Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,379 times

Advertisements

It's time to put this gross lie to bed once and for all. Democrats were the original party of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and segregation. Yet progressives today would like us to believe that with the stroke of a pen, Lyndon Johnson changed all of that in the 1960s when he signed the Civil Rights Act (1964) and the Voting Rights Act (1965). Supposedly, the myth goes, racist Southern Democrats became so enraged that they migrated to the Republican Party and have voted that way ever since.

It is important to debunk this Southern Strategy myth, because it provides cover for Democrats who would have you believe that the GOP is the racist party. This could not be further from the truth. The Republicans were founded strictly on an anti-slavery platform. They were instrumental in passing the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments after the Civil War to guarantee black equality. Then, when racist southern Democrats created the KKK and Jim Crow, Republicans worked overtime to fight against Jim Crow laws after the Civil War. Nearly 100 years later, it was once again Republicans in the House and Senate who were essential in passing the civil rights bills.

It gives one pause to think that after 120 years of Republicans strongly fighting for black equality and individual empowerment, racist southern Democrats immediately joined them in the late 1960s in response to the civil rights bills. After all, Republicans overwhelmingly had voted for Johnson's civil rights bills in '64 and '65. The Democrats today trot out this myth constantly, I believe, to provide cover for their racist past and to deflect criticism of how little they have done for minorities since the 60s. The criticism that urban inner cities are now Democratic plantations is a valid one, IMO.

Although the best takedown of the Southern Strategy myth that I've seen is Dinesh D'Souza's "Stealing America," here are some great links for further reading on this subject.

The “Southern Strategy” Debunked Again | Power Line

Nixon’s Southern Strategy: The Democrat-Lie Keeping Their Control Over the Black Community | Black Quill and Ink

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/ma...ion2b.t-4.html

The Southern Strategy Myth and the Lost Majority | RedState

Old 09-10-2016, 05:52 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Sorry, but that's a load of bull**** and is an attempt to revise history. Too late. Lee Atwater's famous remarks are well documented and what he said is on audio tape. What Nixon and Atwater did was simple: they knew how to appeal to white southerners by promising to "keep the n****r down" without directly saying the N-word. Atwater invented the modern day "dog whistle" and the Southern Strategy lives on today -- Trump is using it to its fullest.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Johnson was one of the most racist presidents in history, but I think they kept that a pretty good secret because I don't remember it being said during the time he was POTUS: Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist. | MSNBC

Well the good news that with the grassroots efforts of many of our black US citizens, blacks and others are being educated about the poison that the Democratic is for them. Obama was the "icing on the cake" and Hillary continues to "step in it". So, expect to see radical changes in the GOP now that the word is out.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:07 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,063,270 times
I moved to Texas as young child, after the war. There were liberal democrats and conservative Democrats. The only difference between the 2 groups was that the liberal Democrats thought minorities should have the right to vote.

Nobody denies southern democrats invented segregation. But, being able to see another possibility changed attitudes. So did witnessing lynchings.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I moved to Texas as young child, after the war. There were liberal democrats and conservative Democrats. The only difference between the 2 groups was that the liberal Democrats thought minorities should have the right to vote.

Nobody denies southern democrats invented segregation. But, being able to see another possibility changed attitudes. So did witnessing lynchings.

With Jim Crow laws, the south was ruled by the democrats that imposed them.
Tell me Woodrow Wilson was not racist!!

Once Jim Crow laws were dropped, and LBJ was worried about the blacks getting all uppity. They tried the `ol give them enough to shut them up, but not enough to matter deal, because they knew Republicans would take over the south, without Jim Crow Laws. And they did.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:29 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Woodrow Wilson is in the top 5 racist POTUS along with Johnson: President Woodrow Wilson And His Racist Legacy - The Atlantic

Old 09-10-2016, 07:54 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,077 times
Yea, I didn't know Lyndon Johnson was a Republican, wow. He sure did love that N word. Democrats are so sad and pathetic, don't even recognize their own history...or do they?

I wonder is it racist to tell someone "listen, you can do anything anyone else can do because your no different then anyone else"

Or...

Is it racist to say "hey, your too stupid and come from a horrible background, I'm going to give you every advantage possible so you just 'might' catch up to the rest of us"

Yep, that's liberalism in a nutshell.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Republicans were using the Southern Strategy as late as 1988. Courtesy of Lee Atwater.

Sorry, but I will never forget.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Republicans were using the Southern Strategy as late as 1988. Courtesy of Lee Atwater.

There would still be Jim Crow laws, if Democrats still ran the south.

The BLM deal, tells me Jim Crow must still be alive and doing well in Democrat run cities.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:11 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

So you forgot about Robert Byrd?
Nathan Bedford Forrest?(this one goes way back, I don't want you to hurt yourself...Google is your friend)
William Fulbright?
Shall we continue?

Good to know you never forget, thanks for letting us know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies