Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Either way, it is a conflict of interest of sorts. They are throwing money at prohibition, while having 2 drugs based on cannabis, and other drugs that are deadly.

Whole plant medicine has been proven to be far superior to big pharmas attempts at synthesized cannabinoids.

They want to drop the old bull **** line of "think of the children" while discussing the reformation of cannabis laws, but any kid that can get into a medicine cabinet can potentially get into their deadly pills.
Bidness is bidness. Corps is people. That's our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
A safe, easy-to-grow plant that can't be patented that rivals addictive and dangerous pharmaceuticals when it comes to pain relief?

Of course Big Pharma is going to kick and scream against ending the war on cannabis.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My dentist prescribed Vicodin to me this year for a tooth extraction.

I declined.

Generic Vicodin is the most widely prescribed drug for Medicare
beneficiaries. Half of those scripts are written by Primary Care Physicians.

The 2014 reclassification of Vicodin limits scripts to a 30 day supply and requires a face to face between Md and patient, no?
Don't forget that Medicare Part D prescription costs drop significantly anytime a medical marijuana law is implemented. $500,000 is nothing compared to what marijuana is already costing them according to this article, so no wonder Big Pharma is fighting it.

After Medical Marijuana Legalized, Medicare Prescriptions Drop For Many Drugs : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
How interesting.

Thanks to the DEA, there is no Doctor in Arizona that will even THINK of prescribing Vicodin for my chronic pain.
If a doctor won't prescribe it, there is usually a reason for it. Like they think the person is faking it.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:38 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A controversial pharmaceutical company that makes a highly addictive opioid donated $500,000 to a campaign fighting a ballot measure in Arizona that would legalize recreational marijuana.

Proponents of the measure, Proposition 205, see Insys Therapeutics, the company behind the major contribution, as emblematic of the way the makers of dangerous painkillers block legalization efforts to pad their own profit margins. Marijuana is a cheaper and safer alternative to drugs that the likes of Insys sell, the advocates argue.

These companies know that people are finally waking up to their addictive drugs that kill. It is sad that these companies would rather see more profits and deaths..

Maker Of Dangerous Opioid Is Spending Big To Stop Legal Pot In Arizona | Huffington Post
Not going to work. Cannabis will be legal everywhere soon

Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My dentist prescribed Vicodin to me this year for a tooth extraction.

I declined.

Generic Vicodin is the most widely prescribed drug for Medicare
beneficiaries. Half of those scripts are written by Primary Care Physicians.

The 2014 reclassification of Vicodin limits scripts to a 30 day supply and requires a face to face between Md and patient, no?
I had shingles earlier this summer. I was offered a prescription for pain with all the warnings about abuse and when I was told they couldn't call it in, I had to take the prescription to the pharmacists personally, I said no thanks, I'll make it.

I will also note though.......while I do not smoke, I did quite a bit in my youth.......I can't imagine pot would have done much for the pain either. Might have helped me sleep though.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I had shingles earlier this summer. I was offered a prescription for pain with all the warnings about abuse and when I was told they couldn't call it in, I had to take the prescription to the pharmacists personally, I said no thanks, I'll make it.

I will also note though.......while I do not smoke, I did quite a bit in my youth.......I can't imagine pot would have done much for the pain either. Might have helped me sleep though.
I think you would be surprised about how much marijuana would help with your pain, today's weed is much stronger than it was 10 years ago, I know people that need a back surgery, others with MS and other debilitating disabilities that all have quit using pharmaceuticals and now only eat an edible a day and can function. That is why these drug manufacturers are panicking.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:24 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I think you would be surprised about how much marijuana would help with your pain, today's weed is much stronger than it was 10 years ago, I know people that need a back surgery, others with MS and other debilitating disabilities that all have quit using pharmaceuticals and now only eat an edible a day and can function. That is why these drug manufacturers are panicking.
I've worked in two states that have medical mj. Of all the people I met in my work that tried it, only one, a very long time recreational user, said there was any benefit. It is not a miracle herb.

I'm not surprised pharm companies are fighting legalization of it. But that does nothing to change my opinion that mj is bad for people.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:29 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I've worked in two states that have medical mj. Of all the people I met in my work that tried it, only one, a very long time recreational user, said there was any benefit. It is not a miracle herb.

I'm not surprised pharm companies are fighting legalization of it. But that does nothing to change my opinion that mj is bad for people.
So the pool was "people where you work...who tried it" ?

How scientific.

And to elaborate the pool included only those who told you, or let it be known to you or others. Someone who id dying of cancer might not feel the need to tell you they are smoking weed on their way out.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

So are Twinkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies