Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 09:17 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If this incredibly simplistic world view was accurate, there would be very few workers making above poverty level wages. But that isn't happening, is it?
Too simplistic, yes, but also a bit too true for a few too many...

Some 26.2% of blacks were in poverty in 2014 and 23.6% of Hispanics, essentially unchanged from a year earlier. For whites, the rate was 10.1%.

More than 1 in 5 American children were in poverty, essentially unchanged from a year earlier.

Typical American family earned $53,657 last year - Sep. 16, 2015

But of course these folks have chosen poverty, even the children, so let them suffer the consequences of those choices. Let's also cut social services and get back to making America great again!

I mean if we're REALLY going to be simple...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 AM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Too simplistic, yes, but also a bit too true for a few too many...

Some 26.2% of blacks were in poverty in 2014 and 23.6% of Hispanics, essentially unchanged from a year earlier. For whites, the rate was 10.1%.
Interesting stats.

Now look at those who use welfare:

The percentage of those who are on one or more of the following means-tested assistance programs:
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), better known as food stamps
  • Housing assistance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or cash benefits
  • General Assistance

41.6% of Blacks/African-Americans
36.4% of Hispanics
17.8% of Asians or Pacific Islanders
13.2% of non-Hispanic Whites

Participants in Government Assistance Programs Each Month - US Census

Old 09-17-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... I'm wealthy enough to have shuttered my business and retire early. My grown kids have already graduated from highly ranked universities, have jobs, and are self-supporting. So the problem with my position on politics is what?

Exactly.
What, exactly, does our own personal experience have to do with the right or wrong of our opinion? I'm at a loss how to make sense of this sort of rationale. Seems we have very similar experience, but we strongly disagree as to cause/effect regarding most matters of public policy. How can that be given our similar experience?

Is this TOO what you are struggling to understand?

Obviously, personal anecdotes are not necessarily reality for most Americans statistically speaking. How your kids are doing and why is really no more substantiation for your opinions than any of the rest of your personal sense about things. Millions of kids very likely had it much more difficult to grow up and succeed as compared to your kids. It is the statistics (if not the obvious) that matters when it comes to these issues, not your personal experience.

I don't know why I bother with this, except that I keep wondering how you can be serious...

Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
If someone were underpaid, why would they stay at that job, instead of getting a job where they would be paid what they're worth?
If your moniker suggests some further education in this arena, I'm a little surprised by your question, but having once owned an employment agency, I can tell you that the ability for many to simply get a better job where they are paid more than the minimum is a real challenge for millions of people. What they are "worth" is not a function of how hard they work, but what skills they have that are in demand. Millions of people do not have those types of skills, because they have "chosen" to be poorly skilled (according to some anyway)...

Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
How much is their fair share of income?
Again, "fair" is not really the issue when it comes to tax or spend policy. You might as well focus on whether it is fair someone be born beautiful, or smart, or disabled, or American. Good luck with that...

Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What, exactly, does our own personal experience have to do with the right or wrong of our opinion?
It doesn't. And that's why I post these stats:

Look at those who use welfare:

The percentage of those who are on one or more of the following means-tested assistance programs:
  • Medicaid
  • Housing assistance
  • General Assistance

36.4% of Hispanics

Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,104 times
Quote:
How much is their fair share of income?
My big concern is Gini coefficient. A fair tax on the top is one that maintains a low Gini coefficient and promotes strong economic growth.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
My big concern is Gini coefficient.
Then tax regressively like European and Scandinavian countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Be sure to read the charts.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Interesting stats.

Now look at those who use welfare:

• Medicaid
  • Housing assistance
  • General Assistance

36.4% of Hispanics

Only makes sense that those groups most likely to experience poverty will be the same people who utilize programs intended to mitigate the hardships of poverty. No surprise here for me anyway...

Show me anyone who would "choose" to be born a minority in this country as opposed to white, given the odds one will enjoy better than average economic standing, and I will show you someone who doesn't understand these numbers or cause/effect in the least. Hint: racism has been a large part of the cause and has had quite an effect, along with a good many other complex factors that most people prefer to simply ignore.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Then tax regressively like European and Scandinavian countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Be sure to read the charts.
And/or spend a whole lot more on transfer programs..., remember?

"They spend a whole lot more on transfer programs, education and health services, and other initiatives that are redistributive in impact."

Let's at least TRY to avoid that very selective focus for the sake of better understanding in general, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies