Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 09:52 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
BS.

The state requires you to attend school. You don't have a choice not to go.

The state supplied and mandated education given to large segments of the population was intentionally bad. Again not a choice.

Having children is a product of a biological imperative.
Lots of BS to go around, that's for sure, but at least one aspect of this notion about "choice" depends on when a child is old enough to choose anything related to "inadequate education" and/or poverty...

I have asked more than a few times but no answer, only repetition of the same old "they have a choice" mantra.

Again, according to what substantiates your notions about choosing our life path, when is a child typically mature enough to begin making those choices?

Bonus question: does that maturity come before or after the most formative learning years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
At my workplace, hard work gets you at best a few cents above minimum wage.
Is it because people like you sit around posting tens of thousands of posts on City Data during work time?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Some guy with an investment website and radio show says the top 10% - e.g. small business owners as well as investors and the top 1% - pay 70% of the taxes.

Maybe he and his clients and listeners should thank low wage workers for making that possible?

Here's a scenario based on a previous workplace:

Owner has $500K payroll, nets $3M annually, is in top tax bracket, pays ~$1M tax per year. All employees are in 10% tax bracket, slightly above poverty level, and pay negligible taxes. Total tax revenue = $1M.

Now consider a hypothetical pay raise, a $1M payroll, and employer nets $2.5M per year. Employer now pays $800K tax. Employees now pay $100K taxes Total tax revenue = $900K.

Oops, looks like total tax revenues fell when the low-wage workers got a raise.

you are using a static economic model, rather than a dynamic one, which is the problem most people run into when talking about the effect that taxes have on the economy.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 AM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
So the objection to the homeless is...what?
No objection. They've been irresponsible. Let them suffer the consequences of their own actions.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
BS.

The state requires you to attend school. You don't have a choice not to go.
Actually, you do. Homeschooling. And homeschooled kids have higher academic achievement scores.

Quote:
Having children is a product of a biological imperative.
No, it is not. It's a choice. Plenty of people have no children.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:55 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, you do. Homeschooling. And homeschooled kids have higher academic achievement scores.

No, it is not. It's a choice. Plenty of people have no children.
Kids that are homeschooled do NOT choose this for themselves, their parents do, often for religious reasons. Religion another good example of how we are influenced at a young age before we can intelligently judge what to believe. Also, scores for kids with parents who are involved with their child's education and learning do better as a general rule, whether in public or private schools or homeschooled. One of the sited downsides of homeschooling is lack of socialization. Might this explain your comments and perspective I wonder...

Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Kids that are homeschooled do NOT choose this for themselves
Actually, some of them do. I'm older than that, but I would have chosen homeschooling if I had that option. Why? My public schools were a joke. I already knew more than they were teaching before the school year even began, and teachers made NO effort whatsoever to engage me in higher learning opportunities.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:34 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Kids that are homeschooled do NOT choose this for themselves, their parents do, often for religious reasons. Religion another good example of how we are influenced at a young age before we can intelligently judge what to believe. Also, scores for kids with parents who are involved with their child's education and learning do better as a general rule, whether in public or private schools or homeschooled. One of the sited downsides of homeschooling is lack of socialization. Might this explain your comments and perspective I wonder...
" One of the sited downsides of homeschooling is lack of socialization."

Another myth by the ignorant.

I had many home many homed schools kids (none of them were from the same communities and knew each other) who went on the be college grads, all with 4.0 GPA's, work for me and everyone of them HAD as much "socialization" as everybody else.

I know because that is what I thought until I asked them about it and they explained their "lives" activities.

None of them were from the same communities and didn't know each other.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Is it because people like you sit around posting tens of thousands of posts on City Data during work time?

No because nobody bring a laptop to this workplace.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No objection. They've been irresponsible. Let them suffer the consequences of their own actions.

A lot of people here have objections to the homeless, about 1,000 people and their stuff were cleared out of parks, trails, etc over the past two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies