Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 06:26 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jews aren't God's chosen people, and NO group is chosen by "God" or whoever.
I don't think we agree on much, but you have my vote on this statement. I missed my chance to invent a religion where god gives me property on the coast. Man, all they needed was a chisel.

Quote:
Truth is, blacks don't bring up slavery nearly as much as you folks claim they do. Whites mention it a hell of a lot more often. In fact, whites are obsessed with slavery. I think some of you hate that you missed out on it.
Now back to the usual. I do not see whites talking about race nearly as often. They rarely identify as a race on the level blacks do. However being a minority I could see this tendency since its one does not default to the majority. Lately BLM is without a doubt the reason everyone is talking about race.

Quote:
That said, if you don't want the past dredged up, then get rid of all history. And if you don't want slavery in particular to be brought up, then get rid of all Civil War history, including monuments and names of places named after Confederate heroes. Do that, and nothing about slavery will ever be dredged up.
Unlike many other people, I learn from studying history, so I'll take a pass. However I have no use for Confederate heroes. I suggest a compromise and emblazon their names on latrines.

Quote:
As far as being whiny is concerned, that's your problem, not mine. Everytime you see a whiny black person, tell them to STHU. It's that easy, isn't it? Well...isn't it?

Go ahead. Do that.
Has my vote , but that should not be a provincial law ; it should apply to the whole empire.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear2014 View Post
All I found in your link was basically a book review by Dr. Thomas Sowell, dated 2012, four years ago. Seems that his reading of the predictions made by Flaherty have not come true. I think Chicago is still standing and has not been destroyed by race riots. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, you're wrong. Are you that much of a lazy sac ? That was just seeding the clouds. There were two black mobs just this month, at least. I posted the links.

Its getting worse, not better. More mayhem today and it every day all the time round the clock. Rapes , shootings and murders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJV1CLTExHQ

Last edited by gwynedd1; 09-15-2016 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
There are people today who sell drugs, just because its sold, do you thinks it honorable, or moral to buy it?
If it didn't exist, how could you buy it?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I don't think we agree on much, but you have my vote on this statement. I missed my chance to invent a religion where god gives me property on the coast. Man, all they needed was a chisel.

Now back to the usual. I do not see whites talking about race nearly as often. They rarely identify as a race on the level blacks do. However being a minority I could see this tendency since its one does not default to the majority. Lately BLM is without a doubt the reason everyone is talking about race.

Unlike many other people, I learn from studying history, so I'll take a pass. However I have no use for Confederate heroes. I suggest a compromise and emblazon their names on latrines.

Has my vote , but that should not be a provincial law ; it should apply to the whole empire.
Well i said that whites bring up slavery more than blacks do. I didn't say that whites bring up race more than blacks. That said, i'm not even sure that i buy that notion either.

I mean, i've been in a room full of white guys when some topic is being discussed and more than a few times, there's some white guy that wants to make a racial point that he thinks i may not like, and he'll say "well, no offense man, but..."....and i'm like, "before i agree to the whole "no offense" thing, let's just see what you have to say first before i agree if i should take offense or not."

This has happened A LOT!! A hell of a lot.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Except for history: what does THAT have to do with 2016?

Putting people in slavery was done by ALL "races" and, was def "PC" back in the day. It wouldn't fly now tho you need to take it up with some countries still in Africa cause some of their people still think it's Ok.
There is slavery on every continent in the world except Antarctica.

But you knew that already.

American chattel slavery was an exceptional form of slavery, and would've went on decades longer if it hadn't been ended by a war.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Default No one knows it is wrong, until some one says it is wrong ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybear2014 View Post
What about buyers going out looking and creating a market that motivates and creates sellers?
You're right the market did exist within Africa, the Transatlantic Slave Trade other wise known as the triangular trade, connected the economies of three continents. It is estimated that between 25 to 30 million people, men, women and children, were deported from their homes and sold as slaves in the different slave trading systems. ( Transatlantic Slave Trade | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization )The traders, traded people to the three continents for mostly agricultural products. The circuit lasted approximately eighteen months ...

If the trades people of Africa had not created the market for slavery, then they would have had to find some other means in which to create their global venture.

Could the ships that left Western Europe for Africa turn down the trade deal? Most certainly they could have. Then the question becomes why didn't they? Perhaps the buying and selling of people took place, across, the three continents and the African slave traders where not the only one's capitalizing on a market. (dunno, just thinking aloud)

The practice of poor people selling themselves into slavery in order to pay off debt is an economic system that dates back to ancient civilizations. It was a definite custom of the day to help a poor person out, by buying their debt and bringing them home. So most definitely that social construct was not dead then. With slavery still in existence in Africa, it isn't dead yet. Could be the Western Europeans did not know those folks were taken (kidnapped) ... However, they do know it for sure today, yet it still continues to be of practice and the West can not stop it. (American citizens are still too busy hammering away at the old practices of its government and citizens to even think of a way to put a stop to the same any where else)

No one knows it is wrong, until some one says it is wrong ... and then enough people begin to collaborate and systems begin to change within social structures.

However, the point being, if the market had not existed there would not have been the massive diaspora of Africans in the West and there would be no argument that the civil war in America was about state's rights.

Had slavery not been a customary faction of the existing cultures 150 + years ago ... America would be a very different America ... makes a body wonder if people will still be beating a dead horse, 150 years from now, in order to avoid topics of the day, that really need to have some critical thought put to and some problem solving skills applied.

When will the fat lady sing, on this topic?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There is slavery on every continent in the world except Antarctica.

But you knew that already.

American chattel slavery was an exceptional form of slavery, and would've went on decades longer if it hadn't been ended by a war.
Quote:
American chattel slavery was an exceptional form of slavery
Only in America? I don't think so ...

Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
quick trivia.

were there more slaves in lincoln's day, or are there more slaves NOW in 2016.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
quick trivia.

were there more slaves in lincoln's day, or are there more slaves NOW in 2016.
It was estimated that between 25 to 30 million people, men, women and children during the days of the Transatlantic slave trade.

Modern-day slavery: A problem that can't be ignored – The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery - CNN.com Blogs

"Obviously there is no precise figure, but the International Labor Organization and respected abolitionists like Kevin Bales and Siddharth Kara put the global number of slaves at between 10-30 million worldwide. At a minimum, 10 million."
_________

The same ... But there is a law against it. Progress.

PS: Do we want to know how many of them are here in the u.s.? Not just as sex slaves, but as house maids and butlers who were all promised a better life, but when they got here, that is not what they got. You'd be surprised to know, or maybe not. Slavery Today

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-16-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Saying that racism is in our DNA may have been a figure of speech, but I wouldn't have put it that way. Because that implies that we are genetically destined to be racist and we can't do anything about it. Rather I would say that racism is a learned behavior, passed down from generation to generation. But we can change.

Obama's point I think is that we have a long history of it in this country and it has proven difficult to eliminate in the space of a few generations. Slavery was legal up to 150 years ago, and institutional segregation and discrimination continued under Jim Crow laws for another 100 years, so the legal framework to end racism is fairly recent. Changing people's attitudes naturally takes longer, frustrating as that may be.
It's still going on in blue cities and states. Dems are NIMBY racists.

The most segregated schools are in blue states:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...youd-expect-2/

Chicago: America's most segregated city - Jan. 5, 2016

Half of Black students in Maryland attend segregated schools:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...057_story.html

Etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies