Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times

Advertisements

A teenager rode her bicycle through a mall parking lot when an off-duty officer working for a private security company pulled her down, threw her to the ground and shocked her with a stun gun.

Caught on surveillance video , the 2014 encounter with the girl, who is black, drew outrage. She initially was charged with assaulting an officer before the case was dropped. Now, she’s targeting his Washington state police department in a newly expanded lawsuit.

It claims the Tacoma department’s policies lead officers to attack residents, including minors such Monique Tillman, then 15, and violate their civil rights. Police supervisors routinely approve “abusive, excessive and unnecessary uses of force” and retain abusive officers, according to the expanded suit filed last week

Was the force warranted? Civil rights Violated? He definitely used excessive force. Whats the chances of her winning?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio..._1_na#comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkDBQVkGHw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 11:19 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,027 times
The sequence about 1:35 to 1:40, where he whips her by the hair leaves no doubt. Pulling her off the bike and even using the taser could be justified in that situation, but nothing he did in that sequence in between was a normal use of force and quite a bit of it was pretty dangerous. (I would even say more dangerous than using the taser.)

The civil rights case will be interesting, because other such cases have held that officers are not acting within the scope of their police duties while working private security (and so there is no civil rights case), but Tacoma expressly considers officers to be within their police duties while working private security.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
It does seem excessive from the video but what lead up to the cop, 2 cops pulling those teens over?
What was said before he yanked her down?
Did she resist arrest?

I think if most of us were confronted by Police because we did something to attract their attention which is usually suspicious or illegal activity and we were told that we were being arrested and detained we would submit and not fight back.
It never ends well when you fight back.

I don't think this had anything to do with her being black, probably more to do with the suspicion of wrongdoing and her bad attitude.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I'm glad there are legal venues to get to the bottom of these cases so they can't be brushed under the rug by local officials and I hope justice is served after the facts are fully reviewed.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:22 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It does seem excessive from the video but what lead up to the cop, 2 cops pulling those teens over?
Did she resist arrest?

I think if most of us were confronted by Police because we did something to attract their attention which is usually suspicious or illegal activity and we were told that we were being arrested and detained we would submit and not fight back.

I don't think this had anything to do with her being black, probably more to do with the suspicion of wrongdoing and her bad attitude.
So, people should be randomly arrested because a cop is "suspicious" of something and not from a real observed crime being committed? People should be locked in jail and lose their jobs, etc. just because someone is "suspicious" and not because an obvious crime was committed?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:32 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Did she resist arrest?

Anyone searching for excuses for a cop to treat a 14 year old girl riding her bike is morally bent and needs to be examined themselves.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Anyone searching for excuses for a cop to treat a 14 year old girl riding her bike is morally bent and needs to be examined themselves.
As does someone that has virtually no facts about the incident and no idea of what transpired, but automatically faults an officer just because. But that's fairly common here on CD, it's the cops fault, no matter what actually happened.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
I think that posters comments were at least in part related to the types of claims that were filed against the officer.

For example, you can have unnecessary use of force but it might not meet the definition for certain violations unless he did\said other things or had no reason etc.

In the entirety of the legal process they will need to examine the events that unfolded to determine if it meets certain legal definitions. Discussing those does not invalidate that excessive use of force may have occurred but can instead clarify if the actions meet other definitions of wrongdoing.

In short, the guy might very well be guilty of excessive force but not of violating the girls civil rights.

I'll let the legal system sort through the fine points of this and hopefully reach a fair verdict.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As does someone that has virtually no facts about the incident and no idea of what transpired, but automatically faults an officer just because. But that's fairly common here on CD, it's the cops fault, no matter what actually happened.
Officer? Facts? There are no facts that can excuse the actions of that pig. If I were that girl's father, I'd certainly be in jail or dead because that sorry excuse would be too.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-08-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Officer? Facts? There are no facts that can excuse the actions of that pig. If I were that girl's father, I'd certainly be in jail or dead because that sorry excuse would be too.
Case in point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies