Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:28 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
We dont control football majority of the teams are owned by whites. We dont control music majority of the big record labels are owned by whites. majoroty of the basketball teams are owned by whites.
We are profiting very nicely from these endeavors. And if they spend their money wisely - have the opportunity to close the gap with regards to long term wealth.

But then it goes back to something many in our community does not want to deal with - their own life choices.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think what he was pointing out is how whites murdered black wealth and success historically....and since wealth is generally passed down that such helps to explain why black wealth today is so far behind that of whites on a per capita basis. Correct me if I am wrong OP.

The black community today....would be a source of a lot of "old money" if what we worked for in the past was fairly compensated. That old come would then be a leverage for making a lot of new money. We should be one of the richest communities in the nation.....given how deep our generations run in this nation.
Sure you would, more excuses.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:32 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Regarding inner city poverty issue,

In episode of World of Ideas, Dr. William Julius Wilson, author and sociologist, argues that the time to throw up our hands in despair has not yet arrived; he believes that most inner-city blacks stay poor not because they are black, but because they live in the wasteland of the inner city.

William Julius Wilson: Solving Black Inner-City Poverty | BillMoyers.com

I think it is such an interesting article.

I happened to date a guy from Detroit, Michigan, and another guy from Kansas. Both are white guys. I have seen how people in their neighborhood struggled. No jobs, no opportunities.

I think politicians want to see all of us divided. I think globalization and open door policy are two major reasons why middle class is shrinking.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
This is just one of the examples of how things happen. There are plenty of stories like this some families
Recovered and a lot of them didn't. Fast forward to today we have come along way and I'm happy for the progress that's been made but we have a long way to go. The story of July Perry

#OcoeeMassacre 1920. He was a very successful black businessman who was an advocate for the economic and political empowerment of black people. He fought for his right to vote at the Nov 2, 1920 elections and was given that right by Judge John Cheney (who was looking to capitalize on the black vote for election into the Senate, but I digress). At the polls his right to vote was not recognized. He was imprisoned that night. A few hours later a white mob dragged him out of the jail cell, tied him to the back of the car and dragged him through the city. They, then, hung him from a light post and riddled his body with bullets. They followed his lynching with burning down the homes of the black community. Those who survived fled into the orange groves and did not return back to their homes in Ocoee. Ocoee became an all white town and no black person entered the area for 60 years. The murderer's and their families stole the land and property of the black residents, including that of July Perry. Anyone who attempted to take his body down was threatened. A photographer took pictures of his body and sold it for 25 cents. White business owners proudly hung the picture of his lynching in their store windows.He was buried in an unmarked grave which did not receive a headstone until 2002 through the efforts of the West Orange Reconciliation Task Force. He is a martyr and hero. His death will not be in vain. We will bring honor to his memory and the victims of the Ocoee Massacre. The best thing anyone can do is spread the word. This massacre was swept under the rug in Florida and national history. Let the secret out so that they can rest in peace.

And this has to do with the present how? This is a factor as to why Mr. Smith, a 17 year black male, decides to engage in drugs and violence instead of pursuing an education and career?

Ok, you have your story above, here is mine:

http://usa.greekreporter.com/2015/05...y-murder-case/

Washington DC mansion murder suspect Darron Wint indicted on 20 felony charges | Daily Mail Online

Blacks as a race in the US are poor not because of things that happened 100 years ago, but because of the choices made by an overwhelming number today.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:39 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
You are correct. I want them to know how black people got so far behind economically. Everytime they mention black proverty. Im going to mention how thet got that way. Many of these stories have been swept under a rug. They explain alot though
I am sure it played a huge role, but the playing field has been leveled, so what purpose does it serve to bring up the past other than not to repeat it, it is of no benefit to post this stuff, other than to stir up some feelings of guilt with people who never even participated in a lynching.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Is this why blacks perpetrate nearly 10 times more violent crimes against whites then the reverse? Shall we play victim cards?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am sure it played a huge role, but the playing field has been leveled, so what purpose does it serve to bring up the past other than not to repeat it, it is of no benefit to post this stuff, other than to stir up some feelings of guilt with people who never even participated in a lynching.
The playing field has not been leveled

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 AM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL!!! White people are overwhelmingly murdered by other white people. Same as blacks murdering blacks today and from the 1970s forward.

However, over the past 100 years more black people have been murdered by whites versus blacks.

Whites have murdered more people than any other ethnic group in America. They even murdered other whites back when they weren't considered "white" like the Irish and Italians and even Jews. They murdered natives. They murdered Latinos. They murdered black people.

You shouldn't bring up whites and murder IMO. I personally believe that the OP is a testament to how far our country has come over the years. Also it is a highlight of black activism IMO as the true beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement in America started with anti-lynching campaigns which began following Reconstruction when lynching started to be more widespread.

A discussion of this era is important IMO as an amateur historian being that it highlights the contributions to our country of highly esteemed Americans such as Ida B. Wells-Barnett and the associations of "colored women's clubs" the "black press" and various local leaders throughout the country who were black and who were American and who went out and lobbied and pressured elected officials to pass anti-lynching legislation and to provide equal protection under the law for black Americans in the face of domestic terrorism. They were heroic Americans IMO and the martyrs such as lynching victims should be remembered and their stories told to horrify our current population into knowing that violence is hardly ever an answer to any dispute and to put a face on the evolution of terrorism in our country.

Wow gee you mean a country with a 90% white majority did the most of something ? If you are going to keep using raw totals for everything , I will not bother with other context and simply brand it as sheer nonsense.

I would also like to see this source that whites have killed more blacks over the last 100 years. The famous lynchings amounted to perhaps a few thousand.

Lynching Statistics for 1882-1968

Yes indeed events like Hay Market square made Americans hateful and fearful of
Germans.

However again Northern industrial interests typically saw only green.

Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters (1925

Blacks were under these circumstances in the economic interest. So most of the whites that hatted blacks were never slave masters, not even during slavery. Most Southern whites hated blacks because they were economic competition. Black hatred and killing of the rival whites were returned.

Now if you are talking about war, then undoubtedly yes, mostly against other whites and as a result of bigger populations and technology. However as of now Africa has many active wars with Congo being particularly bad.

However the problem now in American civil society is black racism and criminality, not police brutality. .

Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
The playing field has not been leveled

Agreed. Today its tilted toward blacks with scholarships and affirmative action, with the exception of the wealthy class in the 1% who by sheer momentum do quite well. They tend to act economically and hire the cheapest labor they can find. They don't hire white nannies from Appalachia. They hire Mexicans.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Thank you for sharing, OP. I have read other stories like this. Wonder what this nation would have been like if African-Americans would have been allowed to retain wealth after slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies