Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the protesting NFL players cowards because they won't criticize Obama's failures?
Yes 75 50.00%
No 75 50.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 06:02 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
These players are protesting what is happening in the US.

The leader of the US is Obama.

Under the last nearly 8 years, race relations have deteriorated and police brutality has increased.

Why are they not criticizing Obama? Are they cowards for not doing so?

If the company you work for treats the employees like crap, shouldn't the CEO be called to task on it? Of course. Essentially, Obama is the CEO of the US.
NO , I do NOT think they are "cowards" because it does NOT apply.

Do I agree with them? NO Cowards? NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 06:04 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Looks to be a unanimous yes.
You base your claim on being posted for only 4 hours in the middle of Sunday?

Hopeless!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You base your claim on being posted for only 4 hours in the middle of Sunday?

Hopeless!
I was making a joke, hence the emoji.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Cowards no, morons yes. Inappropriate protests have done nothing for their ridiculous cause. Kaepernick is a burnout desperately trying to reinvent himself. Protesting in this manner on 9/11 insults all who died that day especially the police who gave their lives for all races.
Most people I know are backing the police. There is no doubt that there are some bad cops but the majority of police serve people of all races.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Cowards? No. Ungrateful pampered elitists ? Yes

Old 09-12-2016, 06:30 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
No. Your awareness of race relations and police brutality has increased.

[thank social media]
So NFL players have been doing this all along and I have not been aware of it?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:34 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I would love to know how blacks are being "oppressed". There's not 1 black person alive today that through hard work and dedication, can't be anything he/she wants in life.

This entire police brutality on blacks has been overblown. Stats show that more whites are shot by police on a yearly basis and despite the population disparity between whites and blacks, whites are still shot at a higher rate. The media plays a HUGE part in focusing only on shootings/killings that involve white officers and blacks. Therefore it seems as if theres a witch hunt against blacks by cops which is just not true. The majority of the time these incidents do take place, they take place due to the black individual either being involved in a crime, carrying an illegal weapon, fleeing the police, resisting arrest, or attacking an officer. Sure there have been many incidents where the cop was 100% in the wrong and those cops faced the consequence as they should!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I don't think they are cowards. I also don't think Obama has anything to do with their protest and I'm certain that many of them don't think he has many "failures."

Obama doesn't instruct local police to profile black people or to oppress people's rights and he as an executive of the federal wing of government, cannot affect the goings-on of local governments...

Old 09-12-2016, 06:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Obama doesn't instruct local police to profile black people or to oppress people's rights and he as an executive of the federal wing of government, cannot affect the goings-on of local governments...
Then why are they protesting the NATIONAL anthem? Why not say they won't play in cities like Baltimore where these local abuses take place? Heck, why aren't they calling out the mayor, police chief and DA of Baltimore? Is it because all those people are either black and/or Democrats?

Old 09-12-2016, 06:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
That said, in regards to the above, I do not agree with the NFL players and their protest based on the fact that the Star Spangled Banner represents our nation as a whole, and black Americans have been integral in the creation and positive evolution of our country. The anthem represents our ancestor's contributions to this country and so I am not "for" the protest in this manner based on this historic fact - black Americans are Americans and our demographic, through countless lives lost and activism has ensured that the "promise" of American freedom has been extended not only to us but other oppressed minorities.

I'll also note that I do not feel that as a demographic we are not oppressed to any great extent. I think people want to do something about these troubling police brutality and murder stories though so I understand the NFL players taking a knee in order to make some sort of statement. But oppression, even though it generally means that one is subjected to "cruel, prolonged treatment," and this actually is something that the black demographic has endured throughout our country's history, being oppressed also connotates being heavily persecuted and at this point in time, I do not feel that the black American demographic as a whole is persecuted to a great extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies