Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,993,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nope, to repeat myself and to be clear, I've tried answering you before but your abusive and closed minded responses that I've shared above don't allow for actual productive conversations.
You never answer because you cant. Thats the problem with this cult. Its all lofty and very vague talk about evil government and freedom and constitution and founding fathers and that claptrap. Get down to the nitty-gritty and specifics and it is just vaporized. The OP is absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 AM

856 posts, read 707,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There is plenty of very, very vague talk when it comes to libertarianism. But what does it all translate into? What policies do libertarians actually live and die for?
Only two:
1. It MUST be "anything goes" when it comes to marriage.
2. No rules about pot.

That's it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
I am a Conservative first and then a Libertarian, I'll say that right away.

Conservatives and Libertarians both believe in the free market and limited government. The difference is how far they take it. While both believe in lower taxes and fewer regulations, conservatives generally support safety net programs (social security, medicare, medicaid, and unemployment insurance) while libertarians do not. Socially, conservatives are more likely to want to use the federal government to push a socially conservative agenda while libertarians want the state's or no government at all to dictate social policy. On foreign policy, conservatives are generally far more hawkish while libertarians advocate non-interventionism.

I wish more of my fellow conservatives would join me in standing with libertarians to end the Federal Reserve, get the government out of the marriage business, end corporate welfare, and decriminalize marijuana.

However, I also wish the libertarians would acknowledge that while having 900 military bases in 130 countries is wasteful, we have to have a presence in the middle east. Furthermore, while marijuana isn't a big deal, we have still have a drug war to fight.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,293,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its not possible to have a donor class in the anarchy society you support? Who will man the courts, who will write the immigration laws, anti-trust legislation, trade deals, patent laws etc etc in your third world dream society? Obviously it would be the people with wealth and power, not members of the 99%.
Courts would be manned similar to current. There would be as much or as little corruption as present. Further judges/lawyers could be held more accountable if it can be shown they initiated violence by accepting bribes, as could the bribers.

Which immigration laws? Free movement is a principle if people are not obliged to pay taxes to support "the poor" then why restrict free movement? It's not like it costs people anything for poor immigrants.

Which antitrust legislation? If the market is not fettered with regulation the market determines success and failure.

What trade deals? Imports and exports should be free of restrictions.

Patents and IP are property of their respective owners/creators those owners use property law to protect their property.

It might help if you stopped looking in the current government box for questions to ask. When that box disappears under libertarianism.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:05 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,253,295 times
The Libertarian Movement is the citizenry having the right to do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. The level of government that would be required to do that is so small as to be almost unnoticeable (except in the inner cities, which are unmanageable no matter what you do), which is why our current government will do ANYTHING to slander and stop Libertarians from gaining any political power.

The interests of government (to become richer and more powerful) are the exact opposite of the interests of the citizenry (to keep their own money and freedom), and for that reason the smaller the government, the better off the citizens. That is the truth behind Libertarian philosophy, in a nutshell.

And BTW, the Libertarian Party was taken over as soon as it started to gain power, which is why it will support things that hurt Americans--like continued open-door immigration.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:17 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,727,285 times
They have clearly stated issues positions on dozens of issues, and how they would like to correct these things if only the d/r pols would let them. lp.org

They believe we should get back *all* of our Constitutional rights, legalize victimless "crimes".

Lots of industries fear losing money if cannabis is legal. The $2 trillion a year pill industry was paying most in Congress $100K to $500K a year maybe about 10 years ago to not do anything that would hurt them.

Libertarians care about the 100% equally. They don't worship money. Most are very honest. Their issues positions are almost always the same as what the majority wants.

They talk about eliminating the IRS, and replacing corporate and personal income tax at the Federal level and replacing them with a national consumption (sales) tax. Many of them believe no corporate income tax would create huge numbers of new jobs & keep our jobs in this country.

They don't want any gun restrictions.

They do not like the gov't spying on every one of us continuously.

They don't like a law that says any American can be put in prison for 100 years for *any* reason.

They don't want the US military to be involved in overseas regime changes.

Quote:
There is plenty of very, very vague talk when it comes to libertarianism. But what does it all translate into? What policies do libertarians actually live and die for?
Only two:
2. No rules about pot.

That's it.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,364,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are the one advocating complete private tyranny though. I could follow you to a certain extent if you were against all forms of authoritarian structures like anarcho syndicalists (against both government and private tyrannies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=A5xNGPtk7no
Well, how are you defining "private tyrannies"? My problems with anarcho-syndicalism are that a) it requires people to voluntarily go along with the idea of no hierarchy of any kind (or else it becomes a government if people are forced to live that way), and b) they essentially think that offering people a job is oppressing them. "Those evil capitalists want to pay you for helping them create products and trade them."

Anyway, it's still on the people initiating force to justify it, not the ones trying to defend against those people.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,996,309 times
Quote:
Only two:
2. No rules about pot.

That's it.

Normally I do not respond to posts this asinine, but I will today for some reason.

This is an explanation of what Libertarianism is really all about from the father of the idea who I would bet everything I own you have never heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtA3qcm3fo

Old 09-11-2016, 01:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,930,677 times
And this thread is how libertarianism always is: a few libertarians really into arguing intricate philosophy, and the other 95% of them who are ALL about the pot and anything-goes marriage.....

Old 09-11-2016, 01:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,938,631 times
Quote:
And this thread is how libertarianism always is: a few libertarians really into arguing intricate philosophy, and the other 95% of them who are ALL about the pot and anything-goes marriage.....

You are just trolling.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:34 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,930,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Normally I do not respond to posts this asinine, but I will today for some reason.

This is an explanation of what Libertarianism is really all about from the father of the idea who I would bet everything I own you have never heard of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtA3qcm3fo
Not familiar with this particular "father of libertarianism" ( how many of them WERE there, by the way????....seems everybody claims their own "father of the movement".)
But you help make my point: scratch the surface of libertarianism and you ALWAYS find lots of.......leftism.
(As you know, your Spooner was part of the First International; you know---just like Marx! )
"Let's smoke pot freely" and " anyone can marry anyone"......those are two big GOP positions. Oops, I mean Democrat.
And it's always the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies