Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times

Advertisements

The British news station had a show on about Chicago violence last night. I've seen statistics, read "Chicago Tribune" stories, all the handwringing, crying in the beer stories, etc.

This story was a rude awakening. The life of people on Chicago's westside, the things they do, think, get through the day, was like nothing I had ever seen or imagined. There's no way to understand it. Let alone explain how completely alien their lives are to the varieties of normal that almost everyone else lives.

So I won't try.

But one thing stuck out, an observation that put Chicago violence in horrid perspective: Since 2001, more Americans have died violently in Chicago than in Afganistan and Iraq COMBINED.

If this isn't the saddest statistic in the world I don't want to see which is. Iraq gave the US Senate to the Democrats in 2006. Afganistan gave the presidency to the Republicans in 2004. Politicians have made their careers supporting or opposing American actions or inactions in these places.

Yet Chicago goes on, a meat grinder. Like Aztec priests offering daily human sacrifices to their sun god. How can this monument to murder go on? Right in the middle of our country, ignored. No politician pays any price, takes any responsibility, offers any ideas.

Finger pointing is all we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
don't you understand? if we would just outlaw guns, then all this would go away. All these killers would join arm in arm and sing songs of peace.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The British news station had a show on about Chicago violence last night. I've seen statistics, read "Chicago Tribune" stories, all the handwringing, crying in the beer stories, etc.

This story was a rude awakening. The life of people on Chicago's westside, the things they do, think, get through the day, was like nothing I had ever seen or imagined. There's no way to understand it. Let alone explain how completely alien their lives are to the varieties of normal that almost everyone else lives.

So I won't try.

But one thing stuck out, an observation that put Chicago violence in horrid perspective: Since 2001, more Americans have died violently in Chicago than in Afganistan and Iraq COMBINED.

If this isn't the saddest statistic in the world I don't want to see which is. Iraq gave the US Senate to the Democrats in 2006. Afganistan gave the presidency to the Republicans in 2004. Politicians have made their careers supporting or opposing American actions or inactions in these places.

Yet Chicago goes on, a meat grinder. Like Aztec priests offering daily human sacrifices to their sun god. How can this monument to murder go on? Right in the middle of our country, ignored. No politician pays any price, takes any responsibility, offers any ideas.

Finger pointing is all we get.
A minority of the black population trends hood rat.

Most shootings occur in 5 out of 25 Police Districts in Chicago.

No one has yet figured out how to fix hood rat.

No one has figured out how to magically rewire the brain to cause cognition to mature and control impulse.

No worries. Trump has promised to ( magically) end the local violence beginning 1/20/2017.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
don't you understand? if we would just outlaw guns, then all this would go away. All these killers would join arm in arm and sing songs of peace.
NYC/ NY has stricter gun laws than Chicago/ Illinois and has a lower gun homicide rate than Chicago.

Hood rat does not care about laws.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Guns in the US have killed more people than all our wars combined since the American Revolution, that includes the Civil War, Vietnam, Korea...

Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
Well because Republicans are racist. Oh wait, the city is a democratically run city. Well the city is just recovering from the Republican damage that was done. Oh wait there hasn't been a Republican mayor since 1930. Well it is the racist NRA and all the guns they promote. Oh wait Chicago has some of the most strict firearm laws in the nation.

Shocked at the statement that more Americans have died in Chicago, I will have to research that, hard to believe.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Guns in the US have killed more people than all our wars combined since the American Revolution, that includes the Civil War, Vietnam, Korea...
Please name one gun that went out and killed anybody or call yourself a liar from this point on.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I laugh every single time people say some stupid like this

"GUN kill more than...." as if guns have minds of their own. Poor guns.

vegetable saved more lives than doctors. How's that?

Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NYC/ NY has stricter gun laws than Chicago/ Illinois and has a lower gun homicide rate than Chicago.

Hood rat does not care about laws.
Chicago definitely has a problem but all considered Alaska and Louisiana, Mississippi have a higher homicide rate, Illinois is somewhere in the middle. There are many reasons for the violence in Chicago.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please name one gun that went out and killed anybody or call yourself a liar from this point on.
I stated a fact, your point your point is not very mature, I guess when the CDC indicates Motor Vehicle deaths you also take exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies