Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
He failed in Russia and many of his men froze to death--some drowning in lakes with their horses as ice cracked and gave way--When the French led armies were marching back out of Russia I believe.

I would have to google it all up as I don't remember much of it.

I do have some issues with Napoleon though. One of my issues is with his racism. Supposedly he reinstituted slavery in Haiti again. I believe he also established racist color codes within mainland France too. He also buried the history of one of France's greatest military leaders, soldier, who was also one of the greatest swordsman in all of Europe. The born in Africa mulatto father of the famous novelist Alexander Dumas. The one who wrote the Three Muskateers and the Count of Monte Cristo. Both of which were inspired from the real life of his father. At least that is the thesis of a book I read. His father towered over the short Frenchmen of that time (keeping in mind, due to generations of poor diets, the average male height of a Frenchman during the years of the Republic was the equivalent of the average height of a 13 year-old American girl today. It's possible Napoleon was not much shorter than most Frenchmen of his time.) and his father was well built and reputedly incredibly physically strong. His father was also a sex symbol among French women.

His father was essentially the rank of what would be a general today. Not sure how many star general. But he was well respected and loved by his troops. He had a falling out with Napoleon though and Napoleon apparently could be very vindictive. So, he had the guy basically stripped from history. But the French still kept lots of records stored away about the guy. If I recall correctly he even had the white widow of the man denied a pension.

That said... Napoleon still had an incredible mind. He was execessively concerned about his image though and tolerated no rivals.
I agree with you that Napoleon was brilliant. He achieved what a handful of people throughout history have. His ego however is what led to his downfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't know whether you are a Russian or a die hard Trump supporter. It's so easy to get the two confused these days.
I served in the US Marine Corps during the Gulf War. I voted for Bernie Sanders. I have read fairly widely and my views do not fall neatly into ignorant black and white two party camps of Americans.

What I would ask the people of the world is that they remember how the United States treated them when the day comes the US falls from its superpower status. The US is not only engaged in a battle with Russia it is engaged in a battle to undermine the entire developing world, and with the recent US sponsored (under Obama/Democrats) coup against the liberal female President of Brazil (trying to put right-wing criminals in charge of the government) the US is attacking the impoverished in Brazil.

The US has an attitude like a plantation owner in antebellum Mississippi. And there is an old saying, "be careful how you treat those on your way up to the top, because it will be those same people you pass on your way back down."

Putin is the greatest active leader of our time. When Lula of Brazil was still President he was my favorite leader--over Putin who was President of Russia then too. I also admired that female President of Chile due to her unique biography. She spoke several languages, was a single mother, and an agnostic, and I believe she's a medical doctor too. Lula never finished high school but he came up as a blue collar worker in a factory. Putin is fluent in a second language--German--and is not only an accomplished black belt in Judo but he holds advanced belts in other martial arts. Or at least one other.

All Hilary is is a talking point robot that will flip flop in a heartbeat. Like most US politicians she's a lawyer (not an engineer, doctor, former factory worker) and I doubt she speaks another language or has studied any combat arts. Putin also has spent a lot of time throughout his life reading Asian and Western strategist. He is no dumb man. Frankly, butt hurt as Americans are he is a far superior politician in almost every way than anyone the US can field.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 PM

Marin is a pro-American Canadian, world traveled, successful in the investment field of energy resources. He thinks the little name calling of the West towards Putin only undermines the West rather than being an adult and taking the full measure of your opponent.

Now, he wrote his book and put up this trailer for it before the worst depression in Brazil since the 1930's struck, and before the Obama administration played counter moves by supporting the right wing coup trying to taking over Brazil now.

Nonetheless, his video conveys it's not just Putin or Russia the West is in battle with. As the US seeks global domination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugncG0QgVA

Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
What makes a man short or tall in the eyes of history? His proceedings, acts, moves, heritage etc. The Russians judge Putin by these factors and characteristics. That's why they voted him again.
Well said, musiqum.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
I see that the Russian posters have come to the defense of their fearless (but very short) leader, which is as it should be. I was expecting more feedback from the US rabid right, though. They favor Putin over our own president.

While they refer to themselves as "patriots."

Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
He maybe short, but he is a more effective world leader than many of his rivals.

Napoleon was short too.
Isn't it funny and a bit awkward that conservatives are now pretzeled into defending Putin?

Also, is there any wonder of Trump's adoration of someone who is a quasi dictator? That's what he wishes he could pull off.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:48 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
I served in the US Marine Corps during the Gulf War. I voted for Bernie Sanders. I have read fairly widely and my views do not fall neatly into ignorant black and white two party camps of Americans.

What I would ask the people of the world is that they remember how the United States treated them when the day comes the US falls from its superpower status. The US is not only engaged in a battle with Russia it is engaged in a battle to undermine the entire developing world, and with the recent US sponsored (under Obama/Democrats) coup against the liberal female President of Brazil (trying to put right-wing criminals in charge of the government) the US is attacking the impoverished in Brazil.

The US has an attitude like a plantation owner in antebellum Mississippi. And there is an old saying, "be careful how you treat those on your way up to the top, because it will be those same people you pass on your way back down."

Putin is the greatest active leader of our time. When Lula of Brazil was still President he was my favorite leader--over Putin who was President of Russia then too. I also admired that female President of Chile due to her unique biography. She spoke several languages, was a single mother, and an agnostic, and I believe she's a medical doctor too. Lula never finished high school but he came up as a blue collar worker in a factory. Putin is fluent in a second language--German--and is not only an accomplished black belt in Judo but he holds advanced belts in other martial arts. Or at least one other.

All Hilary is is a talking point robot that will flip flop in a heartbeat. Like most US politicians she's a lawyer (not an engineer, doctor, former factory worker) and I doubt she speaks another language or has studied any combat arts. Putin also has spent a lot of time throughout his life reading Asian and Western strategist. He is no dumb man. Frankly, butt hurt as Americans are he is a far superior politician in almost every way than anyone the US can field.
You must love that he has his political opponents murdered. That makes him great, doesn't it?

Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 AM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Quote:
To go from condemning others for superficial attacks to engaging in them. Both Hillary and Putin graduated from law school; Hillary going to work for a law firm and several political campaigns while Putin engaged in espionage work for the KGB. Not sure I'd consider one better than the other. As far as languages, Putin appears to be adequate in German (Due to his espionage days in Dresden) which is the only foreign language he is remotely proficient in. Considering how long he's been away from Germany, I doubt he's still conversation-proficient anymore anyway.

Not sure why you're putting so much emphasis on honorary combat accolades but it's true that Putin has an honorary 9th degree black belt and an honorary ninth dan ranking in Taekwondo.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Funny the left defends a liar, cheater, and who knows what else they have done and the left has no clue what the difference is between a strong man and a weak man.

You don't have to like the person to call someone a strong man....

Better watch that sniper fire....

I as named after sir hillary....

But don't worry about any of that..

Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Putin's a tiny little man.

Never trust a tiny little man.
You are free to trust a tall man. Just compare them here :
PicsGroup.com / Images: Putin obama comparison pictures

https://www.google.com/search?q=puti...+obama+workout

Now tell me honestly, who is taller? That little man who is a giant or that tall man who is a pigmy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies