip!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times
A discussion on a local message board led me to look up a tangentially related issue, which led me to an interesting post:

In her decision calling Texas’ voter ID law an unconstitutional poll tax, U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos detailed just how hard it is for some people to get a photo ID... (snip)

Oftentimes, people don’t even have the money to pay for the underlying documentation needed to get a photo ID card. Getting a photo ID invariably requires proof of identification; usually, that means you need your birth certificate. But what if you don’t have your birth certificate? Then you have to contact whatever government office is in charge of that sort of thing to get a copy of it. And that can be a real pain in the ass for a lot of reasons. [emphasis added]

https://rewire.news/ablc/2014/10/16/...-id-just-vote/

The above is an issue I have raised in these forums; apparently some judges agree with me and this is one reason voter ID laws are sometimes ruled unconstitutional.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:44 AM

[quote=2mares;45425778]
Quote:

In Texas, for example, the cost of traveling to the nearest Department of Public Safety office, Texas’ version of the DMV, can be burdensome: Of the 254 counties in Texas, 78 do not have a permanent DPS office. In some communities along the Mexican border, the nearest DPS office is between 100 and 125 miles away. And in rural communities in other states, the DMV offices are few and far between.

https://rewire.news/ablc/2014/10/16/...-id-just-vote/

Can they afford to literally take a whole day off work to get a 125-mile ride to the DMV, wait in line for who knows how long, and ride another 125 miles back home? Could you even get a non-relative to take a day off work to drive you there and back?

In order to renew mine, I had to pay $23 to NYC for a birth certificate copy and then another $40 to the state.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:48 PM

51,952 posts, read 52,370,290 times
It seems like common sense to me to require some kind of ID to vote, to show you are a citizen and to help to eliminate voter fraud.

We had this discussion a while back and I was gob smacked at how many people are opposed to requiring ID to vote. The poll results here look like I would expect them too. Most people have enough sense in their heads but you always get the kook fringes who screw up the system.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It seems like common sense to me to require some kind of ID to vote, to show you are a citizen and to help to eliminate voter fraud.

We had this discussion a while back and I was gob smacked at how many people are opposed to requiring ID to vote. The poll results here look like I would expect them too. Most people have enough sense in their heads but you always get the kook fringes who screw up the system.

I have no problem as long as it doesn't cause me financial hardship, which it did.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:34 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,427,745 times
Quote:
Yes, it may seem to be simply a matter of common sense. But it's not. For example, voter ID could only be effective against in-person voter fraud. There are other types of voter fraud. Earlier in this thread a poster shared a news story about a women convicted of voter fraud, voting more than once in an election. Turns out, she was a poll worker. She didn't show up to vote under a name other than her own; she simply abused her position as a poll worker to cast multiple votes. No voter ID law would prevent that kind of voter fraud.

Quote:
My most charitable explanation of the poll results is that people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the facts.

The stated intent of voter ID laws is to prevent in-person voter fraud; i.e., someone showing up at a polling place and saying that they are someone else. Study after study have shown that this type of voter fraud is extremely rare, to the point of being statistically insignificant with regards to any election outcome. Earlier in this thread I posted many links to authoritative information that is readily available online to anyone looking for the truth about voter ID laws and in-person voter fraud. See posts 46 and 53.

It is not my opinion that in-person voter fraud is rare; it is a fact.

It is not only my opinion that the real reason behind voter ID laws is voter suppression; there is a growing consensus, based on factual data, that this is the case. Specifically, requiring a voter ID can cause a hardship - financial and otherwise - on a substantial number of qualified voters in this country, especially older poor people.

But, people believe what they want to believe (or what FOX "News" tells them to believe) and are quite good at ignoring facts.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:25 PM

51,952 posts, read 52,370,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, it may seem to be simply a matter of common sense. But it's not. For example, voter ID could only be effective against in-person voter fraud. There are other types of voter fraud. Earlier in this thread a poster shared a news story about a women convicted of voter fraud, voting more than once in an election. Turns out, she was a poll worker. She didn't show up to vote under a name other than her own; she simply abused her position as a poll worker to cast multiple votes. No voter ID law would prevent that kind of voter fraud.

My most charitable explanation of the poll results is that people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the facts.

The stated intent of voter ID laws is to prevent in-person voter fraud; i.e., someone showing up at a polling place and saying that they are someone else. Study after study have shown that this type of voter fraud is extremely rare, to the point of being statistically insignificant with regards to any election outcome. Earlier in this thread I posted many links to authoritative information that is readily available online to anyone looking for the truth about voter ID laws and in-person voter fraud. See posts 46 and 53.

It is not my opinion that in-person voter fraud is rare; it is a fact.

It is not only my opinion that the real reason behind voter ID laws is voter suppression; there is a growing consensus, based on factual data, that this is the case. Specifically, requiring a voter ID can cause a hardship - financial and otherwise - on a substantial number of qualified voters in this country, especially older poor people.

But, people believe what they want to believe (or what FOX "News" tells them to believe) and are quite good at ignoring facts.
I can see that it might not eliminate all, but what's wrong with trying to add a little extra layer of some attempt at security?

You need ID to do a lot of things these days, with voting being a very important thing in our society, why not make sure that someone is legally here and who is who they say that they are.

I guess I don't see a compelling reason to not require it. I've heard some of the arguments about it is expensive to get an ID etc etc. I mean if someone is that poor maybe they can get some kind of credits to help out with the expense IDK, I can't recall how much it cost the first time I got a driver license. The cost argument seems sorta odd to me.

I'm not a FOX news controlled idiot, I go to various news outlets to try and get an unbiased view of things, and that is getting harder and harder to get anymore as it sure seems like true journalism is dead these days. It's a hybrid of journalism and commentary, and with commentary comes bias.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I can see that it might not eliminate all, but what's wrong with trying to add a little extra layer of some attempt at security?

You need ID to do a lot of things these days, with voting being a very important thing in our society, why not make sure that someone is legally here and who is who they say that they are.

I guess I don't see a compelling reason to not require it. I've heard some of the arguments about it is expensive to get an ID etc etc. I mean if someone is that poor maybe they can get some kind of credits to help out with the expense IDK, I can't recall how much it cost the first time I got a driver license. The cost argument seems sorta odd to me.

I'm not a FOX news controlled idiot, I go to various news outlets to try and get an unbiased view of things, and that is getting harder and harder to get anymore as it sure seems like true journalism is dead these days. It's a hybrid of journalism and commentary, and with commentary comes bias.
The problems lie more in the hassle which is not equally shared between people. The poor, disabled and elderly often have less ability to get to places like a DMV in a timely manner(before election day) when the id becomes lost, stolen, or expires. It could be due to distance(live in a rural area without transit and can't drive). Time(It takes longer to get anywhere by transit or waiting for someone else to take you and the cost of going somewhere isn't covered).Even if the id is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies