Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The same problem obtained in Latin America - exacerbated by the conquistador mentality & the apparent abundance of Native People to enslave & coopt. Which also masked the lack of colonizers from the home countries, & the pattern of centralized power (& a corresponding lack of desire to settle the periphery). But that's a different topic.
Mostly b.s. - they were slaves already ! Most of them joined the conquistadors
to overthrow the bloody human sacrifice policies of their oppressors !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:55 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,954 times
Quote:
Well, if by America you mean the USA, sure. The problem in the European colonies in the Americas was the lack of labor to harvest crops, trees, dig for metals, raise sugar cane, tobacco, cotton, etc. In what finally became the British colonies in the New World (especially what became the US), the Native Peoples were dying out (disease, mostly), plus encroachments & takings of land by the Europeans. In the US South, the Native Peoples were enslaved, & when that failed, Black slaves were brought in as a permanent replacement.

But you're quite right, it was necessary to demonize the Native Peoples & Blacks (& Irish, Mexicans, Chinese, Japanese, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Koreas, Filipinos & on & on) in order to justify taking the land & water & forests & game - whatever was available for civilized use. (& people wonder why the study of history is so disdained in the US.)

The same problem obtained in Latin America - exacerbated by the conquistador mentality & the apparent abundance of Native People to enslave & coopt. Which also masked the lack of colonizers from the home countries, & the pattern of centralized power (& a corresponding lack of desire to settle the periphery). But that's a different topic.
Every country today was invaded and is under occupation.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Animals should only be killed by illegal mexicans with pneumatic bolts under fluorescent lighting in a mega factory. Then most of their meat should be ground up and blended together so I can eat a sampling of 12-20 different animals in each bite of my factory made MealDeal (tm).

But seriously, I actually find the burkha/niqab more offensive than animal slaughter. I am, after all, a meat eater and this is how my European ancestors, pagan and Christian, got their meat.

I am not a big fan of Islam, but I consider this one of the more charming and redeeming facets of their culture. Then again, I am a traditionalist.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:57 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
So, the approximately 1% of our population who are Islamic carry out 6% of Terrorist attacks? Im sure that incidents like the Ft. Hood massacre that Obama had categorized as work place violence arent included.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:00 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Mostly b.s. - they were slaves already ! Most of them joined the conquistadors
to overthrow the bloody human sacrifice policies of their oppressors !
Yeah, the Mayans and the Aztecs were so kind to thier slaves. They were all just singing kubaya together according to your typical revisionist

Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Guns, germs & steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Halal industry funds terrorism.

There are terror organizations spread all across the world, 99% belong one religion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rrorist_groups
Yep, if they're moving data, we can track &/or interdict them. Which is still a separate conversation from the primitive animal sacrifice rites, the title of the current thread.

& yah, there are a lot of Islamic-affiliated groups on that list. Ever since the Ottoman Empire went wobbly, Islam - except for oil/natgas - has had a tough time of it in the World. So, yes, TNT & gunpowder in general make terrorism easier for people willing to get their hands dirty. We can try to outlaw terrorism, or the technology that enables it, or we can take a crack @ the underlying causes.

I know which one makes sense to me.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Barbary Pirates being the most popular group of Muslims at America's inception.
Empty blather.

There were Muslims living in this country at America's inception.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
I'm surprised they don't do anything with the blood itself - soups, blood sausage, etc. Or are there religious reasons to let the blood flow away? Yah, letting blood flow into the streets (Dhaka apparently has poor drainage in the best of times) strikes me as unhygienic - surely this scenario plays out every time there's heavy rainfall @ Eid.

They're not worried about mosquito & rodent infestations? If there are actual entrails floating about (per the article), I'd be concerned about dogs, cats acting as disease vectors. Then there are blood-borne infections. Nobody worries about these issues in government there?

See Eid Al-Adha, the story and traditions - Daily News Egypt - this story looks @ Eid in Cairo in 2012, & describes much the same situation in the streets. It does talk about the disposition of the meat of the animal: 1/3 to the family, 1/3 to relatives, 1/3 to the poor (who can't afford to sacrifice an animal). So the social part makes sense. If this scene is potentially reenacted every Eid in Muslim countries, they must be aware of the possible health consequences.

This ritual enacted anyplace with a high water table, though, is going to be a disaster, @ least potentially.

This thread has gone off in directions questioning vegetarianism, slaughtering methods, colonialism, what our ancestors did, etc., but I think this should be the main concern for people anywhere this occurs or could potentially occur. Its not about discrimination or hypocrisy -- in a large urban center, this practice is a serious health hazard.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
yeah, OK Chairman Mao...
Lighten up, Francis. I didn't say religion should be outlawed. But it IS for silly people. Doesn't matter what "brand" of religion it is.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm curious what the reaction would have been had similar photos been posted of "real 'merican" hunters gutting, killing, skinning, and draining game animals?

Those hunters don't need to kill animals anymore than the Muslims need to sacrifice an animal, but isn't it amusing that the hunters are all considered "real patriots who are gonna defend 'merica and what makes it great when the day of killing comes" while the Muslims, doing basically the same thing, are condemned? Is the lack of guns that ticks off the right-wingers? If the Muslims had shot the sacrificial animal with an American-made gun, would that have made it ok?

Rivers of blood? More like rivers of hypocrisy!
Since no one bothered to respond to your post because they know that they're hypocrites, I'm reposting this. Basically, the answer is......'cuz guns'.

I saw a picture of the bloody water & yeah, it turned my stomach. But let's not forget out annual little killing celebration. I went hiking last fall & right smack in the middle of the recreational hiking trail was guts that some disgusting hunter decided to just leave. You want to talk disgusting? Now that is disgusting, coming across a pile of guts in the middle of your hike. Not only that, this pleasant hunter displayed the balls of the dead deer on a bush on the side of the trail. What a pos. But hey, guns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies