Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of voter ID? Yes or No!
Yes, as Americans have the right to have only eligible voters, vote! 198 91.24%
No! Americans are honest and will not scam the system so no ID is needed. 19 8.76%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 03:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
An ATM asks for ID? I haven`t spoken to an actual bank teller in 10 years at least.
It took an ID to open the account---don't be an ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Which in 10 years could become lost, stolen, or expired. Requiring the person to make a trip to the DMV regardless of health or ability to pay.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
If this were a referendum on a ballot, we would have voter ID required in all 50 states.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which in 10 years could become lost, stolen, or expired. Requiring the person to make a trip to the DMV regardless of health or ability to pay.
I got my last license renewed on line

Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I got my last license renewed on line
yes

and you, UNDER OATH, had to VERIFY your address was still the same

Old 09-08-2016, 09:32 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Vote;

Yes, if you believe America has the right to know who is voting and what's the deal as in many places ID's are required.

No, if you feel that is doesn't matter if people vote and claim to be someone else. After all people are honest and will not scam the system.
I pretended the poll was a straightforward yes-no poll, rather than one burdened by editorial comments.

I voted no.

The requirement for a voter ID is based on the possibility of in-person voter fraud; according to Wikipedia, "Voter impersonation (also sometimes called in-person voter fraud) is a form of electoral fraud in which one person who is not eligible to vote in an election does so by voting under the name of another eligible voter."

What are the chances of in-person voter fraud happening in any particular election? Very small. Very, very small.

From a 2012 study: "A News21 analysis of 2,068 alleged election-fraud cases since 2000 shows that while fraud has occurred, the rate is infinitesimal, and in-person voter impersonation on Election Day, which prompted 37 state legislatures to enact or consider tough voter ID laws, is virtually non-existent."

And

"In an exhaustive public records search, News21 reporters sent thousands of requests to elections officers in all 50 states, asking for every case of fraudulent activity including registration fraud, absentee ballot fraud, vote buying, false election counts, campaign fraud, casting an ineligible vote, voting twice, voter impersonation fraud and intimidation.

"Analysis of the resulting comprehensive News21 election fraud database turned up 10 cases of voter impersonation. With 146 million registered voters in the United States during that time, those 10 cases represent one out of about every 15 million prospective voters."

See also: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ballots-cast/

Voter ID is a solution looking for a problem. It is an unnecessary burden on Americans driven not out of a desire to ensure that every single voter is properly registered to vote, but rather to decrease the number of poor and/or minority-but-otherwise-eligible voters from voting.

The Brennan Center for Justice issued a report on this in 2012. From the executive summary:

Quote:
1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays.
Voter ID laws are simply efforts to achieve selective voter suppression.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:39 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times
[quote=chirack;45403291]
Quote:
1. The nasal spray contained a narcotic.
So?
Quote:
2. Ever heard of direct deposit or cash?
Sure. My employer doesn't do direct deposit. People still use checks dear, I'm still occasionally ID'd using my debit card.
Quote:
3. lol, never heard of that unless you mean pick the kids up early from school or you are dealing with a very small child.
Yes exactly.

Quote:
4. To submit a application for the assistance yes, but you do not need an id to use food stamps, to use section 8, and so on.
You should. The point is still most people will need a picture ID at some point.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM

36,514 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
The Brennan Center for Justice issued a report on this in 2012. From the executive summary:

Quote:
1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays.
Well BooHoo I live 20+ miles from the nearest DMV with limited business hours and I work for Im not available all day long.

So for some reason blacks and the poor just cant get to a DMV to get a picture ID but they manage to get to the SS office, welfare office, health department or dr. office, court, wal mart, etc.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
And it took an ID to register to vote. That is where the eligibility to vote in a given district is validated. Eligibility isn't established at the poell (unless there is same day registration).

The standard of proving identity is the same at most pharmacies as it is at a voting location. Name, month and day of birth (we don't ask the year because so many are sensative about it) and address. I have been both a pharmacy tech and an election judge. Yes there are some drugs that require more ID because of none abuse issues. In years of being an election judge at both early and election day voting I have never seen a case where having an ID would make a difference one way or another. The big problem is when people have moved and not updated their voter registration (or thought updating it on their Drivers License or at the Post Office should have updated it) and are not registered where they live but at an old address in another district. In that case they are required to vote on a provisional ballot that can have their registration confirmed before their ballot (still in a sealed envelope) will be put in the stack to be counted.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Voter ID laws are simply efforts to achieve selective voter suppression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And it took an ID to register to vote. That is where the eligibility to vote in a given district is validated. Eligibility isn't established at the poell (unless there is same day registration).

voter id doesn't suppress voting

what it does, is make sure you are WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE, and THAT YOU ARE VOTING IN THE CORRECT DISTRICT

id should be shown to register...then ID should be shown to show you ARE that registered voter, and that you (by your RESIDENCE) are voting in the correct district, and you are only voting ONCE

Many get away with it...this one was caught
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...oting/2530119/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies