Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,852,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not even close to being Pearl Harbor. Not even in the same category.

One could make an argument that we had it coming in Pearl Harbor too, given our situation with Japan at the time. That isn't my view, but it's an arguable point with a basis in fact.

9/11 is what happens when the little people that are negatively affected by your foreign policies have had enough, and they want you to stop sticking your nose in their affairs.

Unfortunately, we still have millions of clowns that think we were attacked because "they hate us for our freedoms."

As if they found a copy of our constitution in a cave somewhere and got angry at what they read.
We don't agree very often, but in this I agree completely. Like I know you do, I disagree with targeting civilians or murdering defenseless people who have no more say in our Government's policies than the average villager does when militants launch rockets from their school.
We as a nation have interfered with people all over the world. How many Vietnamese died in our proxy war with Russia?
Iran suffered with a brutal dictator that we supported.
Cuba?
South America
South East Asia in general and we are still trying to pull strings there.
The Middle East and our very biased approach to Israel.
The term is called blow back, and it is very real. 911 is the result of blow back, our own arrogance and lack of meaningful security.
We spend more than the next 25 countries combined on our national defense and almost none of that defense is used to defend this nation. It is used to defend our alleged interests and those of our supposed allies.
We attacked Iraq after 911. How many Iraqis were hijackers that day? Saddam was a bad guy, not question about it, but he had nothing to do with 911.
Now we have involved ourselves in both Libya and Syria. None of our business. We have learned nothing from 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:30 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,852,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Sooooooo, every sour trade deal, every billion spent on oil was a crime? I would concede your point up to the point where they decided to attack. By being the "Pearl Harbor of our time" I simply was referencing the body count. Not the zeitgeist in society at the time.

There is never, ever a good excuse for bad behavior to include yes, the US. However, I think your view would be a bit more skewed had we bombed THEIR largest structures and killed roughly 3,000 of THEIR people with THEIR airlines, don't you think?

Are we perfect? Far from it but, I think we get it right more than we get it wrong....our advances lead our declines.....and besides, you don't see people getting in boats to leave the US, do you? Although we sure get a lot of boats, and innertubes for that matter, arriving on our shores on a routine basis?
It's all about perspective. The fact is we have involved ourselves in the ME. The fact is and most of the world agrees that we turn a blind eye to Israel's misdeeds. Misdeeds that we would at the very least relieve our own generals for if they did it. We can say that Israel did it not us. But, who defends and shields Israel every time their actions are called into question?
It doesn't matter if Israel is right or wrong. The perception is that Israel is our puppet and they use weapons that we sold to them.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,331,936 times
Stupid, stupid, liberal comments. I'm glad I'm too old to have to worry about the repercussions of the anti-Semitic, hateful, uneducated, America hating Progressives impacting my life. My kids and their kids will have to fight their own battles. I feel for them.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-12-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 06:05 PM

17,372 posts, read 9,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If not for the phrase, "Remember the Alamo," how many people would remember the Alamo?
The public's attention span is short and we can never be allowed to forget the horror of 9/11.

It's painful to watch people like Jessie Watters interview people who don't know who we fought in the Revolutionary War.
Texans are still taught Texas History, but the Snowflakes are taught what their leftist teachers choose.
Waters should have done a segment on "What happened on 9-11 and why does it matter?"

He would have gotten that Deer in the Head Lights Look from the Snowflakes.
#Clueless

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Stupid, stupid, liberal comments. I'm glad I'm too old to have to worry about the repercussions of the anti-Semitic, hateful, uneducated, America hating Progressives impacting my life. My kids and their kids will have to fight their own battles. I feel for them.
What comments have you so riled up?

Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,214,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It's all about perspective. The fact is we have involved ourselves in the ME. The fact is and most of the world agrees that we turn a blind eye to Israel's misdeeds. Misdeeds that we would at the very least relieve our own generals for if they did it. We can say that Israel did it not us. But, who defends and shields Israel every time their actions are called into question?
It doesn't matter if Israel is right or wrong. The perception is that Israel is our puppet and they use weapons that we sold to them.
I'm not Israel's biggest fan but, you do know they sell the US quite a bit of hardware and technology too, don't you? Much of which was created with our foreign aid. Good or bad, we have painted a bullseye on our back with each Billion we send them.

Regardless, the alternatives are probably worse. The problem with many Democrats is they think they can negotiate with anyone with a successful outcome. How does one do that with Despots who really, really, really don't give a flyin' f about their own people?

No, the best you can do is keep a lid on it......much like we did for decades with Sadaam. Bad guy but, he did keep a relative uneasy peace in that he was so busy threatening his neighbors we usually became a 2nd place ill.....

We love oil. We are addicted to cheap oil. And by God, you and I demand it in everything we do. Much like castigating the farmer with your mouth full, try to remember you ARE in an oil economy and without sufficient alternatives, we carry a yoke about our necks that resembles more of an albatross than an eagle. We will continue making deals with relatively evil sorts to keep the oil flowing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to keep a truce. I'm not saying we should ignore the ME and their collective plight. However, I AM saying that you need to do it with your eyes open and less of a Collegiate eye and more of a shrewd negotiator. Like an inmate, you simply can't trust them. Turn your back for a moment and they are knocking down buildings and killing 13 people at an office party in San Bernadino.

The most you and I can hope for is that we have a commander in chief who is equally threatening and much less on appeasement when his own people are getting smoked. Don't you think?

Put me in control and I'll make Oswald look like a 15 year old cheerleader shooting her first .22. Respecting us is one thing, fearing us is much more effective. It's the romantic language of the middle east. Always has, always will be. It's what they know. Just look at the ME and Africa at large.

Find much peace with our without us, there?

Live with that.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 PM

22,626 posts, read 24,477,017 times
Brainwashing, the whole jingoism thingy has a Sheepleizing effect on many US-Murrcans.

More people into jingoistic Sheeple..........Fedgov likes.

Old 04-27-2019, 04:57 PM

34,719 posts, read 16,746,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I understand the importance of the day and I do somberly reflect the thousands of lives that were lost and the ingrained visions of that morning. But it seems to me as each year passes, the general message of never forget almost seems like a plea out of fear that we will forget. Why is there such a strong assumption with 9/11 about forgetting, at least in the message I hear annually?
Because we have forgotten. People were shocked by Sri Lanka last week. They had no right to be shocked.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,624,395 times
People today hardly know that 9/11 happened.

I just spent an hour with a dude who is in college and he didn't even know about the GWB Great Recession! He was too young to feel it even though he lived in Ground Zero for foreclosures (Lee Cty, Florida). I had to fill him in on history.

I notice here...on CD on another thread about the shooting of the Temple today...a member is saying "Remember 9/11 and how many Islam killed".....

It's a funny thing. The same person doesn't mention:
1. Those WERE NOT US Citizens
2. They were mostly from, and financed by, Saudi Arabia
3. Our current POTUS allowed the Saudis to get away with murdering an American based Journalist.
4. Our current POTUS brags about more and more weapons sales to same....
5. Our current POTUS will Veto the bipartisan effort to stop said weapons from killing poor people in Yeme.
6. That we killed, starved and displaced MILLIONS....who had no part in 9/11, as "retribution".
7. That we spent TRILLIONS.....basically making things worse (the money to shoot Bin Laden was well spent tho).

Somehow all these things are passed over! It's a truly fantastic rewriting of history.

I wonder if Texas schoolbooks note that GWB gave all the Saudis in-country special exceptions to leave the USA in the days after - this included many who may have been implicated. Some mysterious folks who abandoned their place here in Sarasota a WEEK before the attacks....left with food in the fridge and abandoned their valuable house......just disappeared. Yet they had been living in the same county where the 911 hijackers did their pilot training and were a Saudi Diplomatic family with connections to the hijackers.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...thwest-florida

https://www.floridaphoenix.com/2018/...ses-the-truth/

Last edited by craigiri; 04-27-2019 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies