Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,842,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Did all of this start because one guy said his kids are white guilt free? That led to discussions about ideology, political economics, sociology, interracial marriage and everything else in this thread?

Impressive. If someone was trolling, I salute you.
Actually this thread is based on the article in the OP and his/her interpretation of it. Nowhere in the article does the mother say or imply she is teaching her children to be ashamed of being white or guilty about history.

She stated she is ensuring to show them that we live in a multi-cultural world today. Just because you don't ignore non-whites/Europeans doesn't mean that you are teaching your children to be ashamed of being white.

However, you should also look at the OP title. The OP title includes the words "preserving white supremacy."

White supremacy entails that all other non-white/non-European peoples/cultures in our world are inferior to whites/Europeans. It is interesting IMO that the first few pages of the thread and practically the entire thread, no one mentioned the red, bolded words during the discussions. It is like you all are ignoring the most important part of this thread - the fact that the OP is a white supremacist.

The OP has also admitted that he negatively influences his children regarding teaching them to be prejudiced and to blame their hardships in childhood on being white and blonde.

So the question for me (a rationally thinking person, and for those who actually aren't white supremacists, I feel there are about 4 of us who participated in this thread) is do you support the idea that white people are supreme/superior to other people?

The author of the link does not believe that white people are superior to others. I personally do not believe that white people are superior to any other people. I personally believe that we are all human beings and there is no other race other than "human" but that we do have physical differences regarding our appearance and that that in part is based on our inherited physical traits of which we had no choice in the matter.

So do you think that white people are superior to others? The OP does and is exhibiting some faux concern over the author of the link not being a white supremacist or teaching her children that if they have troubles in life it is because they are white.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My mother-in-law's ancestors owned slaves in the Carolinas and Virginia, some a few, some a lot. I have told my wife and our kids it is neither something to be proud of nor ashamed of. It is just a historical fact that has nothing to do with them. That history did not accrue any financial benefits to her family either. If it had my mother-in-law wouldn't have grown up in an orphanage because her relatives were too poor to take in 5 little girls when the parents died. What my mother-in-law accomplished in life and what my wife and I accomplished in life was based on our hard work and sacrifice.

Some of my own ancestors were soldiers and colonists who fought Native Americans in early New England and Quebec, one of them in a key leadership role. Again, I told my kids it is just historical fact. As with my mother-in-law, my family participation in those colonial conflicts did not somehow preclude my father growing up in an urban slum and my mother growing up dirt poor herself.

To those who feel guilty for simply being born white I say sign over your assets or half your paycheck to people of color if it will make you feel better, but don't try to guilt trip me. It won't work.
On the bold, I agree. I am black and have been in contact with a few descendants of some of the families who owned my ancestors.

For me, slavery happened. It is nothing to be proud or ashamed of, it is a fact that it happened. Learning about it and the experiences of those who endured slavery is not teaching white children to be "ashamed" of being white. And honestly, I don't know what that really means since there really isn't a particular "white culture" in America that I am aware of.

White children born in America or who have American parents and who are reared here are culturally American. American culture includes lots of different types of people with varying physical traits. Teaching true history, should not make anyone ashamed of anything. A good teacher/instructor should place history in the proper context when learning about it.

As a black American, I am equally fascinated by what some would consider "the white experience" and especially so of early colonial people who are not frequently documented in our history texts. IMO history classes in America should focus foremost on the fact that the land was indeed forcibly stolen from the indigenous groups. Also, that America was not initially founded for "freedoms" it was founded as a business operation - people planting tobacco and other crops trying to make some money in "the New World." That the society evolved in part due to the "melting pot" of so many people of varying backgrounds, including various Europeans, Africans, and indigenous peoples. That there was a class structure in the 17th century in particular and that skin color/ethnicity was not as important in that era as one's class and religion. An African slave, if they converted to Christianity could be set free based on being a Christian. Poor Irish, Scots, Africans, and even East Indians were indentured servants. They lived together due to their class and they intermingled/married. Our early society was much more united in class and until the lower classes grew and threatened the ruling elite businessmen, there was no chattel slavery in America like what eventually occurred.

So IMO the topic of race and slavery should start with the above. And we should impress upon our children that until the elite businessmen/ruling class got scared of the large masses of poor, multi-racial people, that there was no such thing as the social construct of "race" in our country.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:36 AM

21,487 posts, read 10,602,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Raise them right that don't happen. Amazing my brother had 4 daughters and NEVER had that problem
I get the feeling you aren't raising them right.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,773,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I agree. I am black and have been in contact with a few descendants of some of the families who owned my ancestors.

For me, slavery happened. It is nothing to be proud or ashamed of, it is a fact that it happened. Learning about it and the experiences of those who endured slavery is not teaching white children to be "ashamed" of being white. And honestly, I don't know what that really means since there really isn't a particular "white culture" in America that I am aware of.

White children born in America or who have American parents and who are reared here are culturally American. American culture includes lots of different types of people with varying physical traits. Teaching true history, should not make anyone ashamed of anything. A good teacher/instructor should place history in the proper context when learning about it.

As a black American, I am equally fascinated by what some would consider "the white experience" and especially so of early colonial people who are not frequently documented in our history texts. IMO history classes in America should focus foremost on the fact that the land was indeed forcibly stolen from the indigenous groups. Also, that America was not initially founded for "freedoms" it was founded as a business operation - people planting tobacco and other crops trying to make some money in "the New World." That the society evolved in part due to the "melting pot" of so many people of varying backgrounds, including various Europeans, Africans, and indigenous peoples. That there was a class structure in the 17th century in particular and that skin color/ethnicity was not as important in that era as one's class and religion. An African slave, if they converted to Christianity could be set free based on being a Christian. Poor Irish, Scots, Africans, and even East Indians were indentured servants. They lived together due to their class and they intermingled/married. Our early society was much more united in class and until the lower classes grew and threatened the ruling elite businessmen, there was no chattel slavery in America like what eventually occurred.

So IMO the topic of race and slavery should start with the above. And we should impress upon our children that until the elite businessmen/ruling class got scared of the large masses of poor, multi-racial people, that there was no such thing as the social construct of "race" in our country.
Excellently and eloquently stated. Whereas history used to be totally Eurocentric in its teaching, for some it has shifted to the other extreme of teaching white shame. A few years back a friend's elementary school daughter came home from school in tears because she was white. Her teacher attributed any positive contribution to society as having come from people of color and anything negative as coming from whites. I doubt the teacher intended to be harming the kids but rather was blind to her own self hate. She was burdening her young students with her own white guilt.

Despite that example I do think that the manner in which history is taught has improved a great deal in recent decades. I used to live in one of the better documented historical towns in New England that for a couple hundred years told the Town's story of the 1600's & 1700's strictly from the perspective of the English. Now they tell if from the perspective of the English, French, and Native Americans, and it is a much richer and comprehensive story.

I belong to a family historical society that was originally created to honor and preserve the history of the early 1600's immigrant progenitor. For generations the society had him on a pedestal for the role he played in English-Native American affairs. Some years back PBS did a special on the event for which he is most known and they did a remarkable job telling the story from both sides, English and Native American. The older members were aghast that any perspective other than that of the colonial English was considered. It literally had never occurred to them that there were two sides to the story. The younger members instead saw a richer and more comprehensive telling of the story. The more comprehensive version stuck with the society and the progenitor is now a far more complex figure in a far more complex story than was the unquestioned hero of old.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM

1,202 posts, read 643,254 times
Quote:
Actually this thread is based on the article in the OP and his/her interpretation of it. Nowhere in the article does the mother say or imply she is teaching her children to be ashamed of being white or guilty about history.

She stated she is ensuring to show them that we live in a multi-cultural world today. Just because you don't ignore non-whites/Europeans doesn't mean that you are teaching your children to be ashamed of being white.

However, you should also look at the OP title. The OP title includes the words "preserving white supremacy."

White supremacy entails that all other non-white/non-European peoples/cultures in our world are inferior to whites/Europeans. It is interesting IMO that the first few pages of the thread and practically the entire thread, no one mentioned the red, bolded words during the discussions. It is like you all are ignoring the most important part of this thread - the fact that the OP is a white supremacist.

The OP has also admitted that he negatively influences his children regarding teaching them to be prejudiced and to blame their hardships in childhood on being white and blonde.

So the question for me (a rationally thinking person, and for those who actually aren't white supremacists, I feel there are about 4 of us who participated in this thread) is do you support the idea that white people are supreme/superior to other people?

The author of the link does not believe that white people are superior to others. I personally do not believe that white people are superior to any other people. I personally believe that we are all human beings and there is no other race other than "human" but that we do have physical differences regarding our appearance and that that in part is based on our inherited physical traits of which we had no choice in the matter.

So do you think that white people are superior to others? The OP does and is exhibiting some faux concern over the author of the link not being a white supremacist or teaching her children that if they have troubles in life it is because they are white.
More from you....
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I get the feeling you aren't raising them right.
I don't care. I determine what's right not you.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 AM

39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
People have a preference to date those they are physically or emotionally attracted to in some way.

Some of it will be what you are exposed to as a child. Your idea of what you find beautiful is molded by what you are exposed to, what media you watch, who you spend time with as a child. Again, if you have been brought up in a minority community, your ideas of beauty will be shaped by those who are seen to be beautiful by your peers (although it's not that simple).

I've lived in Germany and Japan for years, and in Germany, my best friend's brother is a former neo-Nazi. He never had any problems with me and my small Japanese heritage, or maybe he did, he just laughed inside. I had many intellectual conversations with him and I think the key issue with him is that he was afraid being the "minority". He talked about white genocide quite a bit. I don't view him as a bad person, as a matter of fact, he is a very caring man who is very kind to "his people." He is more of a separatist.

I once did a google search, and the question leads me to a well-known white supremacist website. A person was asking if 1/8 foreign blood is considered white. Some people say "If you are proud of that foreign blood, then you are not white, but if you are upset by it and you are genuinely proud of your white heritage, look, talk, act like white, then you are white." I found that to be one of the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Many members in that site don't believe in one drop rule because they themselves have American indian blood in them. I know a lady who has jet black straight hair, the first time I saw her, I thought she was an American indian or Asian, but according to her, she is 100% white with 1/16 American indian blood. LOL oooooook My nephew is a blonde boy with typical European facial features, and piercing blue eyes. He can categorize himself however he feels comfortable with, although society will perhaps view him as a white boy.

All these being said, Unfortunately, very little of the dialogue involving race in America today is positive, uplifting, or inspirational.

I've known my shares of White nationalists. In my opinion, white nationalist is not the same thing as a white supremacist. A white nationalist is not a neo nazi. White nationalists are European Americans for the most part who feel that they have the right to be prideful that they are descendents of Europeans.

They just feel that they have a distinct culture too that is now being threatened of being destroyed for the sake of multiculuralism and they are right about this and they have the human right to be mad about this as any other group in the world would be mad if Europeans showed up in mass numbers and say started planting colonies in other lands that had a main distinct culture such as say china.

So in my opinion, race should be discussed with honesty and openness. I think most people in America are not "supremacist" because think about it, Supremacist takes the easy way out in life. In old westerns, bad guys wore black hats, and good guys wore white hats. If only it were that simple.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM

35,753 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
People have a preference to date those they are physically or emotionally attracted to in some way.

Some of it will be what you are exposed to as a child. Your idea of what you find beautiful is molded by what you are exposed to, what media you watch, who you spend time with as a child. Again, if you have been brought up in a minority community, your ideas of beauty will be shaped by those who are seen to be beautiful by your peers (although it's not that simple).

I've lived in Germany and Japan for years, and in Germany, my best friend's brother is a former neo-Nazi. He never had any problems with me and my small Japanese heritage, or maybe he did, he just laughed inside. I had many intellectual conversations with him and I think the key issue with him is that he was afraid being the "minority". He talked about white genocide quite a bit. I don't view him as a bad person, as a matter of fact, he is a very caring man who is very kind to "his people." He is more of a separatist.

I once did a google search, and the question leads me to a well-known white supremacist website. A person was asking if 1/8 foreign blood is considered white. Some people say "If you are proud of that foreign blood, then you are not white, but if you are upset by it and you are genuinely proud of your white heritage, look, talk, act like white, then you are white." I found that to be one of the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Many members in that site don't believe in one drop rule because they themselves have American indian blood in them. I know a lady who has jet black straight hair, the first time I saw her, I thought she was an American indian or Asian, but according to her, she is 100% white with 1/16 American indian blood. LOL oooooook My nephew is a blonde boy with typical European facial features, and piercing blue eyes. He can categorize himself however he feels comfortable with, although society will perhaps view him as a white boy.

All these being said, Unfortunately, very little of the dialogue involving race in America today is positive, uplifting, or inspirational.

I've known my shares of White nationalists. In my opinion, white nationalist is not the same thing as a white supremacist. A white nationalist is not a neo nazi. White nationalists are European Americans for the most part who feel that they have the right to be prideful that they are descendents of Europeans.

They just feel that they have a distinct culture too that is now being threatened of being destroyed for the sake of multiculuralism and they are right about this and they have the human right to be mad about this as any other group in the world would be mad if Europeans showed up in mass numbers and say started planting colonies in other lands that had a main distinct culture such as say china.

So in my opinion, race should be discussed with honesty and openness. I think most people in America are not "supremacist" because think about it, Supremacist takes the easy way out in life. In old westerns, bad guys wore black hats, and good guys wore white hats. If only it were that simple.
The problem with this part is that most of us have European descendants...and we do NOT have a problem with it !! Except for the true Indians who were found here- we all came from those who boarded the ships and even those were intermingled already! - never the less- the super race mentally really does not stand -as most people have a mix of other - some where in their DNA - even if minute - it's there - so the whole thing is a made up movement in their heads-- who they think they want to portray.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I agree with you on the bold.

However, I did want to point out that that was the purpose of the OP's posting this article. To perpetuate white supremacy. It is plainly evident in the title and in his posts in the thread and it something that everyone overlooked. I wanted to see if anyone would bring it up and they didn't even though it is in the title of the thread LOL. Anything titled with "preserving white supremacy" is highly likely to be posted by a skinhead or neo-nazi type racist white person or someone who has been in prison and a member of the Aryan brotherhood or something. On white nationalism, I do not agree with that either, just like, as a black person, I am not "for" black nationalism. Both breed hate and supremacist views based on isignificant physical traits. Being culturally proud - proud to be an American (either German, English, Polish, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Scottish, Appalachan, New Englander, Pacific Northweterner, Southerwesterner, Texan, Georgian, Midwesterner, etc.) or inspired by one's ancestor's homeland is not the same thing as being a white nationalist. You can have cultural pride and live around other people. Like Biker mentioned, you can join all sorts of historical societies and groups (I also a member of quite a few historical and genealogical societies dealing with being black, having Pennsylvanian ancestry, having Ohio ancestry, and about to join one due to having Michigan ancestry). I also am looking into joining the Daughters of the American Revolution due to having an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War. I am culturally proud to be an American. Americans come in all sorts of hues and from various different ethnic groups and nations, whether they be recent immigrants or distant. There is nothing wrong with celebrating one's ancestry or cultural heritage. However, to state that someone is superior to another group based solely on their group being of a certain hue of skin color, is wrong in our society. We are all culturally American primarily in this country and none of us in America are "supreme" over another racial group. The OP also never state what aspects of being white needs to be "preserved." The whole thread is based upon ridiculing the white mother reading her kid books about other groups of people and saying they would never "go hungry." I can agree that the overly liberal tone of the article is ridculous in a liberal sort of way, but her goal of raising children who are knowledgeable about the fact that just because someone is of a different race, they are the same as you as a white person, is not detrimental to whites unless you don't want your kids to see all people as equal to white people.

On the bold above, I'm glad, that most Americans are not this way, but we still do have them amongst us and it is not a good thing IMO to ignore them and their supremacist views. Just like I don't think it is a good idea to ignore "race" as a whole. Ignoring any sort of issue or conflict does nothing to solve an issue or conflict nor does it inspire any critical thinking or debate.

And to the OP, I personally don't care if you are a white supremacist. You are a dying breed and nothing to be afraid of and I pity you. It is interesting to me how afraid white supremacists are of other white people not hating other people of different skin colors or ethnicities. Women like the author of the link you posted, scare and upset you because they have decided to be "tolerant" in regards to physical appearance.

It is interesting to me that you are afraid of them and ridicule them just as much as you are afraid to live around too many "Mexicans" and blacks lol.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 09-13-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The problem with this part is that most of us have European descendants...and we do NOT have a problem with it !! Except for the true Indians who were found here- we all came from those who boarded the ships and even those were intermingled already! - never the less- the super race mentally really does not stand -as most people have a mix of other - some where in their DNA - even if minute - it's there - so the whole thing is a made up movement in their heads-- who they think they want to portray.
I agree with you, the bolded. I am just saying, race should be discussed with openness and honesty. A lot of people are not really racists.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

5,074 posts, read 2,285,802 times
Quote:

I have kids ranging in age from 26 down to 8, and I've definitely seen a change in what is being taught; for the better, I'd say. We haven't seen much of the white privilege rhetoric personally, but we have a friend who feels her children are seeing it.

From your perspective, does it seem that lately there has been a shift? Not so much in what we are teaching our children, as how? In a few of the media articles I've read, it's not enough any more to teach our collective history as it actually occurred. To me, there's a perception that educators are telling white children that they're... almost 'bad', if you will - because of that history. But as I said above, we haven't directly seen it, which is the reason for asking what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies