Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Who is gonna mow my yard?
Who cares? Someone will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, shouldn't we stop providing those services?

I keep reading on CD from time to time how other retail and fast food places are successful while paying a living wage.

If we change welfare so the people at places like Walmart are t getting the benefits, shouldn't that drive employees to these other retailers and leave Walmart stuck with either raising pay or going out of business?
For the most part, the other retailers offer worse compensation.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Who is gonna mow my yard?

The kid down the street that sees dollar signs by the high grass in your yard(me when I was 6-18 yo.)

I paid cash for my first car(used) when I was 13, with title in my name

Old 09-13-2016, 10:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Board appoints a Compensation Committee who typically hires a consulting form to know the value of comparable positions. The board can challenge, reject or approve recommendations.

The lion's share of senior management compensation at big companies is tied to company performance/share holder value.
I know, but if the figures are highly inflated in the first place, the consulting firm has to work with those numbers.

Again, I'm having a really hard time believing that these salaries and compensation packages at Fortune 500 companies and financial firms are based in reality. These salaries are an American cultural phenomenon. Other nations DO NOT have this level of absurd compensation packages for their execs.

I appreciate what you're saying MAM, but it's just hard to swallow.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:52 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No reason to justify robbing Peter to pay Walmart worker Paul.
oh yes there is. Wal-Mart wanted Obamacare so they could hold down their workers
under the hours threshold, essentially placing the burden of medical insurance on to
the government.
this has the effect of shifting costs to the public sector.
Wal-Mart has also expanded greatly into medical care, banking, and pharmaceutical sales,
all connected with public subsidy.
It's a pity that you've elevated capitalist ideology to a religious belief.
Unfettered global capitalism has led to monopolist oligarchy.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not a free market. It's a market rigged by and for corporations.
Big time rigged.

I just don't see how people can't see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Those that start a business from the ground up and risk all their savings deserve everything they make.
Those that come onboard though after all the hard work has been done, because it is the first few years that are the hardest, are not risking anything.

If the company does poorly, they pass the risk below them by firing people and the C gets a bonus for doing so

If the company folds, everyone below gets punished while the C walks away with a golden parachute.
Lol...I didn't even know about that story. That's just amazing.

It's like I said earlier, the NFL pays its commish $30 million a year to run a league that a monkey can run. The NFL has never had a franchise even come close to going under, and the league CAN'T go broke if they tried to. It's impossible. It runs itself.

I wonder which idiotic consulting firm did they hire to determine THAT salary!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know, but if the figures are highly inflated in the first place, the consulting firm has to work with those numbers.

Again, I'm having a really hard time believing that these salaries and compensation packages at Fortune 500 companies and financial firms are based in reality. These salaries are an American cultural phenomenon. Other nations DO NOT have this level of absurd compensation packages for their execs.

I appreciate what you're saying MAM, but it's just hard to swallow.
I don't think the figures are inflated at all. The CEO's base salary was around $1.3 million. Most of the rest of the compensation was in the form of stock, which is awarded if certain performance metrics are met. So $1.3 million is the very minimum that is guaranteed (the minimum might be higher as well depending on the exact compensation structure), which isn't unreasonably high for a CEO of the largest retailer.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think the figures are inflated at all. The CEO's base salary was around $1.3 million. Most of the rest of the compensation was in the form of stock, which is awarded if certain performance metrics are met. So $1.3 million is the very minimum that is guaranteed (the minimum might be higher as well depending on the exact compensation structure), which isn't unreasonably high for a CEO of the largest retailer.
Who cares if even it is unreasonably high?

Why do people always worry about other people's money, genital or whom they sleep with?

Old 09-13-2016, 11:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not a free market. It's a market rigged by and for corporations.

It has not been a free market since 1913. It turned into a government and political market.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Walmart saves the average American 2500 bucks a year . They actually help poor Americans without any taxes. Save the taxpayer money by ending welfare.

Those Walmart workers would be collecting more welfare if unemployed.
I don't think so. You must be crunching your numbers on a calculator purchased from Walmart.

Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Quote:
Walmart’s low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report.
Quote:
“It found that a single Walmart Supercenter cost taxpayers between $904,542 and $1.75 million per year, or between $3,015 and $5,815 on average for each of 300 workers.”
Forbes Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies